I'm getting tendinitis all over

Discussion in 'The Pub' started by Oakvillain, May 8, 2015.

1. Oakvillain

Oakvillain Member

Right knee from running. Can't run anymore.

Left and right elbows from hockey and lax. Can't take snap shots anymore.

What's wrong me? Diet? Age? I'm not doing anything different.

2. ACfixer

ACfixer Member

Don't you remember when you were younger, the old folks talking about their "aches and pains"? Well.... what do you suppose that was? ;)

3. Calaban

Calaban Member

Me too. My shoulders and my entire back are a trainwreck.
    45 years old. I can't imagine what it will be like in 10 years. 20 years. Ugh.

4. ACfixer

ACfixer Member

I was cleaning out my truck yesterday and threw a half-bull bottle of Gatorade into a dumpster about 50 feet away on a $1 bet that I couldn't. I caught the wall behind it and went in for a bank shot and I won that dollar.

Today I think I need to see about Tommy John surgery.

5. Tom CT

Tom CT Old Supporting Member Gold Supporting Member

I threw an over-ripe avocado into the woods behind my house a few years back. About 50 feet as well. My shoulder hurt for weeks. WTF?

6. JDC

JDC Member

It wasn't too long ago, in the scheme of things, that average life expectancy was about 30 - 40. At that rate, we didn't live long enough to acquire what we now call "natural aches and pains". Seems as if I've read a theory that, until about 30,000 years ago (due to attrition) it was rare to have three generations of the same family alive at the same time. That would make the 30 - 40 year estimate seem about right.

I know, until I was in my mid 30s I felt ten feet tall and bulletproof lol.

I'm no doctor but it only seems logical (to me) that new disease teatments etc are allowing us to live past our "best if used by" dates.

7. swiveltung

swiveltung Member

67 YO here and it's the pits. have a RA blood test next time you go to the Doc. You may have RA.... especially arms etc.

8. MikeVB

MikeVB Supporting Member

Probably not. Doesn't RA usually start showing up in your 20s or 30s?

9. Jay K

Jay K Member

I don't know about thousands of years ago, but over the course of the last 500 years or so average life expectancy rose dramataically largely because previously there was an extremely high incidence of infant and childhood deaths. To give an oversimplified example, if 1/2 the population dies at age 1 and the other half at age 69, the average life expectancy would be 35 even though half the population was living to a relatively ripe old age.

Consistent with the above and quoting Wikipedia, "During the early 1600s in England, life expectancy was only about 35 years, largely because two-thirds of all children died before the age of four." So although our life expectancies after reaching early adulthood have indeed increased a bit owing largely to recent progress in medical science, I doubt the aches and pains I am now feeling, mostly in my back, are the result of living beyond my evolutionarily determined "best if used by date." For myself, I blame instead lack of adhering to an appropriate exercise and stretching routine.

10. LDS22

LDS22 Supporting Member

left elbow and both wrists. golf related. really frustrated with it.

11. Marcfordsfuzz513

Marcfordsfuzz513 Member

Mom just got diagnosed. Her mom, her sister, her uncle and cousin have it.

I've been having pain in hands a feet. I got tested for RA. My inflammation rate is real low, and the pain I have doesn't seem like the pain my mom had/has.

It just sucks, I gotta go back to the doctors and find out whats going on.

12. Dr. Tweedbucket

Dr. Tweedbucket Deluxe model available !!!11

Gamma Ray detection station on Mt. Kwakkleberry
    Two weeks ago I had several projects going on between the basement workshop and the garage which required running up and down my basement steps probably 12-15 times. The next day my left foot was hurting really pretty bad. I was limping around and wondered what the heck happened. It's like my arch was all hosed up, yet my inner ankle was swollen. I never slipped or twisted it. It still aches. :huh I can't figure out what I did to it.

Last February I slipped on the ice and hit my left elbow... thought I broke it. It was sore for a few weeks and then finally got better. It still is really stiff and hurts sometimes to bend it full tilt.

Yeah, I'm feeling it too. :cry: It's like the years have gone by too fast or something.

Let's just not talk about the lower back here! :mad:

13. Belmont

Belmont Member

I met a really nice woman a few months ago where I work, she's paraplegic.
    she mentioned that her 3 year old son was diagnosed with a very serious and rare blood disorder the day before.
    she was extremely nice, very intelligent and outgoing and a very fit athlete.
    she really made an impression on me and I was really taken aback, she's also an extremely attractive woman, I felt so sorry for her.

that night I went home and did my workout, my knee was killing me, sore shoulder etc.
    I couldn't help but think, man I bet Nicole would give anything to feel pain in her knee, instead of nothing.
    ever since, every time I feel pain, I think of her and it puts things in perspective.
    I take strength from her example.

