I'm missing the Black Crowes

Discussion in 'The Sound Hound Lounge' started by Peterma, Mar 28, 2014.

1. Peterma

Peterma Member

Wish they were touring.

That is all.

2. Colors

Colors Member

Listening to them right now.

3. dmr34

dmr34 Member

Jackie Greene (Crowes most recent lead guitar) is touring. Chris Robinson Brotherhood is touring. Rich Robinson has a few tour dates (actually with Jackie Greene).

Hopefully you'll be able to catch a show.

4. kokohi5

kokohi5 Member

I'd rather they put all their energy into their other bands than just go through the motions under the name The Black Crowes. Don't get me wrong, they're still a really, really good band when they do go through the motions, but it's just not the same.
    I'm pretty excited for all the Crowes related albums coming out this year. CRB, Marc Ford, Rich Robinson, and Luther too (although I'm not as big of a fan of his). I'm hoping Trigger Hippy puts out a full length too.

5. jiml

jiml Member

Me too...

I'm playing in a pretty decent Crowes cover band though, its been a blast learning and playing their tunes.

6. Gas-man

Gas-man Unrepentant Massaganist

How about Blackberry Smoke to tide you over?

They're like the Crowes but slightly less stoned and more country.

7. Ephi82

Ephi82 Member

As much as I like/love the Crowes,(in particular earlier stuff) I'm still hoping that Rod Stewart and Ronnie Wood put a Faces thing back together, if only for a few concerts. (they would need a very unique bass player to fill Lane's shows)(I wonder if Kenny Jones and Ian are still alive?)

After all, and I mean this in a very complimentary way, the Crowes are the children of Faces.

That is all............

8. soulohio

soulohio Member

people like to compare the Crowes to the Faces... but when you get down to it, Chris Robinson is a drop-dead ape of Terry Reid and in large part, his career. Yea, I hear the Stewart influence in his voice, but the Crowes on their best day could never hang with the Faces. Totally different vibe in concert..... and Rich has never met the power of an Ampeg either.... and I love the Crowes. Maybe the best successor to the ABB icon band we have right now... well, unless you look at the ABB off-shoot bands...

9. Ephi82

Ephi82 Member

Thats where I think the Crowes went wrong, they arent close to ABB I knew as a kid (early '70's), I guess they hang with the more jam oriented ABB of the modern day. Not my cup o tea

Early on, I thought they were more Faces like, although you are right, they dodnt have the unique talents like a Ronnie Lane, McLagan and Ronnie Wood. However, Gorman was(is) a monster, and Chris can sing the phonebook and sound great, however, imo, he's chosen to be a stoner/jammer rather than a rock artist....so be it

10. kokohi5

kokohi5 Member

You guys saying the Crowes are a more or less Faces knockoffs: I'm just curious if you've listened to everything the Crowes have done? Don't get me wrong, I totally hear the influence and vibe of the Faces, but there are a lot of other influences in there too that the Crowes rarely get credit for. I never heard anything from the Faces like Thorn In My Pride, Title Song, Dirty Hair Halo, Song Of The Flesh, Wiser Time, and many, many others. Not trying to start an argument, just wondering.

11. soulohio

soulohio Member

I remember when the Crowes broke. I was in LA...and people were comparing them to classic Rolling Stones-Keith Richards penned G tuned blooze songs... and I can hear that influence but if you dig a little deeper....the Faces comparison is more apt than the Stones...but go a little farther and listen to Terry Reid....man, that guy should be in the same fame league as Rod Stewart and Chris Robinson any day of the century....

I can take the Crowes as they are without tying them down to some old bri'ish rawknrollers... they got it going on. I am really glad they worked out their own identity....

12. HugalosPizza

HugalosPizza Member

I've been missing The Black Crowes since Three Snakes And One Charm.

13. kokohi5

kokohi5 Member

I agree on the Terry Reid thing too. Chris also stated a lot early on that he was a big Steve Marriott wannabe in the early days. Especially when people would compare him to Rod Stewart. Even though I hear some very specific Rod things like the "no-no-nothing" from Cindy Incidentally and "no-no-never" from Darling Of The Underground Press.

14. kokohi5

kokohi5 Member

Like. Although they were pretty awesome in 2005 and 2006. I really like BTF...UTF too.

15. Ephi82

Ephi82 Member

No argument here! I think they were heavily influenced by Faces (as well as other early '70's artists) and I loved their earlier music because I grew up in the "old days" and loved it when the Crowes popped up in the early 90's sounding reminiscent of my faves! They were really skillful and talented.

I believe that they established themselves as their own creative force, while keeping to sound and style of the '70's alive for oldies like me!

I faded as a fan when they became more jam oriented, as opposed to song oriented. Just my opinion

16. kokohi5

kokohi5 Member

I can totally see that. I love a lot of jam oriented music and I love when the Crowes do it most of the time, but sometimes they don't (or didn't) listen to each other enough to make the jams work, imo. Plus, when a band has so many great songs, I can see why one would rather hear 2 or 3 great songs instead of 1 song with a long jam (especially if it doesn't seem to go anywhere) at a show.
    I think they also lost a little something for while when Rich started soloing more. Complete speculation on my part, but it seems like as he got better, he valued Marc Ford's contribution less. And Johnny Colt too since Rich played a lot of the bass on Three Snakes. That's one thing I liked about their last 2 studio albums (even though Warpaint is pretty sub par) is that he at least didn't feel the need to play a majority of the guitar parts and most of the bass too. Or maybe Chris just didn't let him.
    Still, they're one of my favorites and I'll always keep up with what they're doing. I really love the first song from Rich's forthcoming album. His singing gets better with each album and he hasn't written many riffs that I don't love.
    Chris on the other hand, well at least he has Neil Casal in his band. I just don't smoke enough pot anymore to appreciate everything he does I guess. :)

17. weenerdoggs

weenerdoggs What's Up Dogg?

Kaneohe Bay, Honolulu, Hawaii, USA, Earth...
    Love the Crowes! We do a couple covers of their tunes and there is nothing better to get people up outta their chairs and shakin their booties!

18. weenerdoggs

weenerdoggs What's Up Dogg?

Kaneohe Bay, Honolulu, Hawaii, USA, Earth...
    And personally, I think the Black Crowes sound just like the Black Crowes.

Just sayin'

19. FenderBigot

FenderBigot Supporting Member

Love the Crowes and glad I saw them last year when they toured. I downloaded Freak n Roll into the fog and listen to it a lot. MF was a monster that night.

I wish they would release an album that could measure up to Southern Harmony & Musical Companion... Not a bad song on that disc.

These guys are in my top 10 list of all time.

20. kcprogguitar

kcprogguitar Member

Crowes will be back. When the brothers need more money to support what they really want to do. Which they are doing. BC is a tremendously valuable trade name.