I'm new to CL, would you respond to this?

skydog

got this this morning:

You still have it?. I'd like to buy it. If you would like to sell.
I need it. So you can text me.Thank you

Highnumbers

Silver Supporting Member
Yeah, I will ALWAYS reference what the item is, when reaching out to a seller because any vague references to "this" "it" or especially "the item" are red flags for a scam/phishing email.

Sadly I can't include my phone number in CL ads anymore, as a seller because you now get inundated with scam calls and texts.

Jim85IROC

Whenever I get those types of messages, I reply through the Craigslist email, not via text or my personal email. 95% of the time it's a scam, but there's no harm in replying through the email, and 5% of the time it turns out to be a legit buyer who just doesn't know any better, which is why I do still reply to the email.

But don't ever text them until after it's been established that this is a normal human and not a scammer.

loveme1965

Three chords, no waiting!
Gold Supporting Member
Never reply to anything where you wonder if it’s real. The best case scenario is that your time is wasted. I also never respond to any message of “Do you still have it?” and nothing else. In fact, never reply to any CL response that doesn’t include a name and phone number.

Trending Topics