I'm missing the Black Crowes

Discussion in 'The Sound Hound Lounge' started by Peterma, Mar 28, 2014.

1. Colors

Colors Member

Warpaint is as good, IMO. The live recording of Warpaint is awesome.

Last edited: Mar 29, 2014
  2. Taller

Taller Member

Anywhere is everywhere and nowhere is nothing.
    I tend to agree.
    Remember - next year is the 25th anniversary of their debut record and Rolling Stone has always supported them. I say they'll walk into the RRHOF as soon as they're eligible, which will prompt a reunion.

3. orogeny

orogeny Supporting Member

the thing i dig most about the black crowes is that they helped me discover marc ford, whom i prefer to probably any current artist or band currently working.

i dig the crowes. seen 'em in the first row.

marc's tunes and style might as well be aimed at my head.

4. neville5000

neville5000 Member

Great band, and one of my favorites, but it's been awhile since they've been relevant. I haven't felt the need to see them since 2005. I'll go again if MF is in the lead guitar spot. Otherwise....

5. mixwiz

mixwiz Member

I work for a auto dealer group and one of our vendors throws great parties at nada. Last year it was grace potter with the rev sittin in. This year it was the crowes. They were great and it seemed the brothers were actually having fun.

6. Jimmy3Fingers

Jimmy3Fingers Member

Funny...I was going to recommend the same thing. :beer

7. DewieCox

DewieCox Supporting Member

Not overly familiar with the Faces....enough to hear the influence..but I prefer when what I view as their other major historic touchstones like Zep, Stones, The Band, and Floyd(more in the live setting) shine through.

One of the few bands, with a catalog as large, that has never really put out a stinker. Always amazing live. Great playing, great sound, great show

Not getting the "too jammy" comments. They have a couple songs a night that get stretched out. They do their jamming, but I would hesitate to say theyre anywhere close to what your typical jam bands do. Still heavily a song first/jam when it fits band to me. CR is doing the total opposite of that and his material really struggles for it.

It's a testament to the Robinson bros and Steve Gorman that they've made and played great music throughout every lineup.

8. mtperry85

mtperry85 Member

That's funny, because I was happy to hear their tour ended so I could see Jackie Greene again playing his own stuff at smaller clubs here in Northern California! I'm glad the Crowes filled his pockets, though :)

9. Nebakanezer

Nebakanezer Silver Supporting Member

In a geographical anomaly, 2 weeks from everywhere
    Although I had fun seeing them last year, I just feel that the music was not elevated to the level that it's been at in the past. Leaving the shows, I realized that I paid most of my attention to Steve. I've had the pleasure of seeing most line-ups with the exception of Cease and Clores, and even though it looked like they were having more fun than in the past (last years show) it felt somewhat superficial. Marc and Ed catapulted a great band into one of the baddest live shows around. They injected so much soul into this group that it's got to be a hard constant struggle to recapture that glory. I could go on and on, only because this is one of my favorite bands.

10. kokohi5

kokohi5 Member

I saw them in fall of 06 with Stacey and Clores and I honestly didn't miss Marc and Ed as much as I did with Luther/Jackie and Adam. I wouldn't say Clores is as good as Ed, but his overall keyboard sound was better and he played really, really well. And Paul had the same kind of tone and style that the Crowes tunes need, and he was really good about playing off of and along with Rich and the others in the jams. The other thing I loved about that time period is that they did some songs from the solo albums. I wish they would have done more of that, like the Grateful Dead always did (doing songs from Bobby's and Jerry's albums).

11. Nebakanezer

Nebakanezer Silver Supporting Member

In a geographical anomaly, 2 weeks from everywhere
    I saw Adam's 1st or 2nd show with the band, I like what he's done on the last 2 albums but when he puts his stamp on older tunes it can be cringe worthy. I agree about Paul, I liked his playing and 1st saw him when Chris was supporting his solo album. I've seen them with Luther just as many times as with Marc and I appreciated the fact that the band was moving forward in the direction of their choice and trying to not live in the past. 2005-2006 was a blessing for many fans, myself included.

12. The Golden Boy

The Golden Boy Member

I'm doing a Black Crowes mini-set next weekend. It's been a blast.

13. cgallent

cgallent Member

I caught them on the last tour when they played the Ryman (the electric show) and it was one of the top 3 concerts I've ever been to. They killed it that night. And, Frampton coming out and sitting in was just over the top.

I've seen them a bunch of times and they are my absolute favorite band. After the show I told my wife this very thing...it was the first time I had seen them where they looked like they were having fun. Chris actually looked happy.

On a side note, check out Steve Gorman's sports talk show. He's been doing it for a while here in Nashville and just went national on Fox Sports radio, it's really cool. I heard him say that all musicians want to talk sports and all athletes want to talk music - that's the foundation for the show.

14. Tweed335

Tweed335 Member

I met Chris this past fall, when I was on my lunch break. He was down in the French Quarter coming out of Johnny's Po-Boys. I was on the phone with my wife across from Johnny's when I see this guy, that I told my wife looked like Chris from the Crowe's. I hung up the phone, went up to him and asked if he was who I thought he was and he was a super cool dude.

I was a total gushing fan boy, I thanked him and his brother and the Crowes for all that they've done for music and their influence on me. He shook my hand, complimented my purple colored shirt and took off. I try to be more reserved and cool when I meet my heroes, but as this will most definitely be the only time I meet a Robinson, I had to tell him everything haha. Really cool dude.

15. Marcfordsfuzz513

Marcfordsfuzz513 Member

i was a huge BC fan... I still like them but i burnt myself out. I pretty much worshipped them for 3 years straight.

What i like about them is they can sound like the Faces, The Stones, Neil Young, Dylan, the Band, The Allman Brothers, but they still have their own sound.

I wish did some more rockers though, but i really enjoyed their last two albums.. Warpaint, is a great album to cruise around in on a nice summer day.. Before the Frost, is great as well. I like everything from them. Chris can get on my nerves a little but he seems pretty cool... Rich is the one i'd love to sit down with and have a cup of coffee and chat with.

16. rockguitar2000

rockguitar2000 Member

They are going on tour now with Toad the Wet Sprocket opening for them.

17. AParrotLooksAt4O

AParrotLooksAt4O Member

I'm not in worship phase, but I still play their albums on a weekly, if not daily basis. So much great material there from all eras of the band.

Just bought tickets to see Chris Robinson Brotherhood here in Chicago at Park West, which I am super stoked about!

18. LPSlinger

LPSlinger Member

The shows I heard with Paul Stacey were really interesting. He had a very unique style that was similar to Marc's in that it was very melodic. He could get a little noodly sometimes when Marc would've been more straightforward rock & roll. But he really was an interesting choice and I think he would've been a great member of the band if he had enjoyed performing live more.