• New Sponsor: ShipNerd, Ship Your Gear with Us... for less! Click Here.

I'm in a wah rut, need some help out of it...

monkmiles

Jazz/Funk/Rawk/Groove
Silver Supporting Member
So, I'm in a rut with my wah tones and could use the thoughts and information of the wah experts on the board here...

I currently play a Wilson Signature wah (with the vintage specs/components). Previous to the Wilson I owned a Budda wah I bought new in like 2002 I'm guessing and used until about 1.5-2 years ago when I switched to the Wilson. Prior to that I had a standard Dunlop Crybaby. I also had a BBE wah for a short time as a backup.

For some reason, I'm not satisfied with my wah tones right now. But I'm not really sure if it's the wah I have or whether I'm just in a rut and maybe gasing to try/compare others. I'm starting to wonder if the Clyde McCoy type (which the WIlson is a clone of) isn't the wah tone in my head afterall? Could that be?

As an example of wah tones that I love, check out Eddie Roberts with the New Mastersounds for cleanish type tones and for overdriven type tones I like Warren Haynes wah tones. I think Robert's just uses a Crybaby and not sure about Warren.

Where does that lead me? I've just started tinkering with the internal trimmers of the Wilson (sweep, growl, volume) and I might be coming on to something when I raise/widen the sweep trimmer. It's still very spongy which I times I like and at times maybe I don't?

I should also add that I don't really enjoy tweaking my wah tone, so I'm not looking for a pedal with much if any external control. I would be looking to ideally set and forget or perhaps possibly switch between two settings/styles.

**EDIT**
I got it figured out after tweaking the 'growl' internal trimmer! https://www.thegearpage.net/board/index.php?posts/17186320&postcount=9

Last edited:

Matt L

Maybe the Fulltone Clyde Deluxe? Has 3 switchable settings/sweeps, buffer level, LED. After trying a Crybaby that was too harsh and piercing, I'm looking in that direction.

Nevada240

I'm pretty sure Warren actually uses a standard Crybaby believe it or not, no mods or anything, there's several clips with him and his tech Brian going over all this info. However, I'm not as good as him and don't have his signature rig so I could never get that tone with just a standard crybaby, I went through all sorts until I got the RMC picture wah, best wah I've ever played or owned. It's not one of those "beefed up" wah pedals but just a simple, amazing sounding pedal. I can do anything from Hendrix to Funkadelic to Warren Haynes and this nails it!! Get an Emma DiscumBOBulator for his auto-wah tones, that nails it too!

FuzzFaceJ

try a Real McCoy RMC3, seriously, you can use it to dial in your own custom wah tone. it doesn't take very long to figure out the dip switches. 1 is higher frequency, 9 is the lowest frequency. It comes with a great settings sheet to get you started, with Thomas/USA, Picture Wah, Wizard wah, classic vox wah, etc. Plus it has the foxrox retrofit built right in, so it's amazing with fuzz. even works with a fuzz factory!!!!!!!

the wah is a major part of my sound, I have tried nearly all of the heavy hitters out there. RMC3 will get you there.

edit: forgot to mention the only internal trimmer you'd want to tweak is the wah retrofit, everything else is external. also comes in the best wah enclosure I've ever used, easier than any I've used to adjust the treadle tightness. all knobs are on the front, so no worries of kicking the pot on the side

Kurt L

Silver Supporting Member
If you really want something different, try a Vexter Wah Probe. I got one last summer... good sounds and really fun. I like having no physical mechanism to wear out or break down.

dingdongditch

I've owned a 535q multi wha for a long time.
It's a great pedal.
Solid build, can be ran at 9 or 18 volts.
It has a lot of options including a boost.
You'd be hard pressed to find a bad setting.

monkmiles

Jazz/Funk/Rawk/Groove
Silver Supporting Member
And I think I'm out of the rut!

I spent a good amount of time with the bottom of the pedal off and tweaking the internal trimmers. They key for me was increasing the 'growl' trimmer (which controls bass and input gain I believe). I was initially tinkering with mainly the 'sweep' trimmer but that wasn't the issue. With the 'growl' up, I can now get fat, nasally, bassy tone to the heel side...which is what I think I wanted. So I'm now totally digging the Wilson Signature wah again!

Trending Topics

Top Bottom