I'm on a roll...(Dr Z content of course)

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs' started by Madison, Apr 21, 2005.

1. The Whiz

The Whiz Member

I think you'll like it a lot. I sometimes pair a G12H30 with a 30 watt alnico blue dog in my 2x12 cab and they sound very nice together. But the G12H dominates a bit as it's more efficient than the 30 watt blue dog (but the blue dog has more mids so it works well). I think you'll find the 15 watt even better.

taco

2. myles111

myles111 Member

Peach,

I find the Ghia and Z-28 with an A/B switch one of the great "channel switching" rigs of all time. I have no trouble with balance live .... run the Ghia at 10-11 o'clock and the Z-28 at 2:00-3:00 with the tone controls at about 11:00 (a lot of clean headroom that way on the Z-28). This is for club use where things are not mic'd.

For larger venues where things are mic'd it's a piece of cake as each amp runs to it's own channel and with tens of thousands of watts of house power behind you even the Ghia set below 9:00 can be a giant clean amp when run thorugh the house system. Set either amp any way you like it.

3. G'OlPeachPhan

G'OlPeachPhan Supporting Member

good info myles - thank you!

papa taco -
    cool. that really pumps me up about this combo.

it'll be the weber 15 watt (conservative rating I've heard) light doped alinico blue dog wired in parallel with the scumback to make a 30 watt cab, which should be the perfect power rating for maximum safe speaker interaction with the dual EL84 Ghia.

I've got both the 55hz scumback and the 75hz scumback to try with the blue dog, so it'll be interesting to see which pairing sounds better to my ears.

4. myles111

myles111 Member

Peach and Taco .... just a quick "hello"

5. G'OlPeachPhan

Right on Myles! Hello right back at you! What's new?

As an on-topic aside, my other personal experiments elsewhere in Z land didn't go quite as well as yours Madison. The KT-45 was just too much amp, but the positive is it made me realize my Ghia is JUST right.

6. The Whiz

The Whiz Member

hi

7. Madison

Madison Supporting Member

The 1x12 works fine for me too. Earlier today I emailed Ted and ordered an AlNiCO Blue Dog 50w to use mainly with the RxES. I have a Swamp Thang in now that I ABSOLUTELY LOVE...the Blue has its work cut out when it shows up!

Peach, good luck on selling your KT 45...remember, price is everything :D This business we're in, buying and selling all this gear, usually does not equate to good return on capital!

8. G'OlPeachPhan

I sold it man, and OUCH, did I take a hit. Went for $1,125 shipped insured. $57 on shipping, plus the paypal fees nailing me. Really hurts to buy new amps. I will not be doing that any more. Used amps for me from now on. It wasn't the sound, feel, or power level I was hoping for, and I lost money, so you're right -- negative ROC.

Still makes me appreciate what I love about my Ghia that much more though. Just guitar plugged into amp for a sweet sweet OD tone that just sings!

9. G'OlPeachPhan

Not trying to slag Z here either by the way. It wasn't his fault I bought a brand new amp without playing one first. I don't buy new cars any more for the same reasons. Even if I hang onto one for it's useful service life, the depreciation still keeps me awake at night knowing my shiny brand new car is plummeting in value while I lay restlessly in bed.

That said, taking a 35% loss on an amp that's absolutely brand new (4 months old) dead mint (never left my studio) is still tough to swallow. Somebody got a great amp at a great price, and for that I'm happy. OK, I'm done complaining. :eek:

10. Madison

Madison Supporting Member

I feel your pain. My 6 month old mint condition Maz Sr went for $1050.00, before shipping and packing...OUCH. A grand +- seems to be about the magic number on buying any used Dr Z amp, other than a used Ghia which can be had for 6- 7 bills. Not nearly as bad a hit when selling my 00 Maz Jr and 97 Ghia.

11. JES1680

JES1680 Silver Supporting Member

I hear ya, my 66 is in the emporium now at $1k and no takers. I bought it new about 4 months ago.:mad:

12. rpavich

rpavich Member

I'm in the losers club too....MAZ-18 bought new 6 months ago 1399.00 sold last week for 950 shipped....ouch....

bob:mad:

13. G'OlPeachPhan

I didn't figure I was the only one. That really sucks.

Why do the Z amps take an almost instant 30%+ hit on value? They seem so reasonably priced to begin with that I just assumed they'd hold their value a little better than some of the other boutique amps out there.

14. rpavich

rpavich Member

'Peachphan,
    I don't know about why the resale is like that...but I can say that I didn't get the Ghia for the 650.00 I had planned so SOMEONE is making a killing on Dr. Z amps when they sell them!

bob

15. G'OlPeachPhan

Yeah, and Ghia's seem to hold their value a little better. Heck, I paid $450 for mine (years ago), so I'd make money on it. Problem is it'd have to be pryed from my charleton hestonized cold dead hands. Don't get any ideas fellas ;)