I'm looking for a good clean amp to use as a canvas for pedals..

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs' started by Senor Forum, Mar 9, 2008.

1. Senor Forum

Senor Forum Gold Supporting Member

As the title says, I'm looking for a really nice sounding clean amp to use for cleans (lol) but also to act as a canvas for pedals.

I'm very happy with my XTC, but I am wanting to a different route with my new setup.

It has to have an FX loop, and that's my only real requirement.

At the top of my list is a Maz 18 NR Head.

From what I've read, this will be a great choice, but you guys are experts.

:)

I'm not really looking to spent 2000+, but will go to 2k if I have to.

I don't need a Two Rock or Komet. :RoCkIn

Thanks, everyone!

-Alex

PS: Just so you know what I'll be using it for: I play a lot of Iron Maiden, Smashing Pumpkins, Pink Floyd, Jethro Tull...

2. Senor Forum

Hrm... just noticed the Z28.

Does anyone know if this has an option for an FX Loop?

:drool

3. Greggy

Greggy Member

The Antipodes To All That is Sacred and Pure
    Groove Tubes Soul-O 45. Designed especially for pedals. Mercury magnetic transformers, top notch build quality and tone. They are hard to find used, but come up for sale now and then. Mine ain't going nowhere, though.

4. Mattbedrock

Mattbedrock Silver Supporting Member

Maybe you'll laugh, but I've been using a Crate CPB150 powerblock with a GNX3 for an ultra portable, don't care if it rains, amp set up for outdoor gigs here in FL. I plug the GNX3 into the stereo effects loop on the crate, run it into a 2x12 or 2x10 stereo cab and let it rip. Cheap and loud. I can make it sound like anything with the GNX3. 2 x 75 watts of clean power.

5. LVC

LVC Senior Member

If you can live without a loop --- Carr Vincent hands down.

With a loop --- you might want to check with Andy fuchs --- he is making a Fuchs Clean Machine (with loop) that has been designed with pedals specifically in mind.

I think most of the clips from NAMM on this link were done with the "Clean Machine" and pedals

http://www.youtube.com/results?search_query=fuchs+namm&search=Search

fuchs Website

http://www.fuchsaudiotechnology.com/index.html

Maybe Andy will chime in and tell you when the amp will be available.

6. Guitar Josh

Guitar Josh Resident Curmudgeon Silver Supporting Member

Really?

The 6L6 Vincent is biased deeply into Class A, yielding a pushed, ready-to-jump feel. The vibe from The Vincent is explosive and forward-tilting. It distorts very well in a large curd Tweedish way when cranked.

Doesn't sound like it fits the bill to me.

7. jzucker

jzucker Supporting Member

Lots of choices out there. Kingsley D30 or D50 are fabulous. The D50 can cover an amazing variety of tones from fenderesque to dumblesque. You can get it with an effect loop. Allen Old Flame would be a good one also and is very inexpensive. Both of these amps have reverb by the way.

You should also take a close look at the ceriatone amps. Amazing quality and hand-wired for less than a PCB based reissue.

8. LVC

LVC Senior Member

Well -- I used that amp extensively with pedals. I never used the boost and only used the drive to set attack sensitivity. When set to 33 watts -- amp had incredible headroom -- much better than a Rambler ---- amp was also much fuller and actually came in a smaller package.

For my tastes -- one of the best --- sold Rambler and got Vincent.

I have gone back to playing Dumble style amps and I am not using pedals as much as I use to and I recently let her go --- Been kicking myself in the butt ever since --- should have kept it.

Best grab and go amp I have ever owned.

I have not tried the fuchs Clean Machine yet --- but I have heard some very good things about it.

I do not know why the hell I sometimes sell gear that I like --- dumb dumb dumb. :bkw

I going to end up buying another Vincent or the Clean Machine.... just to have an amp around for when I want to break the board out.

Here is a picture on my old vinnie with my board (board has changed a bit -- swapped the KopyKat for a Replica)

[​IMG]

9. jzucker

jzucker Supporting Member

the only clip I heard of the clean machine was the tomo one and it didn't sound like what I was expecting which was a dumble steel string singer. It sounded like the clean channel of his ODS. Does anyone know if it is something else?

