I'm in love with Badcat speakers.

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs' started by Kevin Shiflett, Feb 22, 2015.

1. Kevin Shiflett

Kevin Shiflett Member

For years I've been running Celestion gold with my Hayseed 30. The gold is a great speaker but always left me wanting a tighter snappy bottom end and a bit more string separation when I play dirty. I run the typical lightly overdriven amp with a telecaster that most chicken picker types prefer.

First experiment was putting the Badcat into my AC15 and taking it to a small gig. Sounded great and I got good feedback on my tone from the band.

So then I picked up another and popped it into my 1x12 D style Redplate cab and played a gig with the hayseed 30.

Yes! The country sound I've been after for years was there. My tone was so nice that by the second set I had turned off all my pedals and was running dry as a bone. Spanky and bouncy on my low strings and sweet on top.

I guess the moral of the story is this. Don't be afraid to try something new. I've always been told that a vox needs! a blue or gold. Naa, there is no magic formula I've found. What sounds amazing for one player might not be so nice in the hands of another. Its like how you can buy all the same gear as your hero but yet your tone sounds nothing like them.

Btw, I know the speakers say vintage 30 on them but the sound nothing like a V30. I hate V30s. These are 65w and have none of that nasty mid spike that gives me serious ear fatigue. Snappy bottom and a top end that still feels allot like my golds.

The speakers so impressed my that I'm now seriously wanting to plug into the amps the speakers were actually voiced for.

Next week I have two large room gigs when I will run two 2x12 cabs, one of each side of the stage. We don't mic amps unless there is house pa /grumble. Anyway The 2x12 cabs are loaded with golds. I may experiment mixing one gold and one badcat and see what happens. Could be an interesting mix.

2. ledzep618

ledzep618 Supporting Member

[​IMG]

Edit: Your original title said Batcat ;)

3. RussB

RussB low rent hobbyist Silver Supporting Member

But now the question is...just WHAT is that Bad Cat speaker?
    edit: I just looked it up at the Bad Cat website, and it's a Celestion made to Bad Cat's specs.

4. Kevin Shiflett

Kevin Shiflett Member

Lol batcat@ pic, I didn't have my spectacle's on!

5. ekkybedmond

ekkybedmond Member

And they are darn fine ones..... folk have high-praised it here before, and with good reason.

What the Celestion and/or BC people have done, is a secret, but this is the first speaker that does not start bothering me after a short or slightly longer time. Is it lack of REAL character ? perhaps. Perhaps someone finaly managed to mix the clarity from a Blue or Gold with the tight-ass-ness of a H-speaker, without ending up with a scooped speaker (like fi a Creamback-H)and thus maintaining some of the ability to cut the mix like a V30 (which it is NOT, only the frames.

6. SirGilmour

SirGilmour Supporting Member

I too am in love with those speakers!

7. candid_x

candid_x Supporting Member

BC V30:
    Resonant Freq: 75 hz
    Power Rating: 65 Watt
    Magnet Weight: 51 oz
    Weight: 10.5 lbs

Cel V30:
    Resonant Freq: 75 hz
    Power Rating: 60 Watt
    Magnet Weight: 50 oz
    Weight: 10.4 lbs

BC keeps their secret sauce a, well, secret, but I doubt the actually specs are all that different (see above comparison). BC offers no more specs than what's there, unfortunately. I kind of wonder if it's like the "V type" speakers that fender is putting in their '68 Custom DR.

There's a world of difference between a V30 out of the box and really well broken in V30. I had a few at one time, and the one I used the longest and most suffered a mounting screw puncture through the foam edge. Totally bummed, I offered to give it to a tech that was working on one of my amps. He asked, are you sure? You know you can close that hole with a few coats of liquid electrician tape. I told him, yes, I'm sure, you can have it. But out of curiosity I bought the liquid rubber tape and sealed the hole. Before dropping it off to him I gave it a run in an ext cab, really drove it hard. Man, was I ever sorry I had promised to give it away, but I lived up to my promise. I went back home and played the same exact thing, same cab, with a newer V30, with nowhere near the same warmth or overall great sound.

It's possible BC specs have a bit more doping, maybe a Hellatone type of break-in procedure. 1oz in 10lb magnet isn't enough to make a big difference; maybe a different coil, or something. I'm not doubting there's a difference of some kind, but I doubt it's anything significantly different in build and specs. A nice break-in warms the V-30 up a lot.

