I'm happy! Strobostomp makes life easier...

Discussion in 'Effects, Pedals, Strings & Things' started by teddy boy, Jul 12, 2006.

1. teddy boy

teddy boy Member

Gents,

Just took out a Strobostomp on loan and to my surprise none of the hype surrounding this tuner was BS. It really works! Using the "Sweetened"- mode makes tuning a guitar so much more pleasant. On my Gibson VOS R8 and Fender AV'62RI I don't have to fiddle around at all after tuning with the Peterson. Hallelujah!! I reckon this pedal ain't goin' back to the store no more!

On little nag though... those input/output jacks don't look too sturdy. Any body broken those?

2. Moe45673

Moe45673 Member

I've had my SS for a year and, bless the lord, have no worries. It's truly a great pedal, though I think most people are burnt out trying to convince the damned to see the light.

Enjoy yours!

For the record, mine is setup on my pedalboard so that both jacks have cables into them, so I don't have to worry about wearing them out.

3. j_hotch

j_hotch Member

Now cue the Boss and Korg tuner users to rush in here, loudly stating that it's overpriced, too flimsy, too hard to read, etc., etc. :)

As for the jacks, make sure the nuts which secure the jacks to the housing are tight (don't use a wrench, as you could torque them too hard) and use a bit of LocTite or similar stuff to keep them from backing off again. This should make the jacks much more secure.

4. TieDyedDevil

TieDyedDevil Member

Bingo! If more folks knew this, the bottom would drop out of the aftermarket "fixes" for tuning problems... :BEER

5. erksin

erksin Member

Indespensable, IMO...

6. GreenTea

GreenTea Member

I have one but don't know what the "sweetened" mode is. Can you share?

7. kiteflyer

kiteflyer Member

I must say that I was very apprehensive about buying a strobostomp (it seems flimsy and looks like an F'ing race car). But I did it anyway and I'm pretty stoked with it. It does tune better than my old tuner, and I like that I can intonate with it. It is absolutely indispensable for recording.

GreenTea: The sweetened tuning is a mode you can select for guitar or bass that has apparently been optimized for that instrument. Seems hokey, but whatever it's doing sounds good. Check out the manual to change modes.

8. gururyan

gururyan Member

Here I am! I love my Korg DT-10, it's very precise (against all but the Strobo of course), looks great and built like a friggin' tank. If one were to buy anything other than the Peterson, it should be the DT-10 without a doubt.

However, if you can afford the Strobo then I'd say get it. I would like to have one myself and will once my incoming is greater than my outgoing. I would be VERY tempted to have it rehoused though. I mean, why not? We rehouse pedals all the time, surely somebody could cut a spot for the Strobo window. They could upgrade the jacks while they were at it.

Actually, I am very surprised this hasn't been done by now with all the money floating around here. So, who's going to do it. Who's going to send their Strobo to DonneR or Swankbox with this request first.

...I want to see it.

9. GaryMcT

GaryMcT Gold Supporting Member

I use the sweetened "guitar' mode on my acoustic and it sounds great! They won't tell what the offsets are though. Would be easy to figure them out though.

10. gapple88

gapple88 Member

How do u activate the sweetened mode?

:confused:

11. Brown Rug

Brown Rug Member

there's a sweetened mode??

12. Moe45673

Moe45673 Member

If your window does not have anything but the scrolling bars, then you're in chromatic mode. If there's a small "Gtr" in the corner, you're in the sweetened mode :)

When you intonate, do it in chromatic mode. Then tune up with sweetened mode. I swear it will knock your socks off

13. GaryMcT

GaryMcT Gold Supporting Member

It's called "guitar" I think. "equ" is the normal mode. It's good enough to not want to get my acoustic guitar feitenized, although I do love the feiten system on my electrics.

14. teddy boy

teddy boy Member

I too would like to see a rehoused Peterson! Guys, do the input and outputs actually wobble just a bit if you apply pressure to them? They do on mine and it makes me feel just a bit uncomfortable.

Otherwise it's a dream come true. All 3 strings (D, G & B) are in tune when playing Keith Richards style licks up on the 7th or 9th fret and after that hit an open G and still in tune... it's, ummm... Sweet! Never had a tuner like this before. Of course one has to have the guitar intonated properly first... using a Peterson...

15. squeally dan

squeally dan Member

Is this tuner better than the BOss that most use. I have a Boss tuner and it seems to wrok fine. Is the Strobostomp more precise or what? What makes it better? Thanks.

16. muddy

muddy Member

it's a lifesaver for me because you can program a coupla tunings as well. i use monte allum's e-nut™ along with his sweetened tunings (1 for 25+" and 1 for 24+" necks), and my guitars never sounded so good! hell with the shape, at least it's small.

ml

17. mavrick10_2000

mavrick10_2000 Member

Agreed, I use the sweetened tunings on my guitars and they've never sounded better.

18. pickaguitar

pickaguitar 2011 TGP Silver Medalist Silver Supporting Member

"Sweetened" mode - I need to start reading manuals

19. Serious Poo

Serious Poo Armchair Rocket Scientist Graffiti Existentialist Gold Supporting Member

They say it better than I could:

"Accuracy to 1/10th of a Cent (30 times more accurate than LED / Needle Tuners)"

What it means in english is that I can intonate my guitars dead on now, unlike when I used my TU-12.

20. squeally dan

squeally dan Member

Who has the best price on one?