i'm nothing without my looper

Discussion in 'Effects, Pedals, Strings & Things' started by smitty.west, Mar 28, 2015.

1. smitty.west

smitty.west Senior Member

i've been playing- and buying/trying gear- for the better part of 15 years.
    loopers were something i was introduced to about five years into my stint as a guitarist- so 10 years ago. ever since that moment, i couldn't be without one. i'd go so far as to say that i stopped developing as a guitarist, but began excelling at song-writing/music-creation. i was at a level, as a guitarist, where i was "good enough"-- but still vastly lacking-- and thought i'd rather start making music with my given skill set than trying to gain speed, learn new licks and tricks; i just didn't care for the showmanship of guitar playing anymore and wanted to focus on music-creation (which yes, requires a certain level of technicality and finesse, but you can do without knowing everything). loopers opened doors for me, creatively, so much more than i ever could of imagined. i'll go on record and say that i'm nothing without my looper(s). i've never been a flashy player, but rather someone who was always endlessly full of ideas- chords, melodies, etc.-; the looper became invaluable tool in helping manage and develop said ideas. my reason for making this thread wasn't so much to sing the praise of loopers, but after taking one off my board for a day, realizing how invaluable a tool it is. it felt foreign to me not being able to start jotting down (and subsequently, developing) ideas as soon as i hit the standby switch on my amp. i felt bare without my looper on the board. i'm at a point now where i want to start learning theory and developing as a player again, but wouldn't change a thing in my development as a musician/song-writer as guided by the looper.

anyone else feel the same?

2. splatt

splatt david torn / splattercell Gold Supporting Member

well, i haven't done a gig, a recording session or a film-score without my loopers since sometime in the early 1980's..... that's a lot of playing.

my solution is to practise the guitar for what it is, as much as i can, including working on mechanical tone production:
    without loopers, without my normal complex set-up.
    acoustically, and with a simplified electric rig: no effect at all, or just a reverb, except when i'm actually practising with fuzz.

and, i also practise with everything, loopers included.

works for me!

3. mousepunk

mousepunk Member

I always wanted to try using the looper in my band, but the only looper which i found friendly for use in live situation with the band and in the same time without complexity is the looper algorithm from Eventide H9. If there was a dedicated looper with adjustable BPM and ability to set the exact length of the loop so you don't need to stop the recording i would buy it with no doubt. I don't understand why other loopers can't do that. So now i am considering to buy another H9 just for looping.

4. Peeb

Peeb Member

Frustrated with the state of the art for loopers as well.

Enjoyed splatt's thread about loopers, btw.

5. dirk_benedict

dirk_benedict Supporting Member

I rarely plug in without a looper. Essential for me.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

6. Rogan1990

Rogan1990 Member

My younger cousin is like this, he plays shows where he uses a looper live (ala Ed Sheeran) and comes up with some interesting stuff, but when we jam together, he doesn't know Major/Minor differences or any scales or theory at all, so it's pretty frustrating.

I use a looper most of the time when I practice, but if I get the chance to play with a band, I try to resist using it, and rely solely on my own skill. If the mix gets a little thin, throw some slapback delay in there and I'm content.

I think loopers are awesome, but I'd be cautious of overuse, and limiting yourself as a guitarist. You don't want to be out somewhere, grab an acoustic and be embarassed because you cant perform your own music (without a looper)

7. moemoe6434

moemoe6434 Member

K
    You are inferring that a looper is somehow a crutch and I don't understand the reasoning at all.

8. JJ Fux

JJ Fux Member

Well, he was being cautious about overusing a looper. I guess, if you base the whole song around a looper or get used to filling the "gap" in your playing with usage of a looper, you will end up relying on it all the time.

:dunno

9. Digitalman

Digitalman Member

I love looping, but 50% of my playing time is unplugged on the sofa. That's where most of the licks come from anyway.

10. edwarddavis

edwarddavis Supporting Member

Everybody should have one I love them , have way to many .
    They all do different thing so I ended up with a bunch, and oddly still want to try others
    Honestly I wish they made the akai headrush with a longer time . It's such a fast looper when deleting something but no undo feature as well. But if it had better sound quality and longer time it would be even better but really a great pedal to practice with plus it's a delay.

11. ObsessedGuitarist

ObsessedGuitarist Member

Another can't live without my looper player here. It is great for so many reasons and it is my main songwriting tool. Great for developing bass lines and mixing short riffs with percussion and rhythm. I've been using the Jamman Stereo for years now and it just might be the most important pedal I own.

12. tremolo3

tremolo3 Member

quick question: infinity looper or boomerang iii?

don't explain why, just choose 1.

13. smitty.west

smitty.west Senior Member

boomerang iii, hands down.

14. la noise

la noise Supporting Member

Infinity. The 'Rang III crunched up/tight layout and funky swtches
    are a far cry from the layout of the original Rang and Rang +.

15. la noise

la noise Supporting Member

Infinity Remote Switch to access deeper features = $49.

Boomerang Sidecar to do the same with the Rang III = $200+

:D

16. slybird

slybird Member

Never used a looper. A little curiosity got me searching for software loopers. Found too many, many free. I have Linux, Windows, and Macs. I have no platform limitations. What free software loopers do you people recommend?

Choices I'm willing to try include Mobius, Livid Looper, Sooper Looper, Elottronix XL (Frippertronics emulator), Loopy Llama, Ambiloop, and Angstrolooper.

If anyone has experience with the above list please let us know.