I'm looking for music for guitar that sounds like this

Discussion in 'The Sound Hound Lounge' started by marvin cobain, Apr 28, 2015.

1. marvin cobain

marvin cobain Member

I've always appreciated music with rich harmonies but I don't know many things similar to this
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9zs8F-qpHFw
    it reminds me a lot of the most atmospheric pieces of wayne shorter, and I'd really like to discover something else in this vein.

2. Jahn

Jahn Listens to Johnny Marr, plays like John Denver Supporting Member

3. marvin cobain

marvin cobain Member

I know some album dedicated to Bill Evans, John Mclaughlin too has made one with the tunes of the pianist. Not exactly what I'm looking for, anyway very nice arrangement and well played, I've appreciated it!

4. marvin cobain

marvin cobain Member

5. Dave Wakely

Dave Wakely Member

Have you tried listening to John Stowell? You might also lend an ear to Steve Masakowski's What It Was album (different style, but similarly sophisticated). Or, to go off at a total tangent, some of the multi-guitar African bands - Orchestra Baobab?

6. marvin cobain

marvin cobain Member

yes, and you're in the right direction, altough he left me a bit cold, but I'm judging him only considering some youtube video. Anyway he's certainly an incredibly sophisticated player. Do you have any particular track to listen?

Thank you, I don't remember to have listened anything of him, I'll check him out.

This seems a really strange suggestion, do you really mean things like this?
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KlR9SyUbq3s

Or is there a different side of them?

7. Dave Wakely

Dave Wakely Member

Stowell doesn't do much for me either, I was really just thinking off the top of my head (without sufficient caffeine, perhaps?)

That wasn't the Baobab I was thinking off, but I'm at work right now - if I remember tonight, I'll rifle through some CDs.

There are some other guitarists you might try listening to: Jim Hall (try All Across The City), Ed Bickert, Lenny Breau, Peter Leitch (try A Special Rapport), Dave Stryker (Guitar on Top - later stuff is much bluesier), Scofield's Quiet album (acoustic) - if I think of more between more pressing tasks, I'll post again. Happy listening in the meantime :)

8. GregoryL

GregoryL Supporting Member

Check out Wolfgang Muthspiel, I think he'll be along the lines of what you're looking for.

9. marvin cobain

marvin cobain Member

I know that one of Scofield, a very interesting album (still a bit different: I guess I'm looking for the atmosphere of albums like Davis's Nefertiti, or certain ballads like Teru or Dear sir if you know it). And Hall, Bickert and Breau are three of my very favorite guitarists ever. I guess Breau and Bickert were more into the traditional songbook than into the kind of post-bop Shorter or Miles Davis's second quintet were doing (altough Breau had that wonderful Bill Evans voicings in his playing and he played also that incredible version of McCoy Tyner's visions, I've always thought that have he lived he would had played more stuff like that... what a loss), Hall usually had a more modern style but I know the things he did with Giuffre and Rollins, I don't know the album you've mentioned, I'll listen to it.
    Never heard before of Peter Letich, while Stryker is one I've seen only on youtube before and he's someone I wanted to listen better. So thank you, if you want to add other stuff you're welcome.

10. Dave Wakely

Dave Wakely Member

The Leitch is mainly for a track 'Naima's Love Song', btw. If you like the suggested Stryker, his Nomad CD includes its best tracks, arranged for big band. Muthspiel is vary varied (and a great suggestion): I'd try starting with Travel Guide (guitar trio, including Towner).

11. marvin cobain

marvin cobain Member

I'm still looking for recommendations.
    Some more examples of what I'm looking for:

Linc Chamberland

Steve Giordano

Lenny Breau playing McCoy Tyner

12. mxk116

mxk116 Silver Supporting Member

13. Dave Wakely

Dave Wakely Member

14. marvin cobain

marvin cobain Member

You have already suggested him :)
    I don't like that backbeat but harmonically (altough the improvisation seems based on a single chord and I prefer rich modern harmonies) is more in the vein of what I'm looking for. Jim Hall while certainly one of the first moderns if I remember well in that beautiful album sounds more tied to the previous generation of traditional players to me, while I'm looking more for great comping with non functional harmony, quartal stuff, "outside playing" (but not totally free) and what is associated with post-bop associated with players like shorter (especially him and his compositions I would say), coltrane, corea, grolnick, hill, henderson, dolphy, zeitlin etc. But I'll give it another listening!

Another possible example: Genil Castro playing Stella by starlight, while the piece is a traditional standard I totally dig those incredible modern voicings with harmonics he's playing

Last edited: Jul 1, 2015