I'm going out of tune! I'm going out of tune!

Discussion in 'Luthier's Guitar & Bass Technical Discussion' started by rollyfoster, Oct 2, 2006.

1. rollyfoster

rollyfoster Supporting Member

Wellpers, my new Jeff Beck strat got here on Saturday. It sounds amazing, but I'm having trouble keeping it in tune, which seems odd considering it's got the locking tuners, LSR nut, etc. Anyways, it got set up in Vegas and arrived in Austin 2 days ago. I played it all day Sat and Sun and have stretched, pulled, and whammied the strings numerous times. It's set to float w/ 3 springs and the bridge is 1/8th off body. The action was pretty high, and I lowered it and that helped a bit, but it's still going out of tune pretty frequently. Maybe it just needs to settle in to the climate here? Should I put on some fresh strings?

Any suggestions?

Thanks

2. Plan9FOS

Plan9FOS Member

Do you really need to pull up on the whammy?

I have my trem bridges blocked so they only go forward ... keeps them in great tune, but you can't pull up and raise the string pitch.

Cranking the bridge down to the top was never a good solution to me ... I like the angle of the bridge and strings when in the floating position ... so blocking it leaves it in that spot.

The Eric Johnson Strats are unbelievable great axes too ... they have a bone nut (at least the one I looked at) and are so carefully setup they can be whammied pretty hard and not go out of tune.

Good luck man!

3. rollyfoster

i like 2 way whammy action. i am hoping that it just needs to settle from being setup in vegas and travelling on the back of fedex trucks in the heat. it seems like the locking tuners and roller nut should keep it in tune. i plan on switching strings tonight and if that does not work, i suppose i will spring for a pro setup in town.

4. Giraffecaster

Giraffecaster Member

5. meangene

meangene Member

When I worked for the Fender C/S now and then we had a problem with Schaller locking tuners. Often you could pull the string right through the tuner when locked, try that on a couple strings and see if you can isolate it, usually they were always high E or B. It may not pull completly through but you may find one slipping badly. They had a circular brass shim stock that would insert into the thumb wheel to cure the problem.

Hope you find the source and fix it once and for all.

6. dmagalhaes

dmagalhaes Supporting Member

I used to wind the E & B strings normally with my old Sperzels and then lock them. No slippage if your' winding them correctly. In the hole, one turn on top of the string and two below, Locks it right up..

7. rollyfoster

i got some nut lube today and fender has recommended positions regarding where the locking tuners should be oriented before stringing. i'm going to restring, lube the nut, and try it out again tonight. also, it seems as though the case pushes down on the bridge when it's shut, so maybe that in conjunction with the shipping heat did something to these strings...

i'll report back once i've tried this out. fingers crossed....

8. rollyfoster

FYI from fender:

"Locking tuning keys - Imagine the headcap of the neck is the face of a clock, with the top being at 12 o'clock and the nut at 6 o'clock. Line the six tuning machines so that the 1st string keyhole is set at 1 o'clock, the 2nd at 2 o'clock, the 3rd and 4th at 3 o'clock, the 5th at 4 o'clock, and the 6th at 5 o'clock. Pull the strings through taut, and tighten the thumb wheel locking the string in. Now tune to pitch."

9. pickaguitar

pickaguitar 2011 TGP Silver Medalist Silver Supporting Member

I've got a new EJ.
    I love it.
    When it's in tune.

Needless to say...I am taking it for another setup asap! I can't keep it in tune right now I think because of a floating bridge.

10. rollyfoster

well, it seems to be working. changed strings, used the "locking tuner" method, and lubed my nut.