1. The Rules have been updated regarding posting as a business on TGP. Thread with details here: Thread Here
    Dismiss Notice

im getting a tte for live use!!~!.need help

Discussion in 'Effects, Pedals, Strings & Things' started by rkstarr, Jul 10, 2006.

1. rkstarr

rkstarr Member

..i figure with my great amps...elmwood modena..and mako CHW..itll keep the tone and warmth..otherwise i was gonna get the chandler or rockman..I do have adiamond memory lane which is nice...

So how well does this tte work live???for those who use it that way

2. todd richman

todd richman Senior Member

I have not used one live but I wold strongly suggest listening to some of the Instant Live CD's from the Black Crowes tour that has been ongoing for a year and a half-in a word the TTE sounds great and is very trippy. That said, I just picked up an original Echoplex EP-3 after consulting with a few L.A. pros who all told me the original, especially EP-3 model which is solid state and not tube sounds 100 times better than the TTE. Also, the originals, even in good condition are about 1/2 the cost of a TTE.

3. boomchickaboom

boomchickaboom Member

Not disagreeing, but that's the opposite of what I've heard from a few pros. Of course what sounds better is often VERY subjective.

Best advice is to try one of each. I know at least two people who went from a ep-3 to the tte because the originals took WAY more fiddling and constant checking over.

YMMV and all that.

d

4. rkstarr

rkstarr Member

the memory lane is great as well..made my old digital delays incomparably sterile!!!

5. rkstarr

rkstarr Member

6. rkstarr

rkstarr Member

as i play lead..rhythm..blah blah:Devil

7. todd richman

Absolutely agree on the TTE v. EP-3 issues. Some EP-3's sound better than others. I think for consistency sake the TTE cannot be beat. The EP-3 also does require some maintenance and a bit more kid gloves type approach but with a good tech and decent replacement tape they are hard to beat.

8. datguytim

datguytim Supporting Member

Different flavors the TTE & EP3. The TTE is definitely warmer & tubey-er sounding, the EP-3 gets clearer repeats. They are both super-cool. I gigged with my TTE & had no problems at all - sounded fat! Only bummer with either unit is having to walk back to the unit & change the settings almost every song - but it also enables you to sneak a drink of water (or absinthe) as you move the slider! I ran the TTE straight into my Matchless Clubman & it sounds glorious.

However, for the sounds of my new record, and the multiple changes that are required live for almost every song - I am using my trusty Roland SDE-2500. Sounds gorgeous & is programmable! FYI - the Roland SDE & Korg SDD series delays are some the best sounding digital delays EVER. Very analog-sounding OR super clean & clear -your choice.

9. todd richman

+1 on the Roland SDE and Korg SDD. I have owned both an SDE-2500, basically an SDE-3000 with MIDI and program storage and the SDD-3000 which is the Edge delay from the old days and sounds absolutley amazing-something in the preamp coupled with the modulation makes it surreal, unfortunately no MIDI on the SDD. BTW, what type of controller do you use for changing patches on the SDE-2500?

10. rkstarr

rkstarr Member

with 2 inputs..i guess icould run my 2 mono as well

11. µ¿ z3®ø™

µ¿ z3®ø™ Member

i gave up on the echoplex years ago because of the reliability issues, but not before the chandler came out.
    the TTE has supplanted the chandler now.
    TTE vs. echoplex???
    dunno. haven't sat down and A/Bed 'em. don't really care to.
    U can get pretty sparkling repeats out of the TTE by using the 'high' speed, turning the tone control all the way counter clockwise and not overdriving the record levels. as sparkling as the echoplex w/ a spankin' new tape and sqeaky clean tape path? i dunno. my memory tells me it wasn't nearly as sparkling at the end of the night. all i'm saying is the TTE can be made to sound quite clear. or not.
    it's a breeze to use live. exceedingly intuitive. between the high and low tape speeds, the record level and tone being adjustable, the guitar sound capable being overdriven w/ tube power, there's a wealth of sounds in this cute, little sucker all the way from grimy, grungy to pretty darned clear. tapes are a breeze to change and seem to last much longer than i recall either the echoplex or roland lasting. the tape path is also very accessible and easy to clean.
    it's an added bonus that w/ the footswitch U can switch out the delay and use the TTE as a tube driven overdrive that puts most solid state boxes that sit at Ur feet to shame.
    an extremely biased and happy TTE user that gigs.

12. rkstarr

rkstarr Member

13. µ¿ z3®ø™

µ¿ z3®ø™ Member

i see Ur :JAM and raise U a :RoCkIn and a [​IMG].

14. datguytim

Todd knows the dealio! I'm using a MidiMouse to switch, but I'm looking for a more appropriate switcher - the Axcess 5 button thingy looks like it might be the bomb. Any suggestions Todd? BTW - I don't need a Bradshaw/CAE monster board. just banks w/3 presets.

15. todd richman

I was the same thing-Axxess MFC5? It is the size of a Choralflange type pedal and seems roadworthy. In the Pedalboards of the Stars thread there is a pic of Joe Perry's newest board and he is using an Axxess for what looks like it might be some type of rack reverb. I would love to grab another SDE to supplement my Echoplex-kinda like the Gilmour rig with the SDE-3000. The SDE series is super warm for a DDL.

16. datguytim

Yeah Todd - the MFC-5 looks like the bomb for what I need. I love the SDE series - they really sound amazing & analog like with the filter button pressed on. Or clean digital with it off. The modulation section is what sets it over the top - just a touch gives the echoes a gorgeous shimmer that other gear just doesn't get. I still use a Arion SAD-1 in a true bypass looper for ultra warm slapback on occasion , but 90% of the time, I use the SDE!