• TGP is giving away a Strat, Tele, and Jazzmaster. Click Here for full details.
    Click Here to upgrade your account and enter today!

I’m just going to say it. I thought the cure were supposed to be some sort of badass band...

fetchmybeer

Gold Supporting Member
No, they're still pretty badass. Not really a pop band either, much less a run-of-the-mill one. Some pop songs, for sure, but not a pop band.

I never quite wrapped my head around what all they are, but that's only a reflection of hearing them pretty randomly and infrequently. During the time they were popular I was rejecting all pop music. Phase I was in, lol.

MaxTwang

But anything I’ve ever heard, they’re just a run of the mill pop band.

I was disappoint.
They probably sound like "a run of the mill pop band" because you heard all the bands the Cure influenced before you gave the Cure a listen. The Cure were/are the innovators not the followers.

IMO the best place to start is the extended mix of hits collection 'Mixed Up'.

Check this

Or the even better extended mix

And another great extended mix 'A Forest' was originally recorded in 1979 while much of the world was still obsessed with disco! This remix is also from 1990's 'Mixed Up'.

Last edited:

GuitarGuy66

Silver Supporting Member
Maybe you meant The Cult? The cure is awesome, but their most “kick-ass” song is prolly Just like Heaven, and even that doesn’t kick very hard
Pray tell, which bands would you say are truly Among the Badassed(tm)?

We have to calibrate your badassery meter before we assess whether it is giving you a good reading.

It sounds like it may be a bit wonky and your disappoint is a result. Me sad for you.
I always thought they were more like Nine Inch Nails, more brooding and emo. I was really surprised to find out Friday was their song. The songs I’ve heard are good, but again just not what I expected. I’d say closer to Duran Duran.

again just much different than I had pictured all these years.

timmytVA

Gold Supporting Member
Were you expecting them to sound like AC/DC? I'm not really a fan, but have mad respect for the unique and creative path Robert Smith has carved throughout a long career.

Tim

A-Bone

Montonero, MOY, Multitudes
Platinum Supporting Member
I always thought they were more like Nine Inch Nails, more brooding and emo. I was really surprised to find out Friday was their song. The songs I’ve heard are good, but again just not what I expected. I’d say closer to Duran Duran.

I'm not at all fond of applying the word "emo" to much of anything, but particularly not to acts that predate the misguided genre version that emerged in the mid-90s or so. As far as comparison to Duran Duran is concerned, I'd have to give that some thought. My knee jerk response is that it seems an inapt comparison except maybe in the most facile sense (both incorporate synthesizers with guitar-based live instrumentation, both were British, both had members that were sometimes similar in age). I do think Duran Duran don't get the credit they deserve for some great songs -- particularly in the 80s. Tend to associate Duran Duran with the "New Romantic" movement. The Cure were not a part of that.

The Cure were a huge influence on Trent Reznor during his formative years, and it's a testament to both Reznor and Smith and co. that, that being the case, the resulting music doesn't sound all that much alike. But if you aren't finding brooding, emotionally intense songs in The Cure catalog, you aren't trying very hard or listening to much of their recorded output.

Silver

You're right in that they're pretty much a (post punk) pop/rock/indie band. Probably the post-punk pop rock band. If we're trying to categorize. You could be easily forgiven for expecting something harder and darker from their kind of aesthetic in this day and age.

The only real point of controversy or surprise is that you appear to have only just consciously heard them.

GuitarGuy66

Silver Supporting Member
You're right in that they're pretty much a (post punk) pop/rock/indie band. Probably the post-punk pop rock band. If we're trying to categorize. You could be easily forgiven for expecting something harder and darker from their kind of aesthetic in this day and age.

The only real point of controversy or surprise is that you appear to have only just consciously heard them.
I’ve always been aware of them over the years. I’m 50 and was always a metal guy. Maiden, priest, Cooper, WASP, with some Bowie, T-Rex, and The who were my tastes. Just always figured they were maybe more second wave punk or industrial. Was never a big muchMusic or MTav fan. I was more surprised than anything.

A-Bone

Montonero, MOY, Multitudes
Platinum Supporting Member
yeah I bought one of their albums based on It's Friday I'm In Love and couldn't figure out why the rest of the album was so depressing.
I always wondered if there weren't people who had that experience based on that song.

Trending Topics