I'm not knocking it...But I never understand when I see people here with

Discussion in 'Guitars in General' started by SW33THAND5, Feb 14, 2012.

1. SW33THAND5

SW33THAND5 Member

6....10, hell, maybe 15 or more variations of basically the same guitar. :huh I mean, buy and play what makes you happy, I get that. I understand. But I always like it when I see people with a collection of various guitars. Totally different playing experiences in terms of feel and tone...

I guess that guitars are like women. Some guys have a "type" while other guys like a lot of variety.

Me? I have a Strat, a Tele, a Gretsch, and an Explorer. I have owned PRSs, Les Pauls, LP Specials, Hollowbodies...etc.

through it all...I have always had a Strat of some sort. I can go without one of those. But I would not want (need) three of them.

2. 67blackcherry

67blackcherry Supporting Member

I have 2 Cunetto Relic 50's strats....4 Cunetto Relic 60's strats....and your point is....

3. SW33THAND5

SW33THAND5 Member

read above. i stated my point:huh

4. janosfia

janosfia Member

They gotta coordinate to the wardrobe.

5. partsocaster

partsocaster Member

I see your point but does it count that I have 2 single cuts (each with different pups), a Tele and a Epi Dot, not to anyone but me, really. Seeing a person with 12 Les Pauls doesn't make much sense to me but it doesn't have to, it makes sense to the person that owns them and that's what counts.

6. Lennon

Lennon Member

exactly and a matching strap to go with each.

7. Matt L

Matt L Supporting Member

I like to have some variety, but on the other hand, I also like some sort of continuity (color, brands, etc). I could see someone having only Strats, because there are endless variants on that one model.

Some of these folks really are more collectors than musicians, anyways.

8. vbf

vbf Supporting Member

and shoes.....can't forget the shoes

9. germs

germs Member

i think i'd quite enjoy a small-ish collection of the tele-variants...

10. s2y

s2y Member

I used to have a plethora of Peavey USA basses that were basically identical. I sold most of them when I realized how redundant my collection was.

On guitar, I have a "few" guitars with Floyd Roses, mostly in case I break a string and different tunings. If Line 6 ever makes a Floyd bridge and a GOOD guitar, I'd be set.

11. Lublin

Lublin Senior Member

Got the money? Love variations of the same guitar? Go for it! No harm, no foul.

12. TC (Houston)

TC (Houston) Member

I've got a couple of other guitars, which I love, but I play strats about 90% of the time. When you get to know an intsrument intimately, you really appreciate the unique experience that different combinations of elements can deliver. Pickups, fretboard material and radius, type of wood, etc. I'm always wanting to try different variations on the same theme without dumping guitars that I really enjoy for their own unique qualities. It seems pretty natural to amass a collection of the same type of guitar over a long period of time.

13. morlll

morlll Member

I'm sorta with the op.

LP Goldie
    LP Jr.
    White neck Strat
    59 Rosewood Re-issue Strat
    Guild Bluesbird
    68 Tele
    S100 12 string.

I need a 660 Ricky 12 and an ES 3??

Other than the strats none are the same. The B.B. and the Goldie are different scale and the B.B. is channeled.

I see his point

14. Summa

Summa Silver Supporting Member

Well said. :agree

15. Tim Plains

Tim Plains Member

Hey, my wife doesn't even care that I have six Les Pauls; so, why should you? :rotflmao

[​IMG]

16. peskypesky

peskypesky Member

WoW!!!!

17. SW33THAND5

SW33THAND5 Member

nice! now that is variety! now you just need a few different amps (if you don't already have them)

a tweed
    a blackface
    a VOXish amp
    a marshall
    etc
    etc

TONZ FOR DAYZ:agree

18. treeofpain

treeofpain Supporting Member

It depends on if you are getting them simply as tools or for additional reasons as well (fun, collecting, whatever). I prefer a variety of guitars, but some guys like a specific instrument and prefer to have a variety of that particular setup. No problem...

19. snakestretcher

snakestretcher Member

I have the three Teles below. They're all different in feel and tone/pickups and I like a bit of variety. Nothing wrong in that. Then I see people with a hundred Les Pauls-now that's getting a little worrying, and the word 'obsessed' springs to mind...

20. russ

russ Supporting Member

I think (for me) it's because they are all different. No 2, ( or 10) Strats lps etc, are the same. They sound different and play differently, and mostly respond and react differently.
    I like the changes guitars went through during the years. Before the Internet, info was harder to come by. I had no idea what a orig. maple fingerboard felt like or how it compared to the rosewood board strat I had at the time. so I bought one. Then I bought another.Plus, I like guitars.

If you have a guitar, and think all models of that guitar will be the same.......