Im not all too familiar with GnR. what does Slashs' style breakdown to

Discussion in 'The Sound Hound Lounge' started by 70 Mach 1, Oct 22, 2019.

1. 70 Mach 1

70 Mach 1 Supporting Member

is he a straight maj-min pent guy, model or mixed

Gig Young likes this.
  2. Crowder

Crowder Dang Twangler Silver Supporting Member

To me it sounds like a hotter/flashier version of the blues rock approach from the 70's. It's not far removed from Thin Lizzy/Slade/T. Rex stuff, just hotter tone and faster licks. He doesn't have an especially memorable vibrato or anything else like that IMO.

lpd, led zep fan, jbd3 and 8 others like this.
  3. jammwill

jammwill Member

I've always heard people say he's strictly minor pentatonic (in a derogatory way), but it still sounds pretty awesome to me. :dunno I know I can't play minor pentatonic and make it sound that good.

4. muzishun

muzishun Member

Ya he is straight and I guess you could say he is a model. He does photo shoots anyway. And we're all mixed, really.

5. Blackmoreguitar

Blackmoreguitar Silver Supporting Member

I think he's a much better guitarist than he is given credit for, at least on here. He doesn't play just pentatonic licks; he's very melodic imo and plays with the changes at times. I don't listen to GnR but love his 3 solo albums.

6. townsend

townsend Member

Does he use the harmonic minor scale as well as pentatonic and blues scales?

7. Yer Blues

Yer Blues Member

Are you one of the 1,000,000,000 people who have watched or listened to Sweet Child O'Mine on youtube? Middle section of the solo has a fast E harmonic minor run that he wrote when was 20-21. He's certainly no Yngwie and whether or I don't know whether he knew the theory behind it or not at the time versus it just sounding good. The ending solo to November Rain also starts with a lick in C harmonic minor.

Even in the early days I think he was more than just a pentatonic player. Plus, there were some great songs and great riffs... and 35 years later he's still creating them. Like a lot of musicians, he's trying to get what he hears in his head out on the instrument.

Dorian2, Drew66, acwild and 27 others like this.
  8. Yer Blues

Yer Blues Member

BTW... I think he's recorded something like 34 songs with GNR and 80 something songs on his own with the Snakepit and SMCK stuff.

Cabwaystar and hookakat1 like this.
  9. cbell2112

cbell2112 Member

Here's a good one with a flamenco clean-classical sounding theme and then just straight ahead ripping hard rock. I am not sure what scale he is using but seems like he is at a master level to me.

10. RLD

RLD Member

He's a really good guitarist and knows how to perform and milk whatever style the job demands.

drlucky, Cabwaystar, Woowoo and 7 others like this.
  11. prototype

prototype Member

yeah its 90% minor pentatonic and his tone or chops don't particularly stand out but he has a very above-average melodic sensibility and he hit at the right time with the right band. people hate on the wah usage but the sound and flavor he gets from it suits the music really well as I always found it played up to his strengths as a player, which are sounding very vocal and very laid back on the guitar. he's basically a guy with a great aesthetic that plays very hummable guitar parts that people vibe to. there are worse things to be.

12. 27sauce

27sauce Member

I’d say 90% of the time he uses more than 5 tones in a solo.

He’s stock, but not that stock.

13. CharAznable

CharAznable Member

Always loved Slash.

Holding the torch for melody and tone in an era hostile to it.

14. Jayyj

Jayyj Supporting Member

I think he's one of those players that doesn't have anything to put your finger on but he has something going on in his approach to melody and phrasing that ranks him as an exceptional player, at least within classic rock parameters. I'm not really a fan of high octane rock guitar - too much of an indie kid for that stuff - but Slash is one of those players I can appreciate even without being particularly into the genre, and I think it's partly that foot in the traditional rock camp that makes it accessible.

G'n'R were one of those bands I vaguely knew about at the time (I would have been very early teens when the Use Your Illusion albums came out), ignored whilst I was caught up in the indie thing and raiding my aunt's 60s and 70s classic rock albums then bought the albums cheap on a whim a decade or so later and it struck me pretty much exactly as you described - pretty much just fast, beefed up classic 70s rock. It reminds me a lot of Sticky Fingers era Stones as well in that sense.

15. CharAznable

CharAznable Member

I remember being a kid in the 80's and hearing friends complain "Slash sucks, all he does is play melodies"

scotth, drlucky, Jimmy_Rage and 11 others like this.
  16. ToneGrail

ToneGrail Member

I think his playing is reminiscent of Barry Goudreau and Tom Scholtz. I would say its a lot more melodic than just your typical blues scale riffing.

If any hard rock guitarist were to earn the title of "just pentatonic" it would be Angus Young, not Slash.

That Bach-inspired piece that was posted earlier by cbell is nowhere near "just pentatonic".

Last edited: Oct 23, 2019
    Dark Matter, Rod, beanbass and 2 others like this.
  17. COYS

COYS Supporting Member

I don't know what it is about TGP, but the standard bash of anyone who isn't Robben Ford (or whom we don't like just because) seems to be "he's all pentatonic".

Go learn a few of his songs and solos and do the analysis, you'll see he isn't, and you'll be better for the work.

18. sixty2strat

sixty2strat Member

Really interesting comparison, read it and in my head I heard exactly when you meant.

19. 27sauce

27sauce Member

I’m not sure most realize the word pentatonic actually means something.

vanderkalin, HERSCHEL, COYS and 11 others like this.
  20. MrDoty

MrDoty Supporting Member

please don't ignore his FEEL and groove...the dude rocks out on the rhythm parts too. excellent groove for rock guitar.

drlucky, John 14:6, Drew66 and 18 others like this.