I'm not a fan of Satriani, Gilbert, or Vai...why do I like Andy Timmons so much?

Discussion in 'The Sound Hound Lounge' started by Holliman, Feb 19, 2009.

1. Holliman

Holliman Triad Abuser

Ibanez guitars, Mesa amps...I should hate this guy. I am blown away instead. There is something different about his tone and playing. I can't really put my finger on it, but I just can't seem to get enough lately. Maybe his "normal guy" image has something to do with it?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cKeMzevbcgw

2. Ed DeGenaro

Ed DeGenaro Supporting Member

Because Timmons added some Texas grease to his stew.

3. Pat Healy

Pat Healy Member

Timmons is a completely different animal from the others you mentioned. Vintage tones and Texas blues/rock flair in addition to the shred stuff. He's a top 3 guy for me.

4. Bankston

Bankston Member

Andy is one of those guys who can play anything well.

He's a monster.

5. PosterBoy

PosterBoy Member

phrasing and tone and a raw emotion as well as technique

6. Mike Fleming

Mike Fleming Member

I just heard of that guy. He played such cool country in the videos I saw that I was surprised to learn he was actually a big rock guy.

7. atquinn

atquinn Supporting Member

Hard to say. Just be glad you like him. I am a Vai and Satch fan and, while I appreciate what Timmons does (and think he has great tone), I can't listen to most instrumental rock guitarists, inlcuding him, without hearing some combination of Satch, Vai or Steve Morse.

-Austin

8. Holliman

Holliman Triad Abuser

His disc..."That was then, this is now" is remarkable.

9. guitarsnguns04

guitarsnguns04 Member

Timmons is awesome..complete package. As a side note Paul Gilbert has really worked on his phrasing and non shred playing and his new album is amazing. His techniques are freakish as we all know and with his playing evolving as much as it has he is definately in the same league as Andy Timmons but they are still very different

10. Lance

Lance Member

It's because he's from Indiana, but had enough sense to get the hell outta there! I STILL can't believe my parents actually wanted to live anywhere near Gary, the armpit of the nation.

11. jlw001

jlw001 Member

I really think Mr. Timmons is a fantastic guitarist who combines technique, extraordinary phrasing, and incredible feel. If you think about it, there are many guitarists who have great amounts of two of these attributes. However, Mr. Timmons has a great amount of all three.

I do not hear anything derivative of Satch from his playing. Maybe some of Vai's quirkiness in phrasing is there. Just because Andy can play incredible country tinged lines does not mean he is in any way derivative of Steve Morse. However, that's my opinion.

I'm not that big of a fan of "shred" guitarists, but I really appreciate Mr. Timmons. He and Mr. Gilbert are probably my two favorite guitarists in the realm that is "shred". I can appreciate anyone's technique, but to really enjoy listening to a guitarist for more than one song takes the combination of the three elements: technique, extraordinary phrasing, and incredible feel.

12. todd richman

todd richman Senior Member

Ed nailed it-Andy has that Texas sensibility and tone in his playing. Even his gear screams hot Texas rock.

13. guitarlifestyle

guitarlifestyle I like guitars. Silver Supporting Member

Yep, just enough Texas blues mixed in with the rest of it.

14. robelinda2

robelinda2 Member

Timmons is so versatile, acoustic, country, blues, rock, shred, fusion.

15. SouthernShred

SouthernShred Member

Probably my favorite guitarist...

16. JackD

JackD Gold Supporting Member

Simple, he's got a great feel and he's musical (unlike some of the other guys you mention--ouch!)

17. atquinn

atquinn Supporting Member

I don't hear any Steve Morse in his playing, I was more mentioning him, because there are alot of guitarists that do stuff that remind me of him (Petrucci for example). But for example, both these songs scream Joe Satriani to me:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lH5ALwj_fKU
    (the entire song)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cKeMzevbcgw
    (mostly the rhythm at the beginning that gets repeated)

But keep in mind, I listened to alot of Satriani growing up! Anyway, obviously he does stuff that sounds nothing like those songs, but to me, he isn't as unique stylistically as guitarists like Satch, Vai, Morse and Eric Johnson. Think he has better tone than all those guys though (and I like all those guys' tone) :D

18. Bankston

Bankston Member

I saw Andy cut Satch's head at the Dallas Guitar Show a few years ago.

Satch can't hold Andy's jock, imo.

19. Brooks

Brooks Member

i totally agree; he's not as original stylistically as vai, johnson, and satch (but they're all older than andy). i like his melodic phrasing and tone way better, and he can also play jazz and country. andy's the only shredder i still listen to. but, i'm biased because i was at north texas in the late 80's so i got to see andy play at clubs in denton & dallas up close a half dozen times. i hung out w/ bassist mike daane some, too. my pal steve took lessons from andy.

20. wichita

wichita Supporting Member

He's from Texas and he knows Tone. It's in his fingers like Joe B, EJ or any other great guitarist (not that Joe is from Texas, don't have to be)
    The other guys are great technicians but IMO VAI has one of the worst collection of guitar tones that I have ever heard in my life.
    Read the black page all you want... just don't plug into an amp please.
    Ace Frahley had better tone than Vai. I'm being serious