I'm getting a Torpedo CAB... How is it with headphones?

Discussion in 'Effects, Pedals, Strings & Things' started by your name here, Feb 7, 2015.

1. your name here

your name here Supporting Member

I've got one on the way. I plan to use it to record and sometimes go direct. However, the main use would be with/without a load box, in order to practice with headphones at night or when I can't be loud. Not sure if I'll buy a preamp or not... Depends on how I end up liking the tone with my current pedalboard, I guess. I've read that a lot of you like the Kingsley pedals for this... If I decide I need a preamp pedal, which one do you all think would suit me? As far as load boxes, what simple inexpensive one do you all recommend? I really don't want to spend a lot.... I'm using a 1x12 Morgan AC20 Deluxe mostly, with these pedals.

Note - I know about the Torpedo Live, but I'd prefer the pedal form factor, as I've got a small side board that will house my expression pedal and looper, as well as the Torpedo CAB.

[​IMG]

2. dapeegoo

dapeegoo Member

Love your pedalboard! I use the Torpedo CAB with Kingsley preamp pedals. I've heard people also get great results with their amp head > loadbox > Torpedo CAB.

3. your name here

Which load box, dudes? Is there anything sub or around $100 that works well? I don't need bells and whistles.

4. your name here

Do you or anyone have an opinion on which Kingsley, given my voxy amp?

5. dapeegoo

dapeegoo Member

I've never tried this load box, but this one is under $100. http://www.ratvalveamps.com/dummy-load

It's important to use good headphones that do not color your tone. I use my Ultimate Ear in-ear monitors when I play through my pedalboard with my 3 Kingsley preamp pedals + Torpedo CAB.

6. dapeegoo

dapeegoo Member

All his Squire preamp pedals are custom handwired, so you can ask him to make your Squire preamp pedal wired as an Vox AC30 preamp. More info here: http://kingsleyamplifiers.com/products/pedals/17/

There are three models to choose from: the original Squire, inspired by the Dumble clean channel; the Squire BF, similar to a black face fender circuit and the Squire AC, modeled after the Vox top boost circuit.

7. Sean413

Sean413 Member

I used a unleash when I had mine and it sounded pretty good !

8. Michael_V

Michael_V Supporting Member

Yes, Simon makes a Squire voiced like a Vox AC30TB. To my knowledge, it's his only Voxy preamp pedal. I have one for sale in the emporium right now.

9. thiscalltoarms

thiscalltoarms more gadgets than Batman. Gold Supporting Member

As far as a cheap load box that works all right for a low wattage amp- get a Weber Mass. You can find them used for sub $100 and they are a complete load with the attenuator maxed. With an AC20 you probably want a 50w load.

10. Semitone

Semitone Member

You know the Torpedo CAB is white. It's going to totally f@&k up your pedalboard color scheme. :huh

11. your name here

Thanks everbody, for the advice so far! I'll look into that stuff. :beer

I know, right?!? Oh well. At least it will be off to the side, and not actually on this board. Haha.

12. Dinosaur Sr.

Dinosaur Sr. Member

I use mine with a Kingsley Squire BF. Pedalboard up front. Works great into headphones.

13. Gilks

Gilks Member

Just a heads up, AMT Electronics has a very small IR loader coming out soon as well. If you can wait, it seems that it could quite possibly be cheaper than the Torpedo. :)