I'm hearing things

Discussion in 'The Pub' started by hogy, Mar 13, 2016.

1. A-Bone

A-Bone Montonero, MOY, Multitudes Gold Supporting Member

That's how it always is in this kind of movie.

2. hellbender

hellbender Member

Occasionally, I get 1000 cycle tone in one ear that slowly fades over the course of a minute.

3. Dave Shoop

Dave Shoop Member

That's funny. Last summer I moved my Triumph around back and spent the days working on it while listing to CD's. I started hearing this weird random noise. I would turn off the CD to try to figure out what it was. I thought maybe someone was doing some kind of electrically driven machining or welding or something odd out of their garage. It continued for weeks. Had a weird vibration to it. I never did figure out what it was. Maybe Uncle Martin was working on the space ship to return home.

4. Campfired

Campfired Member

Another TGPer suggested your well-pump running then shutting off. Ours does the same thing, but makes less noise. Sometimes the submersible pump needs replacing because it's reaching its lifespan and makes more noise than usual. Try running your sink for a few minutes then listen in the basement for the pump.

5. hogy

hogy Member

That would make sense, I guess.

If I had a well pump. Or a basement.

Or didn't hear it (at the same volume) a mile from my house.

65DuoSonic and Peteyvee like this.
  6. AudioWonderland

AudioWonderland Member

Professional what? Audiooligist? UFOlogist? Psychic? Its a tough call...

7. Campfired

Campfired Member

Hmm. Locally, there is a train station several towns over that if atmospheric conditions are right, we hear the train horn. The train station is about 8 or 9 miles away.

Other possibility might be a telephone pole electrical transformer as you walk past. Other possibility might be the wind blowing through the power lines and generating a vibrational hum. I've personally heard this on numerous occasions. IIRC, Jimmy Webb wrote a tune to that effect in 'Wichita Lineman.'

8. hogy

hogy Member

Train tracks run 2 miles from my house, and that train horn is brutally loud. That's definitely not it. It's not wind either, it's always the same short pattern, same series of pitches.

9. THebert

THebert Member

I've got nothing on this but if you hear it at your house and then a mile away from your house, then do you think it is really loud at the source? If so, has anyone else said they are hearing this (other than Mrs. Hoggy)? Any news in the local paper or what have you? I remember in the 70s when I was a kid my little town tested some warning blasts from some huge speakers that they mounted to the telephone poles. Mostly what I remember is thinking if they would be good speakers for a PA or not, ha ha! But I doubt that would be the case today.

10. archey

archey Supporting Member

If I had a nickel for every time a llama was to blame for weird sounds at my house!

FenderTone and A-Bone like this.
  11. Judge Smails

Judge Smails Member

Go to youtube and you will find a bunch of these videos........Scary for sure.

12. pjs ire

pjs ire Member

In my career as a psychologist, I run into issues like this on an intermittent basis. Similarities include: usually heard primarily in the home or immediate vicinity. The sound has more of a bass reference to it. Often, other family members eventually report hearing the sound as well. Now- it may be a legit sound coming from an unknown source. In my biz, however, the sounds are most often what we call: auditory hallucinations of the persecutory type. I'm not being flippant here. When psychotropic medications are used, the noises resolve. If the noises are delusional, it's next to impossible to convince a person they are not real- so I don't try to convince them. I suggest they try meds to see if it helps. I have seen it split families apart. I'm not diagnosing you from afar. I am simply saying this is on my differential when a person comes to me with this problem. Maybe it's useful info for someone- maybe not. All to be taken with a grain of salt! Prr

A-Bone likes this.
  13. TNJ

TNJ Gold Supporting Member

Reminds me of War of the Worlds.

S.
    j

14. korby

korby Member

Over medication can cause this .

15. pjs ire

pjs ire Member

"When something strange is happening, powerful forces are at work". Prr

16. keepingitweird

keepingitweird Member

I was going to post something akin to this. I lived near a high school...

17. Structo

Structo Member

A year or so ago I would hear a low frequency hum, especially at night when trying to go to sleep.
    Like the hum a tube amp makes if it hums. (so somewhere around 60Hz)
    I have gotten up and gone outside to hear it and I couldn't.
    It lasted a couple weeks then stopped.

I do suffer from tinnitus, which is very high pitched which I can ignore most of the time.

Forest Grove, Oregon is experiencing similar sounds as well.
    As far as I have heard, it is still going on there.
    Nobody can figure out what it is and where it is coming from.

Aliens.

18. DetSlicker

DetSlicker Member

[​IMG]

keepingitweird and archey like this.
  19. ljholland

ljholland Silver Supporting Member

I haven't ever said it to anyone other than my wife but once a week or so I hear what sounds like a tone that you might hear at a audiology exam. Always the same frequency and the duration is about 10 seconds. It's happened my entire life. I do have hearing issues but I don't think it's related. It's "loud" enough that it can drown out other sounds wherever I am.

I've learned to ignore it as it doesn't seem to be a problem.