14. FenderBigot

FenderBigot Supporting Member

Yep... 47 and have tendonitis in both shoulders, my left hip, my left hand and my right elbow. I work out, but my body can only take so much.

15. bluesjuke

bluesjuke Disrespected Elder

Have pain from Tennis Elbow in both elbows and went through a 50% tear in the right side last year.

I run a Prefab Shop= Repetitive Motion.

I told the Dr. keep going like a wolf biting his foot off to get free from the trap.
    Determination is my name.

I will crawl if I have to.

No hero but that is what it takes.
    I have pain but I do get used to it.

16. Rockin J

Rockin J Member

55 yrs old.
    Tendonitis and arthritis all over now. I now stick to hobbies that dont cause more damage and pain.
    I walk on an incline 5 days a week for exercise, no running or weight lifting.
    I feel that I am lucky that I dont have to take any prescription meds, have friends that take all kinds of crap daily.
    The pain sucks but I get by ok.
    When I see people that are having a terrible time with their severe medical problems, it stops my bitching pretty fast.
    If playing guitar starts hurting pretty bad I just lay off for a few days.

17. lefort_1

lefort_1 Nuzzled Firmly Betwixt Gold Supporting Member

Plantar Fasciitis ... 3 years ago it started after an injury stacking hay. It was intermittent, now it's near constant. I hobble from patient to patient, but I do it damn fast, and my medically-compromised patients will sometimes cheer me like I'm in the Special Olympics (dead srs...it's hilarious). By the end of the day there's no limp, so it only takes me 8 hours to loosen the old ankles up.

I've modified how I lift the 100+ lb bales now, but I used to do some shoulder damage when stacking 5-6 ton.

My back...not as bad as most, but it does limit me. I've been working within the limits and so far so good...messed it up in my late twenties (mis-use of fire-trail digginf technique to hand-thatch a lawn...just don't EVER do it, trust me).
    I've been damn lucky it's lasted this long.

Neck...oh fack... in my job, my neck is held rigid in one position for 45 min plus, then a little break then right back to it. Necks, Backs and Wrists are the bain of dentistry. Stacking hay actually helps avoid the back and wrist injuries of my job, but my neck is starting to show some wear...that's why I keep my work week down to 4 days (10 hours) ... safer that way.

BTW, I used to be rather fit:
    between 128 and 148 lbs.
    I could run 2 miles in under 10 minutes.
    I could run a 220 (yard, not meter) in 26 sec in non-cleated Nike Waffles.
    I was in karate and fencing (under Yves Auriol)
    I was in ballet and modern jazz dance. Lifted and tossed little primas for a few months for $ (there is no better job in the world, imo)
    I had a 34+ inch vertical, but small hands that could only stuff a grapefruit.

Mono damn near killed me when I was 21 (a spleen 3x it's normal size) and I could not jog three blocks without gasping for air. 3 months out of work due to the bleed-out risk.

Take care of your body. (uhhhh, stay away from community joints at Grateful Dead concerts... but you won't have to confront that choice, will you? Fugg Mono...and slightly pale hippy chicks at GD concerts... don't fugg them... )

Be gentle, don't go to the extremes (I know folks who did...one won an Iron Man in Hawaii, and can't even sit straight up with his legs/knees flat on the floor any more. So sad.)

And just know that it'll all wear out sometime.
    It is just a matter of when.

/old man rant

18. Rockin J

Rockin J Member

I had the shot 4 yrs ago. Stopped limping the second day. Now have mild trouble with it. Well worth it.

19. lefort_1

lefort_1 Nuzzled Firmly Betwixt Gold Supporting Member

I've done nothing but aggravate it for the past 3-4 years.

Staff bought me a set of ankle-brace-like things that I'll try out this weekend...I twisted it pretty badly about 2 weeks ago (on a really steep, wet slope in the pasture) and the swelling has just gone down so now I can start to consider experimenting with treatments. Our one-n-only podiatrist in the area is, uh, 'getting ready to retire' and I'm not sure I trust him right now. Some days he's there, mentally, and some days not.

20. bluesdoc

bluesdoc Gold Supporting Member Gold Supporting Member

Yeah, no kidding. Almost 69 here. So many wrecked parts. Prolotherapy worked wonders on some of it (cured elbows and rotator cuff tears), but I have the spine of a 99 year old, and then there's Lyme.... oy.... :facepalm And yet, on good days, I can do 70 pushups and I can sprint a bit. Go figure :rolleyes: But I never stopped exercising - for the last 50 years. No way to glide through this unless you've got some very well chosen genes :jo

jon