10. silencer eleven

silencer eleven Member

own the maz 18nr and it can be really good for what you are looking for.

z28 doesn't have the effects loops.

also check out the stangray. i am not sure on the fx loop but it has tons of clean headroom.

i do the clean platform thing. stang is number one right now.

are you looking for fender or more vox?

Jordan

11. LVC

LVC Senior Member

Will let Andy chime in --- but I have to say ---- you cannot go wrong with a Fuchs clean channel --- one of the main reasons I play his ODS.

I do not know if that is what is being delivered in Clean Machine --- have not heard it in person.

Youtube clips are not the best quality --- I am sure you can produce better sounding clips in a controlled environment.

12. theHoss

theHoss Member

I like all of Heritage's offerings. If you want a nice clean tone from them with a FX loop you might look at the Victory or the Patriot. They just started to offer the Patriot in a head/cab format with an FX loop. Basically, they take out the verb and add an FX loop that can be used as another channel if desired. I like the FX loop because they offer send and return controls as well as a tone control. I have found this to be very flexible.

13. FFTT

FFTT Member

Well two of your favorite groups used Hiwatts for all their classics, so
    you might want to talk to Bill at Reeves Amplification.

The Reeves Custom 50 or CP504 would be an excellent choice.

Can't help you on the FX loop, but lots of great music was made just fine without one.

14. Senor Forum

Thanks, man! I'll definitely look into it.

And thanks to EVERYONE for all of the quick and helpful responses.

I'm starting to think I should just learn to live without a loop.

I'm looking hard now at the Bruno Cowtipper 45 as well.

:drool

15. fr8_trane

fr8_trane Member

I own a victory combo and honestly it doesn't need an FX loop. The thing is a 22 watt CLEAN MACHINE. With single coils its stays clean till like 8 out of 10. On 10 its got less gain than a tubescreamer. My deluxe started breaking up above 4 for comparison.

Its an amazing platform for pedals.

16. nasonm

nasonm Supporting Member

The best option in my mind has been overlooked.

Yeah it's SS, but it's the king of cleans!

Roland JC-120 or JC-90 or JC-77 or JC-55 (take your pic!)

17. Fuchsaudio

Fuchsaudio Member

The Clean Machine is an SSS inspired platform. It's pedal friendly, it stays together well up to and including clipping, and the preamp is a modified ODS style (which is what the SSS was), with a few twists: Midboost with two switchable frequencies and a mid cap value switch as well, which alters how the tone controls work. Footswitch options include mid and gain boosts, reverb, loop bypass and global mute.

The loop is our stock series/parallel all tube loop, the reverb is an Accutronics 6 spring tank, with a 4-knob circuit (input level and tone, output level and tone). The driver circuit is certainly more like a tube bass amp (which the SSS was as well), with a cathode follower driving the power tube grids directly. It also has a much high current capacity in the B+ power supply. Like all Fuchs models, it has DC tube filaments on the preamp.

Jack: It's tough to make a sonic determination of what something sounds like (or doesn't) at a trade show. The inherent volume limitations and ambient noise can be a pain. We're thrilled that people loved all the new pedals, as well as the Clean Machine at NAMM. The fact they could make a judgment at-all is amazing !

18. Zim

Zim Member

Man, No one mentioned a Bassman? I had great luck w? Bassman heads for this and a '59 Bassman LTD does well too.

19. NyteOwl

NyteOwl Member

I picked up a used head in the forum and heartily agree. Don't know if these are important features to you or not but it's a single channel amp and the effects loop is parallel, not serial.

I also own a Koch Twintone I, which is also a fantastic base for pedals. Two-channel head with a serial effects loop.

Last but certainly not least, I have a Gibson GA15-RV 1x12 combo. Single channel, no loop, but takes pedals extremely well.

20. mcalldp

mcalldp Member

TopHat Ambassador 50 has been my choice for this type of application. I don't have an effects loop on mine but you can order them with one.