I'm In Love With My JSX Mini Colossal!

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs' started by Kaji13, Dec 27, 2009.

1. Kaji13

Kaji13 Member

Gone one of these 5 watt bad boys for Christmas, and it is probably the perfect amp...well, maybe not perfect, but I really like it. You should all buy one (they're for sale at Musicians Friend). It's very nice and vintage voiced, like those old tube amps Jimmy Page used for the first Zep albums. It's not at all a metal machine like the rest of the JSX line ( which surprised me). The power soak/attenuator works great to get wonderful crunch at super low volume levels.

so, anyone else own one of these? Any tone tips? Tubes you like with it?

2. GeLoFi

GeLoFi Supporting Member

I just ordered one of these guys from MF for $299, seemed like a decent deal for a made in the USA tube amp. Kaji, how does it take pedals?

3. Maruuk

Maruuk Member

Looks like they're blowing them out on a closeout. Can't imagine many moved at $500! Good pickup, sounds like a deal--love the XLR-lo imp out.

4. Marshall Man

Marshall Man Member

I bought one a few weeks ago; I think it sounds fizzy...don't like it.

5. LPMojoGL

LPMojoGL Music Room Superstar Supporting Member

6. Marshall Man

Marshall Man Member

Satch can make anything sound great! Mine does not sound like that at all:(

7. GeLoFi

GeLoFi Supporting Member

Ill give you guys a tone report when I get this upcoming week. I tried it about a year ago in a shop and thought it held up quite nicely, just couldn't justify the $499 at the time, but at $299 why not.

8. Marshall Man

Marshall Man Member

That would be cool...thanks!

9. treedroppings

treedroppings Member

he can play, no doubt! Joe can prolly afford good tubes as well.

10. alex_f

alex_f Member

I owned one for a few months and sold it. To my ear the distortion was fizzy and I just couldn't get really good tone out of it. I really worked with it too. Swapped power and preamp tubes and tried a Jensen C8R. The Jensen sounded better but not better enough. :cool: It just never sounded right to me. It was just harsh.

Hopefully you Mini sounds better to you than mine did to me.

If these are going for $300 it says a lot. You couldn't find one for less than $500 less than a year ago.

Replaced it with a Fender Super Champ XD and was very happy with that. Huge bang for the buck there.

I just got a Laney L5T 112 and holy S%^&! I could go on and on about the Laney.

I still have the Jensen C8R- barely broken in and in the box. I'm also looking to sell my like-new SCXD with new JJ power tubes and foot pedal. If anyone is interested PM me.

11. GeLoFi

GeLoFi Supporting Member

Hey guys,

Well I got it tonight...really disappointed. The amp is terrible, I'll echo alex_f's comments that its "harsh," what an understatement.

Muddiest weirdest sounding amp I've heard really, my microcube crushes it. Tough luck on this one satch.

RA# time fellas...

12. Marshall Man

Marshall Man Member

I agree! There is a Japanese guy on youtube who does Satch to a tee and he makes the damn thing sing...sure wish I could:(

13. Marshall Man

Marshall Man Member

Did you send it back? I messed up and did not do it in time...anyone want to buy this boat anchor:)

14. GNRman72

GNRman72 Member

what an overpriced amp, you could have gotten an 100 want Marshall MG and been perfectly happy,

tube snobs lolololol