i'm giving in..

Discussion in 'Effects, Pedals, Strings & Things' started by TwinkleDaddy, Feb 29, 2012.

1. TwinkleDaddy

TwinkleDaddy Member

I am a guitar play who is ALL about clean tone, especially in my post-rock/math band... but, i am in a surf hardcore punk band too , similar to man or astro-man, and i want a dirt pedal to thicken up that tone for the "hardcore punk" parts. I am all about the boutique pedals, unique tones. I play through a stereo rig comprised of a american G&L ASAT Classic to a 68' blackface super reverb and a 70' twin reverb. I don't know anything about dirt pedals but I want something that will give me some NATURAL tube overdrive goodness. I've heard much buzz about the Tim/timmy pedals but who can point me in the right direction for what I am looking for ??!?!?!

2. tnt365

tnt365 Supporting Member

For OD:

Hotcake

VL Sparkle Drive

Way Huge Pork Loin

Fuzzier options:

Fuzz Factory

Astro-Tone

Lunar Module

ScrewDriver

Scarab Deluxe

3. yellowecho

yellowecho Member

Freakshow Rabbit.

Man or Astroman used to play Proco Rats.. and that Rat sound would be perfect for hardcore punk. It's more of a distortion than a natural overdrive but it'd get that thick rock sound.

4. Footbutt

Footbutt Supporting Member

^i second this^

5. TwinkleDaddy

TwinkleDaddy Member

awesome, has anyone ever played with the Man or Astro-Man pedals they used to sell on tour?? I would love to buy some of those to mess around with.

I am going to try out the Rat or the freakshow rabbit, I am looking for a more "transparent" overdrive because I want to preserve my tone, I'm not exactly look to SOUND like MOA, just along those lines. I am glad there are some fans of this style of music around here... i feel like it is all praise and worship players and classic rock sometimes.

6. yellowecho

yellowecho Member

How much gain do you need?
    When I think of hardcore, I think medium gain.

Anywhoo, if it's transparency and beefy-ness you're after then I suggest checking out something like a Barber LTD SR, RC Booster, or Timmy.

Here is what Trace was using in Man or Astro-Man in 1999.
    What he says about the Rat:

7. TwinkleDaddy

TwinkleDaddy Member

YES! So I am on the right track. I think a little distortion in my life wouldn't hurt project.. That rabbit is sounding pretty nice right now.

8. TwinkleDaddy

TwinkleDaddy Member

any other recomendations before i settle?? I found a really sweet "magic rabbit" that has their boost built in with the Rabbit. I'm pretts toked on that. Any others I should check out before dropping cash on that one?

9. Bman20

Bman20 Supporting Member

crowther hotcake and a good ole TS808 dimed always rocks

10. Zero G

Zero G Member

Before you part with a wad of cash, try a bone stock Boss SD-1. Crank the volume and keep the gain very low or off. Should work fine for what you want.

11. TwinkleDaddy

TwinkleDaddy Member

I would but I would rather spend the extra moeny to support and independant pedal maker..

12. Zero G

Zero G Member

Just like the computer you used to post this message was made by an independent computer maker? ;)

Last edited: Mar 1, 2012
  13. TwinkleDaddy

TwinkleDaddy Member

point taken, but you would totally feel like a butt if i had built this computer myself =P. all kidding aside, most of the thigns i buy or own are built by small companies or independant people.

14. Zero G

Zero G Member

Er, OK....In your OP, you said you have two Fender amps and a G & L guitar, and you also have 5 Boss pedals and a Line 6 pedal in the emporium, so you'll have to forgive me if I don't buy your claim.

15. Lolasaurus

Lolasaurus Member

I know this is a little off topic because it's referring to the OP, but I use a TRRI, and recently found that I like using the volume and gain sliders on my EQ pedal to push a thick sound out of my amp more than any of my overdrive pedals . . . for like garage, surf, punk stuff.

But I also play a dano baritone which has a great natural grit to its sound.

16. Ben C.

Ben C. Member

I love my VFE Old School, and the builder is tops for communication. Love the soft-touch switches as well :) . So... check it:

[​IMG]

http://www.vfepedals.com/VFE_Pedals/Alpha_Dog.html