• The Gear Page Apparel & Merch Shop is Open!

Based on member demand, The Gear Page is pleased to announce that our Apparel Merch Shop is now open. The shop’s link is in the blue Navigation bar (on the right side), “Shop,” with t-shirts, hats, neck buffs, and stickers to start. Here’s the direct link: www.thegearpageshop.com

You’ll find exclusive high-quality apparel and merchandise; all items are ethical, sustainably produced, and we will be continuously sourcing and adding new choices. 

We can ship internationally. All shipping is at cost.

I'm Going Old-School

JCW308

Silver Supporting Member
As funny as it sounds, my favorite gigging setup EVER was the Roland Cube 80X set to the Fender Blackface clean setting and a TC Nova System. After screwing around for a long time with modelers, FRFRs, software, etc...I decided to track down this same setup again and ditch all the fancy stuff in order to just get back to the fun. The old/new setup just worked, sounded great and gave me all the control right at my feet. Has anyone else ever gone back to their roots after getting fed up with the new stuff?

Coldacre

there's no way I'm going back to my BC Rich Ironbird, Yamaha Distortion & Polytone solid state setup of 1988. that rig stunk! lol

your name here

Silver Supporting Member
there's no way I'm going back to my BC Rich Ironbird, Yamaha Distortion & Polytone solid state setup of 1988. that rig stunk! lol
:rotflmao

My first rig was a Yamaha Pacifica and a Peavey Musician head that had built-in fuzz. I used a 2x12 cabinet made from an old Silvertone stereo console. I ran two TS5's and a Crybaby into it. Sounded pretty awesome. Lol. I still have the Pacifica. It's a good cheap guitar.

Joe Silence

in 1984 i rocked a Telecaster Custom into a Muff Fuzz into a Small Stone into a Ross Chorus. my amp was a 100 watt Ross Loudmouth 1x12" combo. at least it was loud.

kinda wish i still had that chorus pedal. mercifully, i kept the guitar all these years.

Jack Gilvey

in 1984 i rocked a Telecaster Custom into a Muff Fuzz into a Small Stone into a Ross Chorus. my amp was a 100 watt Ross Loudmouth 1x12" combo. at least it was loud.

kinda wish i still had that chorus pedal. mercifully, i kept the guitar all these years.
Wow, never heard of anyone here owning a Ross Loudmouth. :) My buddy had the 12" combo and I had the Loudmouth head/cab - the head had the little speakers built in. Right around the same timeframe as you.

the_Chris

It's All Been Done Before
Silver Supporting Member
When I first started on guitar, I had a silverface Vibrolux Reverb handed down to me. I rarely played the thing because I was into rock and wanted distortion, so I bought myself a Crate solid state amp...hehe (hey, how else was I supposed to play Nirvana covers? : D). Needless to say, years later I fixed up the VR and while I've gone through easily a half a dozen amps since then, nothing has or will ever replace it. I play it all the time and the cleans are, ironically, what I'm more into these days.

12guitdown

Gold Supporting Member
My first rig? I was 13 in 1983: Hondo LP copy w/bolt on neck, rat, SF vibrochamp and I remember getting what I wanted for Christmas, a Duncan SH-5. I installed it myself by twisting the wires and electrical tape. I'd love to be able to go back for a few minutes and play it again.

Well, that's my old school.

gigs

Univox Hi Flyer my Mom bought for me when I was 13 in '72. Played it through the stereo amplifier.

Still have it.

She was a great lady for indulging me with that. At the time, I had no idea how much I would love playing guitar, I just knew I wanted to play it.

cbpickin

Tweed Supporting Member
Gold Supporting Member
Old school for me is a '73 3tone sunburst Strat with a gold Floyd Rose plugged in a red Marshall Mosfet 100 head connected to a 4x10, red Marshall cab. Circa junior year of high school; 1986-87.

Standard 64

As funny as it sounds, my favorite gigging setup EVER was the Roland Cube 80X set to the Fender Blackface clean setting and a TC Nova System. After screwing around for a long time with modelers, FRFRs, software, etc...I decided to track down this same setup again and ditch all the fancy stuff in order to just get back to the fun. The old/new setup just worked, sounded great and gave me all the control right at my feet. Has anyone else ever gone back to their roots after getting fed up with the new stuff?
thats old school?sounds very modern to me

Crash-VR

Silver Supporting Member
Three years is a lifetime in the music gear world!
That's why most of us play guitars built almost the same as from the 50's/60's through Handwired amps modeled after amps form the 50's/60's with TS clone overdrives?

Yeah... It's almost like trying to keep up with cell phone technology!!!!

Bar-B-Kill

Old school for we would have been a Harmony Strat and amp combo from JC Penny. The guitar had a trem bar and the amp had a built in vibrato, I was set! But it all changed when I bought my first pedal... DS-1 :dude

JCW308

Silver Supporting Member
Four years later and I'm still with the TC Nova System and a tube amp (moved on from the Cube). Still loving it more than all my other combinations of stuff! Just pristine tone with no fiddling around.

Last edited:

Steve Hotra

Gold Supporting Member
Old school for me was a 1975 Telecaster Custom Deluxe, into a Ampeg tube amp.
This was in the mid 1970's.
Both are long gone.
And I regret selling both the guitar and amp.. What was I thinking ?

Trending Topics