I'm on a roll...(Dr Z content of course)

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs' started by Madison, Apr 21, 2005.

1. Madison

Madison Supporting Member

A month ago or less I was on a Z high, having the newly tweaked Ghia sitting on the 4x10 doing some amazing things...things not experienced or felt in 25 years of playing guitar, and was here writing about it.

And then I mentioned I had a Z28 on order, was trading in the Jr and Sr and doing a complete turnaround ampwise although staying in the Z camp. Somebody here (Big Mike, G'Peach, not sure) wrote 'if you like the Ghia, just wait until you crank the 28!"

So I've spent the last 4 nights doing just that, through the RC & AC Booster, into the V30 loaded open back cabinet...and I have acheived yet a new high on my ever challenging road to tonal bliss!:D The 22 watts appears to be at just the right power level for what I'm doing, that is playing small 150 seat clubs for the most part. It loves pedals more than any amp I've had the pleasure of owning, and is flat out righteous with the volume at 3:00, bass 1:00, treble 3:00, and RC gain at noon!

Throughout all of this mayhem the amp still has beautiful sparkle and clarity present in the high notes, along with a surprisingly strong bottom. True to the Z design it's just a roll back on the guitar volume knob to bring everything back into "Easyville" once again, just the way it should be.

Okay I'm done, that's all...enough gushing for a few days!

Z28

:dude

2. The Whiz

The Whiz Member

I've got one of them. Yeah, it's ok.

:dude

3. big mike

big mike Moderator - EL34 Emeritas Staff Member

<cough...clear throat>

TOLD YOU SO!!!!!

:D:D:D

Glad you're digging it. I love the Ghia, but the Z28 is magic.

4. tuna

tuna Member

Bill, I told you the Z-28 was a great sounding amp. Talk to Big Mike about a PI tube change. Not sure what he does, but more than one person has tried it and like it. He is the man on this amp!

Come on Mike preach some on this amp!! :D

5. big mike

GT12ax7M for earliier breakup.

Thanks bro.

6. Madison

Thanks guys, I'll give it a try:)

7. mrfjones

mrfjones Member

i liked that gt12ax7m in my rt 66 also. nice sounding tube.

one of these days once i get my guitar collection back up where i want it i will work on getting a z28 to add to my rt 66. I am glad you like yours.

8. The Whiz

The Whiz Member

I was REALLY into the 12ax7 pi in my Z28 for quite sometime, but I've recently gone back to the stock GE 5751. It's a bit more open sounding and cleaner, less upper mids too. Running the Z28 for a dirty clean/mild overdrive into a pair of alnico blue dogs in an open back cab is heaven right now. Thick, sparkly and swirly. I'm very happy with this set up.

taco

9. myles111

myles111 Member

10. big mike

Yeah, it's great both ways! I've been tempted to grab another and run it that way through more efficient speakers for Cleans or a cleaner Edge of dirt thing than 12AX7 and Greenbacks.

Going to get a hold of some other EF86's to play with in the front end, but the stock Winged C has been great. Haven't touched it, or the power or recto tubes. I tend to change cabinets for different tones if needed. (Rarely).

11. Madison

I had Z put a "select" Dario miniwatt EF86 in...sounds great, but of course I can't compare to anything else. I just have to go on the assumption that it's a tonal upgrade.

12. myles111

myles111 Member

It is not just a "tonal" upgrade ... it is a total upgrade.

The Dario will last a decade .... the new EF86's last about 10-15 turn on and cool down cycles before going microphonic ... and they do not do the amp justice although the Z amps are one of the few EF86 amps that can make a new EF86 sound pretty darn good.

13. big mike

INteresting. I've heard of the GEC's in there, a friend is trying to get a hold of a few "pulls" for me, so I'll see what they are. Mentioned Mullard maybe.

14. Madison

Darn typos! :D

15. rpavich

rpavich Member

I just bought a Z28 head and I'm loving this thread! I also bought a Dario Miniwatt EF86 and I just bought a GT12AX7M for P1....great to hear that these were good choices!:dude

16. riffmeister

riffmeister Gold Supporting Member

THe Z28 is a cool amp! I've owned a Maz 18 and Z28. While both were good amps, I like the more raw, open sound of the Z28 better. And it did a Vulcan Mind Meld with my FD2 pedal.

17. rpavich

rpavich Member

I've been inspired by Big Mike and his combo of Ghia and Z28...I'd like a Ghia now....

Can anyone help me for about 650.00?

bob

18. big mike

They turn up in the emporium for that from time to time.

It's a great pair of amps to own.

I use the Dario in the EF86 now, and it's great with the Z28, but I went back to a 5751 for more headroom in the PI. (JAN w/ balanced triodes)

19. rpavich

rpavich Member

Big Mike,
    I just ordered a biasrite for my Z28. I got the 2 hookup one with the V1 option...

Have you used this?

Anyone had experience?

Bob

20. rpavich

rpavich Member

Ok, Here is the report....

After playing my new Z28 here is my impression:

Stock Winged C tube was good.
    Dario Miniwatt was more open; very nice.
    12ax7 in pi position wasn't as nice as stock 5751 jan; it was "darker?" I like the spankiness of the 5751.

I was very impressed with this amps ability to change character with knob twisting...amazing...I can't wait to crank it hard...it loved my AC booster and RC booster...

I'm liking the character of this amp better than my MAZ..it's more "fenderlike" for lack of a better word...it works well with my cheapo strat..I haven't tried it with my Af-120 semi-hollow.

Mike Zaite said that putting a 5Y3 recto tube would make it more flabby; I don't like flabby low end...does anyone have experience with this tube in this amp?

I'm really jonsing for a Ghia to round out the collection; then I'll have my tonal bases covered.

bob