Im not all too familiar with GnR. what does Slashs' style breakdown to

Crowder

Dang Twangler
Silver Supporting Member
To me it sounds like a hotter/flashier version of the blues rock approach from the 70's. It's not far removed from Thin Lizzy/Slade/T. Rex stuff, just hotter tone and faster licks. He doesn't have an especially memorable vibrato or anything else like that IMO.

Yer Blues

Does he use the harmonic minor scale as well as pentatonic and blues scales?
Are you one of the 1,000,000,000 people who have watched or listened to Sweet Child O'Mine on youtube? Middle section of the solo has a fast E harmonic minor run that he wrote when was 20-21. He's certainly no Yngwie and whether or I don't know whether he knew the theory behind it or not at the time versus it just sounding good. The ending solo to November Rain also starts with a lick in C harmonic minor.

Even in the early days I think he was more than just a pentatonic player. Plus, there were some great songs and great riffs... and 35 years later he's still creating them. Like a lot of musicians, he's trying to get what he hears in his head out on the instrument.

prototype

yeah its 90% minor pentatonic and his tone or chops don't particularly stand out but he has a very above-average melodic sensibility and he hit at the right time with the right band. people hate on the wah usage but the sound and flavor he gets from it suits the music really well as I always found it played up to his strengths as a player, which are sounding very vocal and very laid back on the guitar. he's basically a guy with a great aesthetic that plays very hummable guitar parts that people vibe to. there are worse things to be.

Jayyj

Supporting Member
I think he's one of those players that doesn't have anything to put your finger on but he has something going on in his approach to melody and phrasing that ranks him as an exceptional player, at least within classic rock parameters. I'm not really a fan of high octane rock guitar - too much of an indie kid for that stuff - but Slash is one of those players I can appreciate even without being particularly into the genre, and I think it's partly that foot in the traditional rock camp that makes it accessible.

To me it sounds like a hotter/flashier version of the blues rock approach from the 70's. It's not far removed from Thin Lizzy/Slade/T. Rex stuff, just hotter tone and faster licks.
G'n'R were one of those bands I vaguely knew about at the time (I would have been very early teens when the Use Your Illusion albums came out), ignored whilst I was caught up in the indie thing and raiding my aunt's 60s and 70s classic rock albums then bought the albums cheap on a whim a decade or so later and it struck me pretty much exactly as you described - pretty much just fast, beefed up classic 70s rock. It reminds me a lot of Sticky Fingers era Stones as well in that sense.

ToneGrail

I think his playing is reminiscent of Barry Goudreau and Tom Scholtz. I would say its a lot more melodic than just your typical blues scale riffing.

If any hard rock guitarist were to earn the title of "just pentatonic" it would be Angus Young, not Slash.

That Bach-inspired piece that was posted earlier by cbell is nowhere near "just pentatonic".

Last edited:

COYS

I don't know what it is about TGP, but the standard bash of anyone who isn't Robben Ford (or whom we don't like just because) seems to be "he's all pentatonic".

Go learn a few of his songs and solos and do the analysis, you'll see he isn't, and you'll be better for the work.

27sauce

I don't know what it is about TGP, but the standard bash of anyone who isn't Robben Ford (or whom we don't like just because) seems to be "he's all pentatonic".

Go learn a few of his songs and solos and do the analysis, you'll see he isn't, and you'll be better for the work.
I’m not sure most realize the word pentatonic actually means something.

Trending Topics