I'm giving a standing ovation to Eddie Van Halen

Discussion in 'The Sound Hound Lounge' started by Ben R, Jan 29, 2012.

1. gkinsingapore

gkinsingapore Member

May be no MA but I certainly hear someone singing those high harmonies.....I dont think the sound suffers a whole lot.

With the iTunes previews cranked through my Mackie 824's I definitely hear a different mix than the youtube previews that seemed to have Roths voice overpowering the mix. The louder it goes the better they seem to sit.

These tunes are really rocking and it sounds to me like a great VH record that really does have a huge nod to classic VH.

The track 'As Is' is my favourite so far...just killer classic VH. I don't get all the hate!?

One thing that sticks out to me is the lyrics which seem to be humorous tongue in cheek kind of lyrics over the standard VH fare from days gone by. I guess 60 year olds cant write about birds n booze with any credibility but its going to take me a bit of getting used to......

Stay Frosty!

2. Rogue

Rogue Member

All I can say is wow. I never expected to hear stuff like this from Van Halen. Some of it is pretty dang heavy.

Honeybabysweetiedoll is messing with me.

3. Rogue

Rogue Member

Haters gonna hate. It's just what they do. :)

4. michael.e

michael.e Supporting Member

90 seconds was good for me. Sounds good, i'm good.

5. Eskimo_Joe

Eskimo_Joe Rocker, roller, way out of controller

me too, making a comeback is no easy task, much less doing it within the context of the VH story

6. fenderlead

fenderlead Member

From what I've heard so far I think his playing and tone are more modern.

He seems to have picked up a few Zakk Wylde harmonic things.

He also likes "The Horse" a fair bit http://www.ibreathemusic.com/articles/files/37/whammy7.mp3

http://www.ibreathemusic.com/print/37

His playing doesn't seem to be swinging as much and it seems to lean a bit more towards conventional straighter playing and also the licks do as well.

His tone is more heavy and has more gain and sounds processed by some digital effects.

All in all, I think his playing just sounds more modern but it's still Ed.

7. Jazzydave

Jazzydave Seeker Silver Supporting Member

From what I've gathered over the years listening and reading his interviews, he's always in his studio writing and tinkering with songs. It's pretty amazing that with most of the VH material (from my understanding), he wrote it, presented it to the guys nearly complete, they added their little signature twists, and that was the process. One of his obvious influences is Wolfgang...doesn't seem to be too far fetched to think that he hears the music pretty complete in his head.

I've always loved EVH...you might not hear it directly in my own playing style, but he's been a huge influence on me since the beginning.

8. shg

shg Senior Member

I'm glad Ed's still alive. I didn't think he was going to pull out of the booze-and-meth binge 07-08. There's a part of me that considers Ed releasing material that's in time and in tune while possessing a heartbeat to be a major victory.

9. fenderlead

fenderlead Member

EVH: I went to Elton John's party, I went to another party to help a friend push her flower shop.
    Hey, because of cancer, my teeth are all ****ed up 'cause I got six of 'em yanked, you know, and they gotta focus on that and say I'm doing crystal meth, give me a ****ing break.
    Hey, my teeth are ****ed up.

10. shg

shg Senior Member

Sure Ed, we believe you. No, really, we do. Honestly.

11. Jazzydave

Jazzydave Seeker Silver Supporting Member

Do dudes with loads of cash do meth? I thought that was more of a poor man's drug?

12. jcs

jcs Member

Really digging Wolfgang on this record so far as well as the rest of the band!!!

13. Hacksaw

Hacksaw Time Warped

I like it. Stay Frosty!

14. Madguitrst

Madguitrst Member

third stone from the sun, one step from the edge
    That's EVH on the bass.

Sounds really good.

Get Frosty and some other passages are either too fast or too wordy, but hey.....I'm not complaining. They all sound good: EVH is on his game, Alex is playing hard, heavy and no more Simmons crap, Dave sounds good, the songs are good - what more could you ask for?

15. shg

shg Senior Member

Really?

16. dhdfoster

dhdfoster Silver Supporting Member

Why would you say this? Do you know this for a fact?

17. BigDar

BigDar Member

He doesn't but it's really cool for the trolls to bring up. Did you see the Cafe Wha? video? Amazing how Ed can play bass and guitar at the same time...Jeebuz Friggin' Christopher I can't believe the way some people think...with his gene pool, don't ya think the kid might be just a little talented?

18. V-Type

V-Type Member

Folks are funny.
    So many ideas and flat out assumptions.

Lolz.

19. semi-hollowbody

semi-hollowbody Member

I would hope so...there has been 15 years of woodshedding since the last album...;)

20. Ben R

Ben R Member

It must be fun to just throw stuff against the wall to see what sticks.

Check THIS out (below)... It's the entire "She's the Woman" song shot from right in front of his bass rig at the "Cafe Wha?" live performance a couple of weeks ago. He's SMOKIN' on the bass on that song. If he can perform one of the songs from the new album that well live, why the hell wouldn't he have played it on the album...?