I'm having trouble hearing myself at times yet everyone wants me to turn down

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs' started by B_of_H, May 28, 2008.

1. B_of_H

B_of_H Member

should I:

a) turn the amp away from the stage and ask for more guitar in my monitor? (will it make it hard to control feedback as in coaxing it and controlling it if the speaker is not pointed at my guitar?)
    b) raise the amp up on a stand and turn it down slightly
    c) tell everyone to piss off and deal with my awesomeness?

2. Maruuk

Maruuk Member

Just turn up the amp in the monitor and turn down the amp. If that hurts feedback and sustain, use an amp stand that lifts and tilts the amp towards you.

If you have a head, get an Avatar vertical 2-12 cab with the upper speaker tilted upwards.

3. stratzrus

stratzrus Philadelphia Jazz, Funk, and R&B Supporting Member

+1

And if you can, angle it away from the audience.

4. B_of_H

B_of_H Member

thanks.

I have another gig tonight so i'll try raising the amp and pointing slight more away from the band but still at me.

5. Uncle Pat

Uncle Pat Member

It depends...who's doing the asking? Bandmates, or the audience and/or soundman?
    If it's the audience, a or b. I've had good luck aiming my amp across the stage too (and also away from the soundman)
    If it's bandmates, a, b, or c! Sometimes c is just necessary. :crazyguy

6. GEN DAWG

GEN DAWG Silver Supporting Member

Ah, the classic problem -- we get told to turn down but can't hear ourselves. My immediate response is always to pout, stomp around, gripe about the drums being loud . . . then realize I have to make peace with the sound guy.

Solution #1 is, if you can deal with it, do turn down and BEAT ON the sound man to crank you through the monitors. If you're playing thru a super-spiffy system that has separate monitor mixes, it works even better, because you can be LOUD loud through your mix, but not so loud in the other people's mix. I mean, if you have a good system and sound man, you ought to be able to get feedback off the MONITOR signal. That is my favorite setup on stage.

When I really want to crank up a loud, non-master amp, I have actually put the cabinet down off the back of the stage and pointed it backward, mic'ed it, and had the sound guy crank me thru the monitors. You can even set your amp in front of you, facing backward (if that works in your stage setup), then your amp becomes your own monitor mix. I read that Mike Campbell of Tom Petty's band does that.

7. knob

knob Member

i choose "B" and "C"...

8. slider313

slider313 Silver Supporting Member

I'll bet it's the fu.king drummer telling you your too loud. Or the bass player??? Tell them to live with it. Guitarist always get the rap about volume. If there's a live band at a block party near you,what do you hear in the distance..? Bass and drums !!!You almost never hear the guitar!!

9. B_of_H

B_of_H Member

It was the soundguy and then later in the night during a jam with random people including a few guys on acoustics who asked me to turn down.

Come to think of it I've gotten feedback off a monitor but I thought it was because I had a semi-hollow body and I was sitting a few feet away.

I'm not sure I trust the monitors at the places I usually play very much.

10. guitarplayaman

guitarplayaman Member

I never liked amp stands as you lose some low end ....but yeah a classic problem for guitarists

11. bynt

bynt Member

Plus one on the amp stand. I've actually gotten to where I'll put it up on a bar stool so it's almost level with my ears for smaller gigs. Problem solved. Good luck, that really sucks!!!!

12. guitarplayaman

guitarplayaman Member

as for the sound guy sometimes you gotta apease...as for the acoustic players give em a Belushi ala Animal House...that should remedy the problem.

13. B_of_H

B_of_H Member

:rotflmao

no our rhythm section is like me, wanting to rock at all times. It's our singer and venue's soundguys.

If it were up to the bass and drums guys we'd all play louder.

14. Uncle Pat

Uncle Pat Member

My singer's a headbangin' chick at heart, so I'm lucky in that regard.
    :RoCkIn

Screw the acoustic guys. Buncha' fingerstyle geeks...;)
    :mob

So, that leaves the soundman. Take care of him, so he keeps his finger off the suck button.
    :bow
    +2 amp stand, or tilt-back legs...and I quite often use a venue-supplied (and free!) chair, with blocks or something under the front edge of my amp for a little more tilt when necessary.

15. electronpirate

electronpirate Member

Point it at yourself. My guess is that your speakers are beamy, and it kills people 12 feet away and more, but nothing close.

Either lean it back towards you, or bring some duct tape and do a poormans beam blocker before you try anything.

EP

16. B_of_H

B_of_H Member

I asked them and they said 'it's just blowing away everything else on the stage.

I was on the far left of the stage and the amp might have been pointed a little towards the middle. It's a 40 watt 1x12 combo for crying out loud. How do people get away with 100 watt rigs in smallish clubs?

the bass player wants to get in-ear monitors now.

17. paraedolia

paraedolia Member

That has to do with frequencies and distance not volume.

18. Uncle Pat

Uncle Pat Member

40 watts cranked is going to be pretty loud.
    I use 18 and 22 watt amps for the most part, and I still have to be pretty judicious in their placement.
    But, I can crank them most of the time.

19. Jon

Jon Member

You could get one of these:

http://www.tc-helicon.com/Default.asp?Id=11687

You could take the signal from the mic on your guitar amp through it and create your own mix totally independently of the signal from the mic that is being sent to the soundman, who can also give you the main monitor mix through it as well, which you can also adjust the level of. I like control!

20. B_of_H

B_of_H Member

i've given up on using the amps overdrive unless it's an outdoor gig or something.

Oh, I forgot to mention that I was using a weber load dump on the ext speaker jack as well. So it wasn't even 40 watts.