I'm out of GAS! Help me!

Discussion in 'Effects, Pedals, Strings & Things' started by teddy boy, Jan 7, 2006.

1. teddy boy

teddy boy Member

Gentlemen,

I've had massive GAS for about a year now in which time I've accumulated a lot of gear. The GAS begun when my bands practice place was destroyed in a fire and only my Les Paul Standard and Z Vex Fuzz Factory survived. Not much to go on with, especially as the Z Vex had been in my cupboard for about a year, unused!

Now I own:

2003 Les Paul Standard
    2004 Rickenbacker 620/6
    2005 American Vintage '62 Reissue Stratocaster

Monster El Mariachi 15W class A amp (vox style)

Vox Clyde McCoy wah
    Roger Mayer Voodoo Vibe jr.
    Catalinabread Super Charged Overdrive
    Fulltone OCD
    Menatone Top boost in a Can
    D*A*M Meathead Deluxe
    Boss TU-2
    Electro-Harmonix Deluxe Memoryman
    Z-Vex Fuzz Factory

I've ordered, still waiting:
    TIMMY
    D*A*M Acetone Fuzzmaster replica
    PedalworX Cactus Crunch

I've traded:
    Menatone King of the Britains 6-knob
    Crowther Hotcake
    Vintage Rat
    Dunlop Crybaby

All in a year! By the beard of Zeus! Now I'm knackered! I also realised I need to concentrate on music if we're ever to record and release our next album.

My question is: Can you just run out of GAS all of a sudden?

I'm really surprised. I'm finding it really hard to get excited about any gear now. Been thinking about an SG, a Marshall 1974X and BJF pedals. Do I need them? Do I need any more gear?

Is this common?

Rock on guys! Let's get philosophical!

2. Scott Peterson

Scott Peterson Staff Member

In the end, I have come to feel that GAS is simply priorites in your life.

If you are doing okay and can focus on something like your tone, then you'll go nuts with GAS.

If you can't spend the time and money for any reason, GAS seems silly.

I have been on these boards long enough to know that they feed the hysteria that needs to help GAS happen; so hanging out on a board like this will only make GAS where there might not have been any GAS.

I don't think you run out of GAS all the sudden like you note, I do think it comes and goes in cycles depending on factors like noted earlier in my post.

I always pull the "need/want" card on myself these days - I *want* most everything. I *need* what I have. Keep focused on that and go out and make music.... GAS free.

If your gear fits your gig, you're all set. Shut up and play your guitar. :D

3. derek_32999

derek_32999 Member

OUTTA GAS???? RUN!!!!![​IMG]

4. ToneRanger

ToneRanger Member

GAS is a funny thing. I've noticed it sometimes disappears really fast...but always only to come back even stronger than the last time! That's how it's been with me always.

Also the object of GAS varies greatly. Now I've had severe GAS for guitars since the January of 2005, and it's been going on ever since. Before that I experienced no GAS for electric guitars for years. Amp GAS comes and goes all the time. Pedal GAS just started heavily in October I think. Before that I only experienced a short pedal GAS period in the spring of 2004. I had a bad experience in the 90's with maybe 20 Boss effect pedal board that turned me off pedals for a long time.. This sounds really stupid! :D

Anyway, before that the GAS was heavy on recording equipment. Microphones, preamps, different programs and stuff drove me nuts and I read Sound On Sound all the time..

Sometime I have GAS for clothes, other technology, if I had enough money I bet I'd have GAS for cars. No I have a GAS for a new record contract for the band!

5. aleclee

aleclee TGP Tech Wrangler Staff Member

I'm another one whose GAS ebbs and flows. In my case, it's all about what's missing from my rig/harem. When I'm completely satisfied with my rig, I don't have GAS. At the moment, I'd like another big-sounding 2x12 (the one I have is in our rehearsal space), another guitar with a rosewoody unfinished neck, and a chunky-sounding non-trem guitar. As a result, I have an Ear Candy Buzz Bomb, another Driskill, and a PRS Singlecut on order.

I doubt I'll be GASsing for anything for at least a couple weeks, when I spend a few days at NAMM. :p

6. danny60

danny60 Member

I started collecting guitar mags,then cheap pedals,then Charvel guitars.........

7. gururyan

gururyan Member

Time to start on your mic locker, that's a whole new level of GAS just waiting for you.

8. ToneRanger

ToneRanger Member

My GAS does not seem to have any relation with my needs. Of course the GAS is stronger when I really NEED something, but right now I'm GASsing for another electric guitar even though I feel I'm not giving enough love for the other ones! I'd also want a Martin D28 along with my Gibson acoustic even though the 'bird is guitar enough for me forever...

9. teddy boy

teddy boy Member

Cheers guys,

Yep, it comes and goes! I haven't had pedal gas since about 2000. Then it was for vintage E-H pedals. They didn't all sound that good byt I had to get them whenever I saw one. Then I think I gradually started losing interest in guitar playing completely, going up to the phase where I did gigs with the band without playing the guitar. Just singing (being the lead vocalist). Then I bought the Les Paul Standard all of a sudden, just like that without hesitation, and found myself playing guitar again. Must of been a primal burst of GAS.

This time around pedal GAS made me lose focus on music completely. Now I'm glad we got a few tunes finished yesterday:dude

Ok, let's not forget what pedals are for! Making music!

P.S. I think I forgot the Rocktron Banshee and the E-H Polychorus from my list.

10. playon

playon Supporting Member

Oh man, don't go there!!! Or, how about mic pres...

11. drolling

drolling Member

Only 3 guitars + 1 amp and you're outa gas? My prescription is more TGP. All those hours you're wasting making music? Put them to a more constructive use by spending them in the gear section, reading and re-reading every post. Make a list of all the waiting lists, then get your name on all of them.

Seriously tho', a few months on this forum has given me more gas than 30 years of reading advertisement packed guitar magazines ever did.

And the real sad part is that every piece of gear I've acquired has been so good, every experience so positive, that I've been unable to work up an ounce of bitterness or discouragement.

But I do agree w/posters who've suggested that it comes in waves & cycles. For the last few years, I'd devoted myself exclusively to acoustic playing, buying only strings and the occasional pick - so the pressure had probably been building up somewhere deep inside.

In the meantime, enjoy the excellent gear you've already got. I have to go wait for the mailman. There's a package that was supposed to be here on friday...

12. Moe45673

Moe45673 Member

I love my rig. Surprisingly enough, for my main sound I use:

Gibson Les Paul Studio (early 90s model)
    Diamond compressor
    Eq pedal
    Marshall AVT275 (on clean, I use pedals for dirt. However, I am clean most of the time)

Yet somehow, I get beautiful singing tone out of it. The other band that we played with at the gig last night couldn't stop talkin about my tone (and they have 2 guitarists to my bands 1 [me])! I had GAS for a JC-120 but I sometimes stop and think "but I am already getting great sound, what do I need to risk going with a Roland or even a Fender Twin for?" So in short, I've saved myself about 1500 bucks thanks to a male's greatest weapon: logic.

Same thing goes for my pedalboard. I have practically every sound I need and only one empty space on the board. I'm thinkin of going with a tremolo, but hell, keeping it open just refuels the possibilities. What if one day my band makes up a song that inspiration tells me needs an envelope filter or a flanger?

After reading kewlpacks awesome page (www.thestompbox.net), though, I have GAS for something like a keyboard amp, to use my bass podxt live into! And mayhap after I get that, I'll have GAS for a regular podxt live or other MFX for guitar, which the amp will double just as well for! Ugh, and I haven't even finished paying off the Bass podxt live