Im giving up on tubes , whata a good ss amp

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs' started by rouss, Jan 22, 2012.

1. rouss

rouss Member

I want a medium powererd ss amp between 30 50 watts that has good cleanns and a tight bass. Taking pedals well is inmportant. My main peda is the catalinbread sft for stones tones ,. Any idea ??

2. mhuxtable

mhuxtable Member

3. Noise Under The Floor

Noise Under The Floor Supporting Member

"In the drag of this atmosphere" (Maryland)
    +1, most of the Trademark line from Tech21 is nice and take pedals very well.

If you don't mind "vintage" and can find one the old Lab Series L5 amps that were a Gibson/Moog venture are very renown as solid state amps. BB King and Ty Tabor (KingsX) both used them extensively.

I know you said medium powered, but here's a few others.

I had a Fender Cyber Twin SE for a while that was good. It does have a pair of 12AX7's in the preamp section just to warm things up a bit, but the rest is all solid state. Dial up a nice Fender clean or semi driven tone, put a pedal in front and its great. I used to use mine like that....dialed in on the Vibrolux model and put my fave dirt pedal in front.

The ultimate solid state amp though is probably the Roland JC-120. It has gorgeous cleans, but I didn't like it so much with pedals. Some guys get good tones that way though.For what its worth...supposedly Satriani used one with a Boss DS-1 for his first album.

4. Bob Pollock

Bob Pollock Supporting Member

5. bettset

bettset Member

www.pritchardamps.com yeah, price is high, but the technology in the amp will revolutionize amps once his patents expire :munch

6. guitarjazz

guitarjazz Member

The JC-120 is cool for what it does. I've had one for 25 years. If that's the ultimate SS then they still have a long way to go!

7. harpinon

harpinon Silver Supporting Member

Can we ask why you dislike tube amps?

8. LJOHNS

LJOHNS Member

I second Tech 21. The TM 60 is great!

9. AaeCee

AaeCee Member

Retro Channel Amps, tube-like SS amps co-designed by TGP member and player extraordinaire Lance Keltner get great reviews. Hope to try one myself some day.

10. Gearopenia

Gearopenia Member

yeah? what gives?

11. Birddog

Birddog Member

I had great luck with my Fender Frontman head and a 4x12 cabinet years ago, before I went all-tube. Some great gigs and very good tones of which I still enjoy listening to the recordings today were performed on that amp. It was a very good clean pedal platform.

12. weshunter

weshunter Supporting Member

+1 -- pretty much all solid state amps are just trying to imitate tube amps, so we need to know what amps you've tried and what you didn't like about them.

Sent from my iPhone using Forum Runner

13. rouss

rouss Member

I have a f51 clone and I love it. By the time I got a tweed cab and the scumback speaker etc. It cost over a grand. It sound great but WTF. 1,200 for a 1 great clean tone and 1 great dirty tone. It gets dirty to early to take my catalinbread or tech 21 pedals well. So Im looking bigger at the deluxe reverb reissue.. Here we go again 600 buck to a grand . If Im going to use an amp as a bass for 160 dolar pedals I want the amp to just be reasonable (**** the perfect vintage tube break up) Ps- I like a really tight bass on an amp. Sometimes you have to go I hi end for that with tubes (mesa , hiwatt boutique)

14. desceneisvals

desceneisvals Supporting Member

Another vote for the JC-120.

15. DaveG

DaveG Gold Supporting Member

Roland Blues Cube 60... Discontinued, but still easy to find.

16. doc

doc Member

Given that cost is one of the drivers of your decision and it sounds like you want to get your dirt from pedals, I'd look for an older USA made Peavey. Built like tanks, and any pawn shop should have one at very low cost. If you want to, you can replace the op amps in them with slightly higher end ones and replace the speaker to optimize them a little.

17. Stratofuzz

Stratofuzz Supporting Member

http://www.quilterlabs.com/
    Saw this last night at NAMM (actually Guitar Geek show) but didn't get to play through one.
    It's designed by the guy behind QSC-Patrick Quilter.

Some cool innovations-really like how the master volume work; sounds the same no matter what volumes. Reverb can be assigned pre and post tremolo.

A guy playing lap steel used one on stage; For clean to dirty tones it sounds really good.

18. weshunter

weshunter Supporting Member

So this is a cost vs versatility thing, right? That's certainly a good reason to bail on tube amps IMO.

Maybe try an 11 rack with a tech 21 power engine. Less than $1000 used and it'll fo everything - no need for pedals or anything.

Fwiw, I can get every tone I need out of a 5e3 and a m13 and I both gig an record pretty frequently. I wouldn't give up on tube amps, but if you're dead set in it, go with a modeling rig over regular solid state.

Sent from my iPhone using Forum Runner

19. guitarjazz

guitarjazz Member

You don't want to know what a decent violin bow costs. Gear is an investment. The Boogie I bought new in 1983 still sounds great and works fine. Never had a problem other than replacing a few tubes.
    You'll end up with a nice collection of solid state amps before it's all over and you'll probably wish you'd stuck with tubes....for two reasons:
    1. They sound better.
    2. They'll hold their value much better than a solid-state

20. Rockyrollercat

Rockyrollercat Member

+1 on old Peavey with speaker upgrade. I have a Studio Pro 40 that has a good clean tone and takes pedals really well. I bought it new in the 70's and it's still going strong.

I always wanted to get two Frontman 100's and stack them for a cheap 200w 4x12.

RRC