I'm in Love with my Fulltone OCD!

Discussion in 'Effects, Pedals, Strings & Things' started by nsriley, Mar 9, 2006.

1. nsriley

nsriley Member

I've got an Fulltone OCD (earlier serial 1700's), I finally got around to tinkering with. WOW! I've had a ton of different OD pedals, and currently own a ZenDrive, TB Hot British, MXR Wylde OD, Bad Monkey, and Analogman Beano Boost. But this OCD just sounds magical to me. I run it with a custom made 1x12 10 watt(EL34) combo amp with a blackface channel and a Plexi channel. It smokes with either channel! The clarity and articulate nature of it, floors me! As a kick in the butt to the plexi channel it roars, yet the notes are very defined and touch sensitive. And if I'm running the BF channel clean and kick it on it wails in a very tube amp like way. For what I play, classic rock, blues, and straight up R&R, it works like a charm! I had to share, even though this pedal is past it's prime(in opinions) with all these other boutique pedals coming out these days. :AOK

-Peace
    -Nate

2. Fifthstone

Fifthstone Member

Congrats. I agree that this is has to be one of the most versatile pedals out there. Covers a really wide range. To the point where I've pretty much stopped looking at overdrive / distortion boxes. Now to find that perfect fuzz...

3. mprvise

mprvise Member

Agreed, the OCD is a great pedal. I have an early one as well that has been in the closet for a while. Pulled it out two nights ago and plugged into the Club Royale - Whoa! So glad I kept this one! I definitely have my share of OD's/distortions, but the OCD ranks right up there for that raw, uncompressed, non-midrangy type of OD. Wonderful pedal.

4. jlagrassa

jlagrassa Supporting Member

Agree the OCD is a great pedal from Fulltone, I want to try one of the later models with the updated pot. That pedal also Interacts excellent with your guitars volume knob!

5. ButchR

ButchR Komet Player Gold Supporting Member

Me likey, too!

6. nsriley

nsriley Member

I forgot about that! Yup it cleans up very well with your guitar volume. :dude

-Peace
    -Nate

7. trinitysun

trinitysun Member

glad you're enjoying it as much as I did nate. Take care of my baby.

8. Baby Evil

Baby Evil Member

I love mine too. Most dynamic pedal I've ever played, it's very hard to turn off.

Jan

9. Shnook

Shnook Supporting Member

I got my OCD in the first batch that came out. Number 21 to be exact. It's been on my board and in use every time I've plugged in since the day I got it. I've gone thru a lot of pedals over the years, but the OCD is a mainstay. Down the road I do plan on getting one of the newer updated models, but for now I've very happy with what I've got.

10. burningwater

burningwater Member

Have you guys put it up to the MIaudio crunch box yet?

11. slowburn

slowburn Supporting Member

or the screwdriver?

12. Shakkal

Shakkal Member

As I mentioned elsewhere, I'm glad that you like yours!!

I have one of each version ... I like the newer version better all-around, but I think the older one can work better as a boost. Oddly, my earlier OCD has developed noise issues after several months of frequent use, it's the kind of noise that you get from an amp when you have either microphonic tubes or faulty resistors (that sound that is like the wind blowing). It happens at any volume, setting, and with any amp. I hope I can figure out the problem soon enough, could be something simple ... but my newer OCD works great will all my gear.

13. Shnook

Shnook Supporting Member

I got my Crunch Box earlier today, but only had a few moments to try it out. From my brief time with both pedals, the Crunch Box was a clearer and with more balls, but the OCD had a more organic amp-like feel to it.
    As I said, I didn't have that much time to A/B them. I will say that the Crunch Box won't be kicking the OCD off the board. I'm more into medium overdrives than full on distortion. More on this later.

14. Fuzzdawg

Fuzzdawg Member

i shipped mine off today to don butler to get the 500k volume pot installed. i have loved this pedal since i got it, but the other day i was tweaking the knobs and realized that the allegations of not-very-many-mids was quite accurate. i LOVE this pedal. can't wait to get it back!

15. Snowdog

Snowdog Member

Shnook - my feelings as well. The CB is a more narrow distortion, whereas the OCD has a much wider range. The CB will be great for doing 80's style rock (Def Leppard, VH, etc). It nails that tone pretty damn well. The OCD can cover a lot more ground. (although you should try an 18v for the CB - sounds way different.)

16. jlagrassa

jlagrassa Supporting Member

With out a doubt the OCD is much more versatile than the Crunch Box but for what the Crunch Box does its hard to beat.

17. Shnook

Shnook Supporting Member

I'll try that this weekend when I have more time. My first impression of the CB was that it's really good for specific things, like 80's stuff which my band does do a few songs of. Therefore, it's a keeper pedal for me for now, but the OCD will still see the most action. I did find that the CB makes for a nice fat lead sound and goes great with the Wah Wah. I still need more time with both pedals though. Life gets in the way sometimes...

18. teddy boy

teddy boy Member

I love mine so much I ordered a second one! My main OD/distortion pedal! I really dig it!!

19. JPenn

JPenn Member

I've thought about doing the same thing. I have the newer version OCD, I figure the older model will work better for boosting it since it has more lowend and not as much mids.

20. jero

jero Member

Although it may sound contradictorily, I think the strength of the OCD is its total lack of character, the same applies to the Tim. These pedals don't add an EQ-shift or a lot of compression, characteristics that may become annoying after a while.

BTW I have an earlier model OCD and in my experience it's totally eq-flat. Do I understand correctly that later models have a bit of a midboost?