I'm not feeling the magic with my TR Emerald 50

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs' started by Yossi, Feb 8, 2008.

1. Yossi

Yossi Gold Supporting Member

I think that an Emerald 50 may be too much amp for me. I am running a Marshall 4x12 1960a cab and I have it in my large basement jam room.
    I've had it for about 2 years. For a while I was running a 2x12 with it.
    The clean channel is very tight and the amp is very loud so I might not have it up enough to really get it to do its thing. I am using one of my OCD, BB, or ACplus to get over drive. I can get it fine. Maybe I am looking for more of a swirl, or looser sound. I read about the Two Rock amps and heard clips.
    Could my problem be the speakers in my Cab? The cab itself or the Amp.
    I really liked the Fender Bassman that I played the other day. Perhaps I am thinking of a Tweed sound. I am not a professional musician but I love the guitar enough to try to get a great sound. What can the experts tell me about my Two rock Marshall Cab set up and the sounds that it is designed for?

2. Rod

Rod Tone is Paramount Silver Supporting Member

I owned an Emerald 50 for a year...I sold it because, yes, it was pretty stiff sounding, and also because it had to be played so loud to get it in it's sweet spot....All that being said, the newer Two Rocks are sweeter sounding, and sound better at lower volumes,,,espiecally the Jet

3. michael.e

michael.e Silver Supporting Member

Are you using a phase correct speaker cable with the head/cab combo?
    Emee

4. Yossi

You lost me on this one.

5. drbob1

drbob1 Silver Supporting Member

TRs are wired so that a normal speaker cable will result in the speaker cone going backwards when you first hit a note (out of phase with the guitar). It will sound different and possible better if you use a speaker cable with the hot wired to the ground and vice versa (reverse phase).

If you decide not to keep it, I'm sorta interested in an Emerald Pro, let me know...

6. Yossi

As far as I can tell I have a heavy duty cable connecting the amp with the speaker cab. This is not my area of expertise. What should I buy or try to do?

The Emerald 50 and the Emerald Pro are different amps. BTW.

7. TNJ

TNJ Gold Supporting Member

get a couple of fane alnico 12's and put them in 212cab.

then get back to us.

s.
    j

8. datguytim

datguytim Member

Had a horrible experience with an Emerald 50 many years ago. Due to that, I'll never go there again.

9. Yossi

What about the 4x12 Marshall 1960a cab? That's what I have already. Is that the problem?

10. michael.e

michael.e Silver Supporting Member

As far as I know all TR's are wired for reverse polarity. You know how a regular speaker cable goes Black to tip on one side and black to tip on the other side, with white to sleeve on one side and white to sleeve on the other side?

Reverse one of the plugs so the black is to sleeve and the white is to tip.

This is how TR's are meant to run. Get a hold of the guys at TR for more info.
    The difference will be like night and day.

Emee

11. Yossi

Last night I went to use my TR and I couldn't get a sound other than a hiss. I suppose that means one of my Tubes bit the dust.
    It could be the reason that that I wasn't getting a great sound.

I have been told that my Marshall Cab wont work well with the TR. Why?
    The cab has 4 of the Celestion G12-70 speakers. Shouldn't this cab be able to work with just about any good amp. If not, please explain why.

12. yZe

yZe Senior Member

Tampa, on the Territory of Florida (D.C. Free Zone
    They just told you, it's because they have their heads designed to run i reverse phase, and your speaker cable is wired the other way

13. Yossi

I have to admit my ignorance in this area. Yes I see that people are trying to explain it to me. I am just not getting it.

14. drbob1

drbob1 Silver Supporting Member

OK, when you hit a note on your guitar, the string vibrates the magnetic field from the pickup, which creates a positive voltage in the windings, which goes down your guitar cord to your amp and is amplified. Ideally, that first voltage then causes the speakers to move forward, so that your guitar and amp are in phase with each other. OK? The TR amps are wired so that using a normal speaker cable means the first movement of the speaker will be backwards, creating slightly less attack on the note. So you need a speaker cable that reverses the signal. The 1/4" plug on your cable has a tip, then an insulator, then the sleeve (called a TS plug). Normally the tips are wired to each other and the sleeves are wired to each other so the signal in one end comes out the other the same polarity (a positive voltage in one end is positive in the other). If you reverse the wires on ONE of the plugs, then a positive voltage at one end will cause a negative voltage at the other (trust me if this doesn't make sense, it's based on the relative difference between tip and sleeve) and reverse the polarity or phase of the signal: now your speakers go forwards when you hit a note.

BTW, it's sort of a subtle difference, a bad tube is NOT subtle, so that's more likely your problem. Get that sucker serviced and get the tech to make you up the cable at the same time...

15. Yossi

Thank you very much!!

16. wladok

wladok Member

This is the first I've heard about TRs being reverse polarity. I run my Topaz through a Two Rock 1x12 ... should I still use a reverse polarity speaker cable?

17. kurtsstuff

kurtsstuff Member

Could be why I didn't "get it"......

18. Yossi

OK here's what Joe Mloganoski of K&M Analog Designs, LLC said to do:

"Well, it's really not difficult, and pretty clear......
    reverse the connections at the input jack to the speaker cab. That's it,
    you're done! Can you solder? If not, cut the speaker wire 1/2 way
    between the input jack and the speakers, and reconnect the wires the
    opposite way. tape them up, making sure they don't touch.
    I did not realize you had the 70 series speakers, I assumed they were
    vintage 30s. They should sound pretty good with your amp."

It's not cable that should be changed, rather the speaker wires. I will have to wait to find out how this will work now that my tubes are gone and have to be replaced.