I'm Going To Buy a Rat Type Pedal - Suggestions?

Discussion in 'Effects, Pedals, Strings & Things' started by Ken, Apr 21, 2008.

1. Ken

Ken Member

I hear so much about these creatures lately, so I'm going to try one and give it a go and see for myself if the Rat is really for me.

I need a Rat that gets me Big full thick tones with Harmonics...Mmmm, that gets me excited just thinking about it :crazyguy

Which Breed of Rat should I get?

2. guitarpkr67

guitarpkr67 Supporting Member

I've only had the Landgraff Mod, but had to sell it recently. I loved it. I just got the Freakshow Brown Rabbit today, so I'll let you know how I like it once I get a chance to play it.

3. SonicVI

SonicVI Member

4. fr8_trane

fr8_trane Member

The BYOC mighty mouse is the best and most versatile Rat based pedal available.

Here's a link to a pre-built pedal. Scroll down to the mighty mouse.

http://axeandyoushallreceive.com/store/page1.html

Amazing 6-way modded Pro-Co Rat clone with numerous useful modes. Everything from lighter OD to Massive Grind!

5. CWFurst

CWFurst Member

+1 Go for the original. I got an 80's one for under $100. Great sound and build quality too.

6. gearboy

gearboy Member

Lovekraft Chupacabra

7. grado

grado Member

I really like my Keeley Rat but I have to admit I've never tried any others.

8. meterman

meterman Member

Proco Vintage RI RAT is pretty good, not as good as the original small box 80s pedals but built solid in the USA, true bypass etc. Apparently there are some mods you can do to make it more like the 80s versions.

I used one for a while but found I got easily lost in the mix. I think the trick with these pedals is to run the gain no higher than noon and the volume up around 2-3 oclock, with filter to taste to kill the fizz...

9. Aslan

Aslan Supporting Member

Another vote for the Keeley modded Rat.

10. Ken

Ken Member

11. CC GunZ

CC GunZ Member

If you are interested in Keeley's mod, just buy a 90's Rat2 for around $75, and then send it to him. If you find a Rat2 with the LM308, you should be set (they sound great stock) unless you want the versatility that the Keeley mod gives you.

12. Mr. Kite

Mr. Kite Member

13. thewex

thewex Member

True!

14. ford

ford Supporting Member

Lovekraft Chupacabra works very well.

bford

15. kludge

kludge The droid you're looking for

Vintage ProCo Rat 2 pedals are a bargain. No reason to pay more than $100 for one... they're common, consistent, and darn near indestructable. The newer, post-LM308 ones aren't nearly as good - and apparently, the newest ones from China are just plain crap (so sayeth Robert Keeley, anyway). But the old ones are cheap and easy to find. I don't see what a boutique version has to offer... heck, even the CASE is cooler than any boutique! No fancy paint job is cooler than bent heavy-duty sheet metal painted flat black.

16. tv eyes

tv eyes Member

Get the real deal.

17. capnrock

capnrock Member

+1 Brown Rabbit...the lead guitarist in my band introduced me to the RAT sound in the first place and he thought the Rabbit was the more quality of the two. I leave mine set to LED clipping and it's quite a raunchy (and authentic) OD at lower gain and ballsy distortion at mid to high settings. I A/B'd it with a Mad Professor LGW for a month and ended up selling the LGW. Apples and oranges, really, but I just felt like the rawness of the Brown Rabbit could hold its own for a broader range of applications. Plus, Freakshow's customer service is going to bury ProCo's if you ever need help or service, no?