I'm looking for a budget 2nd guitar to compliment a Strat

Discussion in 'Guitars in General' started by telefuzzfreak, Feb 23, 2009.

1. telefuzzfreak

telefuzzfreak Member

I'm leaning towards an Epiphne Dot or Epiphone LP. Not keen on Reverends or the PRS SE series. I'd be doing upgrades to the hardware as well as pickups. What are your guys' thoughts? I was thinking an old Ibanez lawsuit LP would be cool if I could score one cheap enough. My budget is in the $500 range. I could go more...it just really depends on the guitar/upgrades that are needed. That's $$$ for a used guitar and used pickups, hardware, etc. Obviously I'd have to spend a bit more if I went the lawsuit route.

:munch

2. 62Tele

62Tele Supporting Member

Can't beat the combo of a Fender and a Gibson (clones included). Try to find an Epi Elitist - they did a great job on the Les Pauls and 335s, and typically quite a step up from their Korean lines. For my money, they are the best bang for the buck I've had a chance to play.

3. telefuzzfreak

telefuzzfreak Member

4. Mudder

Mudder Member

In the $500 range, you should be able to find a Yamaha Studio Lord. Great LP style guitar.

5. DaBlizzardofOz

DaBlizzardofOz Member

I was in the same situation several months ago. I got a Czech Dean LP style for under $400 & it is awesome. It's actually become my main guitar these days and stacks up against any Gibson I've played. I'm surprised these arent more popular - Flame top, Duncan pickups, schaller hardware for under $400?
    If you can find one, grab it

6. dverna

dverna Member

More money (800) but can't beat a used Gibson SG Classic.

7. telefuzzfreak

telefuzzfreak Member

I hate SGs. Thanks for the other suggestions.