I'm making my 16 year old son go to the Kiss concert tonight..

Discussion in 'The Sound Hound Lounge' started by cbell2112, Aug 7, 2019.

Am I bad parent for making my son go to the Kiss concert?

1. Yes - he will never look at your the same - rock n roll is dead!

76 vote(s)
    34.9%
  2. No - he will be pleasantly surprised by the the sheer spectacle of it all at the very least

142 vote(s)
    65.1%
  1. WordMan

WordMan Member

I totally get that. And yeah, sometimes my kids would reply with a Teenage No, and we’d discuss. But I’d only cash in one of my “respect dad’s music taste” cards if I thought I could win them over. Kiss would be a harder sell for me.

If he goes i hope you both have a great time.

Last edited: Aug 7, 2019
    cbell2112 and PRW like this.
  2. RicardoDiazHimself

RicardoDiazHimself Member

I like kiss, I just think kids should do things they truly like. If you show them the music, and like it, you suggest going to a concert of them, and they accept, then good.
    Star wars was the greatest thing ever, but I hate it when relatives and friends force feed their kids until they love it too. It's just that. Of course kiss will provide hell of a show and some nice tunes everyone likes.
    You're not a bad parent. At all.

3. PRW

PRW Member

I do too. I have chided the OP a bit, but the one thing I did insist is that neither my son nor his brother were going to vegetate in front of a game console or anything else, they were going to "do something" even if I didn't try to make them do anything specifically.

WordMan likes this.
  4. Primus DuPont

Primus DuPont Member

5. motokev

motokev Member

It's good to get out and see a concert. But, did you tell him it's actually 50% KISS or is it now 25% (Gene only).

6. stevieboy

stevieboy Clouds yell at me Silver Supporting Member

A Kiss concert.

What, like that’s not bad enough?

Okay, joking. Sort of. I don’t like Kiss so it’s about the last place I’d drag my kid, no point in making both of us miserable!

But I might try to get him to go to something outside of his zone. “Force him” would be a little strong, and I wouldn’t. I think the OP has made it fairly clear that was an exaggeration.

7. Thumpalumpacus

Thumpalumpacus Member

Boring's no surprise with him.

8. Papanate

Papanate Gold Supporting Member

Not a bad parent - just a normal one. I have a 15 year old - she likes everything - but would rather be poked in the eye with acid drenched 1500 degree rod than go to an old guys concert. She's very sarcastically funny about what goes on 'old guys' concerts. I'm very proud of her attitude...

Oh ...BTW ....I would reconsider our whole friendship if you asked me to go to a Kiss concert with you. :rolleyes:

9. cbell2112

cbell2112 Member

You are a very lucky man. I would do anything for my kids to gravitate towards music naturally. I certainly did as a kid but no such luck for me. All of my kids certainly had the opportunity presented to learn any instrument and none have taken it up thus far.

My middle daughter is a very fine signer/dancer/performer, she was recommended to apply to Berklee but was also recommended to pursue a career in CIS. Very creative kid. I pushed her towards CIS for obvious reasons. She'll be a sophomore at James Madison.

I was kind of joking around with the poll because of the way things transpired today because I was a little frustrated. I just wonder if I would have spent the time on guitar as a kid if I had video games and an iPhone. Probably not.

PRW likes this.
  10. cbell2112

cbell2112 Member

Whatever

PRW likes this.
  11. PRW

PRW Member

I also posted in a response to someone that I hope your kid enjoys the show, and that I did make sure that my kids didn't sit in front of anything and vegetate even if I didn't specifically guide them into any area. (No. 2 son was into drama but he's increasingly becoming a digital zombie though, but he's going on 22 and I can't force him to do anything either, LOL!)

It just hit me that you're from up around Charleston ... my sister and brother-in-law are going to same show, they did a spur of the moment Savannah/Charleston double and managed to get tickets.

12. WBellman

WBellman Silver Supporting Member

If a Kiss show in 1976-77 was a 10 on a scale of 10, what's a show rate these days? Like the overall scale of things. The Kiss spectacle at its peak required a lot of space and costly props.

13. phil b

phil b Member

Its awesome that you are taking him. Let him experience new things with you, whether he likes it or not. He will remember it, or should, just for the show alone. Regardless of the music they do put on a really good show the bunch of times I've seen them. Hopefully your son will be able to take away something positive from that. Enjoy the show!!!

amoodymule and Tomo El Gato like this.
  14. PRW

PRW Member

I changed my vote on this after the OP revealed that this is more to get the kid out from in front of a screen than to try to force him into some kind of musical pigeonhole.

Forcing a kid to go to a concert he doesn't want to go to is still something I wouldn't do ... but I absolutely understand the OP's motivation. Hopefully it will be memorable even if it isn't enjoyable for the kid.

WordMan and IGuitUpIGuitDown like this.
  15. IGuitUpIGuitDown

IGuitUpIGuitDown Member

[​IMG]
    Strange how neither Shaggy nor Scooby is wearing The Spaceman, or The Catman makeup.

16. DiAmoroso

DiAmoroso Member

I voted Yes, but really only because it's funny. I think the key to the question might be: does he not really want to go, or does he really not want to go? If the former, then it's still a good opportunity for bonding and he may enjoy himself. If the latter, well there is probably no chance he'll enjoy it because he will not be open to the experience even if he would have enjoyed it had he not been forced. Neither makes you a bad parent, haha.

17. cbell2112

cbell2112 Member

He is pretty neutral about everything. Very calm kid. He doesn't really care either way. Once we are there, he will enjoy it.

Misterbulbous and DiAmoroso like this.
  18. Bluesful

Bluesful Supporting Member

Poor kid.

I wouldn't make anyone go to a KISS gig, or even listen to KISS.

19. freedom's door

freedom's door Member

The issue to me is that the kid could use a night off from playing a stupid video game.
    So I would give him a choice:
    Go to the KISS concert, or stay at home doing housework, or whatever needs to be done around the house. (assuming someone will be home to enforce this)
    Either way, he's taking a night off from the video games.

Let him decide which he'd rather do.

shallbe and Misterbulbous like this.
  20. wengr

wengr Member

Well you see, you said the K word. . The truth is that there are many whose bitterness is commensurate with the bands success.
    I'll probably take my three when they come around. A night out with the family verses the same old screen trance - Seems like an easy choice to me.

Last edited: Aug 7, 2019
    freedom's door likes this.