Here's a recording I did using a bright amp (Laney LC50) through a single but well broken-in V30, mic'd with SM57 straight into the center dome against the grill cloth. A Music Man Silhouette Special plugged straight into amp, stock pickups. All guitar parts over a Feed the Poor backing track. Amp treble, mid and bass all straight up, flat. It's ain't no Bad Cat, but neither does that V30 make ears bleed.

http://www.soundclick.com/player/single_player.cfm?songid=5633509&q=hi&newref=1

8. SirGilmour

SirGilmour Supporting Member

I don't know about specs but I can tell you I A/B'd the BC speaker and a V30 and they sounded very different. The V30 having much more treble(unpleasant to my ears). The BC was sweeter sounded with a slightly better bottom end.

The Bad Cat speaker is much closer to a Creamback H.

9. hacinador

hacinador Member

There is much less doping on the bad vat version, but it is still very similar to broken-in vintage 30. Now i use well broken in chinese vintage 30 in my bad cat cub ii r, it works much better for me than bad cat celestion. They are both great, but let your ears decide...

10. macmax77

macmax77 Supporting Member

But i see they only have 8 ohms speakers.
    What if i only play 2x12 cabs and want 8 ohms?

Do i have to wire the cabs to be 4 or 16 then?

11. ekkybedmond

ekkybedmond Member

I did, not looking for a new speaker, got the Vet is a ET65-Vet30 duo-deal.

The Vet30 had the ear fatiguing mids, after 1 rehearsal, it was out my amp (Spitfire clone with el34). The BD did NOT have this ,

12. Kevin Shiflett

Kevin Shiflett Member

I wish they did make a 16ohm. My amps don't go down to 4 ohms so running extension cabs it going to be harder.

13. macmax77

macmax77 Supporting Member

why don't they, i would buy a pair as soon as they had it.

14. ekkybedmond

ekkybedmond Member

Seem to remember reading that it has something to do with BD being a relatively small client of Celestion, and Celestion only taking orders of a minimum amount of speakers at the time (by the pallet, or so).

So to order both 8 and 16Ohm versions, they'd have to order at least 2 pallets (so to speak).

And: because of the BD combo's, 8' versions would sell the most probly and they opted for that one.

Someone correct me if I'm wrong here.

BTW aren't there any solutions for a 2 x 12 config ? Does your amp have 16 Ohm output, or fool the output with an additional resitor ?

15. Optimus Rhyme

Optimus Rhyme Member

I have compared both side by side and I found them to be very similar. The BC had a little more clarity in the very highest frequencies, where the Vet 30 is a little darker. The Vet 30 had a little more umph in the bottom end that the BC was missing. To be honest, they paired incredibly well together. The BC's 100db rating also helped get that high end chime up over the darker Vet 30 really nicely.

I tried them in separate 1x12 cabs sitting right next to one another with a BadCat Hot Cat 30 (2014). On their own, each sounded incredible, but the magic really came with the pair of them working together.

16. 6AM

6AM Supporting Member

I believe the only difference between a Bad Cat speaker and a stock V30 is the Bad Cat speakers have no doping and are made in England. It's basically the same thing that Matchless used to use, except they were removing the doping with acetone rather than have them custom made that way.

17. ekkybedmond

ekkybedmond Member

Have you tried both in same amp ?

18. voxylady

voxylady Member

That was the old Bad Cat Celestion. The new one is a complete rework and doesn't sound much like a V30 IMO at all. To me it sounds more of a mix between the top end chime of a Blue, and the low end of a G12-H30, but with some sweet mids that keep it from sounding scooped. It's my favorite all-around speaker. Some speakers might sound better for specific sounds or applications, but the BC speakers are fantastic and well rounded.

19. hardys

hardys Member

I have one and have compared it extensively with a number of speakers, including a G12H-30 Anniversary. It has less low end and highs that the G12H-30 and a little more mids. Even though Bad Cat markets it as a cross between a G12H-30 and a Blue, I don't hear any of the Blue's top end chime, or G12H-30's girth. To me, it sounds more like a V-30 without the midrange hump and glassy highs.

Funny thing is I'm not crazy about it in my Cub II, but love it in my 5E3 Tweed.

20. voxylady

voxylady Member

Well it is a ceramic speaker, and I think being an Alnico is what gives the Blue their signature "chime" but it definitely tighter in the bottom than a blue, with some sweet upper mids that never get fatiguing.