I'm new into learning home recording, but a fairly good writer of songs.

Discussion in 'Recording/Live Sound' started by jhansenku, Apr 26, 2016.

1. jhansenku

jhansenku Supporting Member

Would anybody be interested in coming to my house for in house recording lessons with the software, hardware tricks and trades etc... I would love to spend a few days together. I'm in Kansas and I would pay you to make this happen! Pm me if interested.
    I run Mac, audient id14 a/I . Garage band moving to pro logic, guitars, a bass, keyboard, ez drummer. Atomic Amplifire.
    Various mics. Come help me!

2. mixwiz

mixwiz Member

I'd try posting this on your local c/l. Also, guitar center has (had?) free introduction to recording classes that would be worth a shot as well.

3. Jdstrat

Jdstrat Supporting Member

Check out a guy on YouTube who goes by Garagebandandbeyond.

4. Crowder

Crowder Dang Twangler Silver Supporting Member

I'd definitely recommend YouTube and/or some of the paid online courses like LogicPro Expert. Each of the programs you mention has some sort of online support community that you can swim around in. From a conceptual concept, there's a great epic thread on cockos forum called "Why do your recordings sound like ass?" Read it, believe it.

You want to absorb a concept and then put it into action yourself. Just learn to enjoy the process. You don't need a tutor.

In terms of priorities, maybe go at it like this:
    • Get your Amplifire connected to Logic and learn to get some sounds that appeal to you.
    • Learn to find, modify and import grooves from EZ Drummer. Practice jamming/recording guitars alongside the grooves. Try to make some simple music that way, just for fun. Leave the drums in the middle, pan your guitars off to each side.
    • Learn to define the sections of your song using the arrangement track in Logic.
    • Once you have some cool-sounding drum and guitar stuff going on, start experimenting with bass. Record your bass direct. Learn to use Logic's plugins to make your bass sound the way you like it. Read, learn, experiment.
    • Once you've got some stuff happening here, you'll have the rest of your life set aside to learn to get good vocal tracks.

By the time you've worked through these steps you'll have your own list of things to learn.