I'm over tuners taking up space on my board

G34RSLU7

headstock tuners are great.

also buy a guitar that doesn't go out of tune, i recommend a floyd, tune once before the gig and forget about it.

I don't understand why anyone would use a guitar without a locking bridge and nut, you're just asking for tuning instability.

Revelation

My Boss Waza tuner is also a bypass switch. So I can switch guitars and plug the cable into it in silence

JLo618

Silver Supporting Member
I traded for an Ernie Ball Volume/ Tuner pedal. Got a great deal. Totally worth it. It’s got a great buffer and serves two purposes.

Reactions: NSW

vintage66

Boss tuner can power a few of my pedals and I don’t have enough outlets on my power supply so it’s not going anywhere. Also-muting function and looks better, outside noise not a factor. I use headstock tuners at home when not plugged into the board.

Gila_Crisis

Since I use Zoom Multistomp and/or HX Stomp on my board, I no more have a dedicated pedal tuner, since these both feature a build in tuner!
I just keep a clip tuner in my guitar bag, just in case.

Last edited:

jimijimmyjeffy

I don’t think so . I understand what you’re thinking but being in tune is too important not to be so it really should be the starting point of a pedalboard . If space is a problem get a bigger board or a looper and have some pedals underneath .
Not to mention , headstock tuners are a uncool look .
With all due respect, someone on TGP telling me that my clip on tuner looks uncool is easily enough to guarantee that I will always use one going forward. Nothing personal. I throw up in my mouth a little whenever TGP tells me what to do based on looking cool, professional or corporate. TGP has also guaranteed I will never wear sunglasses on stage, unless to protect my vision if I get an eye disease. Although I don't count you personally as at all superficial based your posts, the superficiality here can be such a giant turn off if I'm already feeling disillusioned or down about anything.

I love the clip on tuners. They are cheap, easy, and take no pedalboard space. I would never have a pedal tuner. But I'm lucky enough to have halfway decent pitch -- so even having to use the restroom to tune never bothered me. Once I get in tune at the beginning of a set, I can make minor adjustments on the fly.

My bandmate has better pitch than I, legit perfect pitch, a walking tuning fork, a savant. I feel bad for him because he can't enjoy playing a bit flat or sharp, even just the two of us in the woods. So I guess he taught me what I can get away with and not. If he doesn't kill me for being out of tune nobody else will either. If I was using whammy dives with a bad whammy bar all the time, then yes, I might have to retune twice a song. If that were true, I guess I'd have to relent.

jlagrassa

Silver Supporting Member
Go for it its worth a shot to see if you like that type of tuner, I went that route a couple years ago and like it just fine.

NSW

Silver Supporting Member
I traded for an Ernie Ball Volume/ Tuner pedal. Got a great deal. Totally worth it. It’s got a great buffer and serves two purposes.
These look great, I love my EBVP, adding a tuner is a brilliant space saver. I’ll have to upgrade at some point...

ikan

Currently my band pays tribute to Soundgarden by covering their songs. Those who are familiar with Soundgarden songs would know that guitar tunings for their songs are alternatively alternate. So far we have practiced 16 songs with at least 6 different tunings.

Headstock tuner does the job for me.

skiltrip

Silver Supporting Member
I think I keep my Boss tuner on my board for the buffer as much as I do the tuning.

Actually not even sure if I need it with my current setup, but at one point, my tone was really dark. When I put the TU-2 first it brightened it back up and it's been there ever since.

JLo618

Silver Supporting Member
These look great, I love my EBVP, adding a tuner is a brilliant space saver. I’ll have to upgrade at some point...
Definitely worth it! Big bright led screen for silent tuning, and it also tells you your volume level 1-10 so if you want to hit a specific volume you can refer to those on the screen.

Reactions: NSW

JimHalinda

When switching guitars onstage, I don’t want to have to fumble with moving a clip on tuner also, having a tuner on the board is one less thing for me to have to worry about.

Digitalshrub

It’s possible to be “worried” about several things without any of them being the #1 priority.
It’s also possible to worry about stuff that matters, and not what people think of you for using a clip-on tuner.

There’s some hefty disdain on here for people who don’t want tuners taking up board space. But nobody on this thread said that that means they don’t want to use a tuner in any form, though.

Plenty of pros use clip-ons. If it gets the job done in an efficient way, it’s valid. I use a mix of pedals and my Peterson clip-on, but it’s tough to beat the versatility of the Peterson as somebody who plays acoustic instruments as often as electric ones.

You can play all sorts of mind games with yourself about how your gear looks to other people. “They might judge the name on the headstock” isn’t too far from “they might judge my clip-on tuner.” Not to burst your bubble, but they might judge your shell-pink Duo Sonic, too. Who cares? Play the gig (assuming any of us is lucky enough to have a gig these days). Doesn’t matter if you prefer operating a tuning pedal, a clip-on tuner, a rack unit, or some other method. What’s most important is the function of a piece of gear and if it jibes with how you like to do things.

coltonius

Señor Member
Ugh, I'm over having brakes on my car. They weigh down the axle and look ugly through the wheels! It's not a problem when I go out driving; I just disregard posted STOP signs and red lights, AND my driveway has enough of an incline that I can coast into the garage and gentle tap the work bench before coming to a complete stop.

Trending Topics