I'm giving a standing ovation to Eddie Van Halen

Discussion in 'The Sound Hound Lounge' started by Ben R, Jan 29, 2012.

1. Ben R

Ben R Member

I’m giving a standing ovation for Eddie Van Halen. After hearing all of the longer (90 second) clips of some of the new Van Halen songs (go here: http://www.youtube.com/user/VHFrance ), I am convinced that this guy has not played guitar this well since possibly before Sammy Hagar joined the band. On pretty much all of these longer clips, there are moments where a new interesting part of the song (bridge / riff / whatever) kicks in and I think, "Whoah... That's f#cking cool!" And, his actual performances are TIGHT. With the possible exception of 5150, I don't think they've put out an album with as many songs that I dig since 1984. Ed's playing is out of this world (especially compared to the last 3 or more albums). I think that Wolfgang is one of the best things that ever happened to him. He has inspired and refocused his dad. For as much as I occasionally miss Mike Anthony and his backing vocals (seems like a nice guy, too), I think that Ed needed his son intimately involved in his life. But, I digress. This **** is GREAT!

Anyway, as I said (see the link above), some guy from France uploaded 90 second previews of the new songs to his youtube account. You can hear a minute and a half from the middle of these songs. I really like "You and Your Blues" (good chorus) and "As Is" more than I thought I would. "Big River" has a great hook for the chorus, too. It's all good stuff. "She's the Woman" is really cool. I actually like most of 'em. I'm pumped!

In summary, congratulations to Eddie Van Halen for playing the guitar better than he has since I was a kid. His chops are back. He actually “picks” solos and doesn’t rely on dive bombs. The licks and riffs (even the new ones that didn’t used to be old demos) are very interesting. I have to admit that I had my doubts at times and would never have bet on him playing stuff so well and coming up with ideas quite this good and this interesting again.

http://www.youtube.com/user/VHFrance

.[​IMG]

Last edited: Jan 29, 2012
  2. tsar nicholas

tsar nicholas Member

I agree, the playing is very good on the new stuff. Despite being disappoint(ed) by "Tattoo" I still have high hopes for the LP as a whole

3. BryanMatthews

BryanMatthews Member

you say you like "most of them " ben, which ones dont you like and why so. from what i gather,there are a few stinkers on the album. and ill say outright that imo stay frosty is just awful. im too scared to listen to the 90 secs clips.

4. mtmartin71

mtmartin71 Silver Supporting Member

I've got to say that so far, I'd have to agree with you Ben. Especially as low as EVH sunk in recent years. To release a new one that combines the old flow of the band with some sense of today is tough to pull off. I'm not a huge, huge VH fan, but I do like them and the new stuff, particularly Ed's playing, is impressing me.

5. V-Type

V-Type Member

EVH is in his 50's and has had cancer and other afflictions he's fought the last 15 years as well so for him too come out Swinging like he is now is Nothing short of Fantastic imo.
    But too be honest my expectations for this 30 plus years removed release from them was avg at best. On that they have exceeded my requirement.
    Put MA back in that band and have Wolf play rhythm and keyboards and Bam Magic imo.
    However I find this vs of VH far more interesting musically than anything since the late 80's.
    No big commercial driven hits or Ultra Sappy Love songs just crazy ass 80's style rock and with guitar spots that most Nu players couldnt even fathom..

6. carbz

carbz Supporting Member

I have nothing against Ed's work on this record though I don't really hear anything innovative as he would always have on new VH records. The leads from what I have heard are more fire-y and tasty then anything he has done in a while but some of the compositions seem kind of thrown together. There are quite a few demo tunes on this record for those who are not aware. If you count Tattoo there are actually seven tunes that are nearly identical to the previous tunes. Overall its a decent record but they should have spent more time with the vocals, vocal arrangements and not used so many old tracks. Unfortunately for Van Halen their early records were so phenomenal it just gets to a point where its impossible to match.

7. Ocelot

Ocelot Member

This^

8. dewman

dewman Gold Supporting Member

sounds great- Love Roth too...nice to hear him howl.

9. BryanMatthews

BryanMatthews Member

ben

answer my question above, will ya please.

10. Kentano2000

Kentano2000 Member

Wow! After listening to all of these 90 sec previews straight through, my ears feel like they've been sonically assaulted. And they like it!! :dude:dude :beer

11. Ben R

Ben R Member

I'll comment on what I don't like in a bit (there's not much that I don't like, by the way).

BryanMatthews, do yourself a favor and listen to the 90 second clips. they're better than the shorter ones. Don't be afraid.

12. V-Type

V-Type Member

Listening too Outta Space and As Is.
    Wow just wow.
    These longer clips reveal Dave is pretty on as well as the whole of VH on this one.
    Yummy cant wait too eat this up when it drops.

13. BryanMatthews

BryanMatthews Member

please do, im interested

14. Ben R

Ben R Member

[​IMG]

Settle down, Beavis. I was off-line for awhile.

I don't like the punched in forced vocal lines in the stay frosty verses during the early acoustic part.

In a couple of the songs, I feel as though they could have been even better if more time were put into a better vocal hook for the choruses. Only in a couple of spots. That's not to say that I don't like them. But, if I'm forced to find criticisms, those would be it. And, in many of the other songs, they got this right.

This thread was not intended to pick apart what's wrong with the new album (there are plenty of other threads for people to tee off). It was meant to pay respect to Eddie for pulling his **** together. You complain about "Stay Frosty". but, go listen to the very end of the 90-second sample of that song as it's fading out. Eddie's solo is RIPPIN'. Anyway, back on topic. If I were a close friend or relative of Ed, I'd be really proud of him.

15. Hand of Doom

Hand of Doom Member

Well I have been holding out on listening to any of this until the official release. So far so good. Listening to Outta Space at the moment, sounds great! I am not a big fan of the vocal production or the guitar tone but I'll take what I can get. Not taken aback like I had hoped, but it is what it is, the rhythm section is slammin'!

16. guitarcrazy2004

guitarcrazy2004 Member

Me 2...happy he is still alive......okay back to listen to more ,so my walls can shake :)

Last edited: Jan 29, 2012
  17. BigDar

BigDar Member

exactly my thoughts-how many years did one expect to see terrible news about Ed due to his condition in the news....but that's just not enough for some people...

18. Bankston

Bankston Member

After listening to these longer clips I'm much more excited about the new music.

One thing I didn't hear in the preview clips: keyboards.
    Sounds like this will be the first fully guitar-driven VH record since Diver Down and I dig that.

One thing I did hear in the preview clips: Ed playing with more fire than I've heard in 25 years.

Like a lot of people I was lukewarm about Tattoo (although it has grown on me), but the rest of this stuff sounds like vintage VH.

19. voodoochile

voodoochile Supporting Member

Well, I like what I am hearing, as I am listening to those 90 sec clips now. I had avoided listening to them purposefully, as I was afriad that they might been a has been attempt. I do like what I am hearing- lot's of energy, pretty explosive solo's and DLR sounds very good...

I am sure I need to do some easy digging to find this out, but not sure if Michael Anthony is on that CD... I hope so, as he is an indispensible member, IMO. I am not hearing his background vocals like I had hoped... hmmm.

20. SteveO

SteveO Member

No Michael Anthony on the new album.