I'm planning on taking the jump, and putting the down payment on a Larry Grohmann build.

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs' started by Daniel Travis, Apr 16, 2019.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. rstites

rstites Member

I was thinking that too, especially given the 9XX names for other models which sound very Porsche-like.....kinda of a German-sounding thing to my American ears to label everything with straight-forward numbers. :)

RockBlocker likes this.
  2. tonemeister20

tonemeister20 Member

Buy insurance in case the builder does not perform. The company below has offices in Germany. If you still feel the need to buy an amp then at least protect yourself.

If you are dropping 4 to 5 grand on an amp I would buy a ticket to Germany to make sure everything is on the level. From Priceline Seattle to Germany in March is around 900 dollars. Get a signed contract with a specific delivery date.

https://www.priceline.com/m/fly/sea...te-search=false&search-type=1111&num-adults=1

Looks like a great town. Novosibir misspelled his home town of Nuremberg on his avatar

https://www.hotels.com/go/germany/things-to-do-nuremberg

International Contract Frustration Insurance

http://www.markelinternational.com/...ise/Extra/Cover-stories/Contract-Frustration/

Last edited: Feb 9, 2020
    maddnotez, mAx___ and Axe-Man like this.
  3. Raghoister

Raghoister Member

It's called Nürnberg, actually. The way he wrote it, is just to help foreigners with the special german letter. And the way you wrote it, is an english adaptation of the name.

maddnotez likes this.
  4. Jelle

Jelle Member

I have no horse in this race, but replacing diacritics this way is widely accepted. So ue for u + umlaut is very common for German and it prevents errors with character encodings.

5. thegame

thegame Member

To provide the eye in this hurricane, here's a good sounding Larry clip:

I think its a Larry modded Marshall with mostly Marshall parts remaining inside.

ericb and Machew like this.
  6. Raghoister

Raghoister Member

You really need to take a deep breath.

7. spawnofthesith

spawnofthesith Member

8. twoheadedboy

twoheadedboy Member

Sounds like you're trying very hard to convince yourself that this is a good idea.

9. rstites

rstites Member

FWIW, in English we generally just drop the umlaut rather than adding additional letters. I'd read his location and assumed it was some small town I'd never heard of, rather than a city that's pretty well known.

Because we have multiple pronunciations of all vowels that aren't indicated by spelling (and vary by region), we just drop all of those various emphasizing marks from other languages when we translate them.

However, given the link of umlauts to everything heavy metal in English, he should probably just put one on the amp somewhere....or lots of them! ;)

10. Mike Schram

Mike Schram Member

6k? No way... lots of other amps out there that you can have tomorrow, hell buy 2!

11. Ed DeGenaro

Ed DeGenaro Supporting Member

Seriously?! My legal last name has an umlaut and regardless if it has ü in my passport I've never had issues with any docs having either u or ue.

If I had to guess it's simply a typo...not like in a place where the majority use handles rather than their name that matters.
    And having English speakers argue over the spelling of Nemberch as it's locally pronounced is just priceless.
    And yes I would know, since I born there and spent my first 23 years there.

Sean Mac and vicdeluca71 like this.
  12. Ed DeGenaro

In general moving German names the ü becomes ue, but brevity allows for u.
    Just as the German ß kann be ss.

13. Ed DeGenaro

Around here? That's funny PRS J-Mod is $6k, Two Rock Sterling $6800, a Friedman, Bogner etc flagship all Clock in around 4k in the US, meaning at least 4500 here. Hell a Dumble ODS in 94 was 5k. And my XTC combo was 2500.

It's all relative.
    Would I spent 80k on a car? No way, but there are guys that think it's a necessity.

vicdeluca71, mAx___ and SBlue like this.
  14. SBlue

SBlue Supporting Member

Thanks for shipping the amp Larry!
    The amp is on its way to Nashville, and I’ll post an update when it arrives.
    Any local tgp member is welcome to stop by someday to try out, either the Dino or the British Purist, at my studio.

15. SBlue

SBlue Supporting Member

I could not agree more!

hstlaurent likes this.
  16. backdrifter

backdrifter Supporting Member

CONGRATS! Nothing better than an impending NAD, especially after a long wait. I hope it’s everything you wanted and more!

SBlue likes this.
  17. spawnofthesith

spawnofthesith Member

congrats! If nothing else maybe this thread was a needed jump start to get your amp finished :D

SBlue likes this.
  18. Ed DeGenaro

Congrats!

SBlue likes this.
  19. hstlaurent

hstlaurent Supporting Member

Awesome, you deserve it.

In Absentia and SBlue like this.
  20. Andor006

Andor006 Member

Dear All,

I read this topic more than one hour. The life sometime is difficult, and never know what will happened with You tomorrow.

I ordered my ROCK WIZARD amp by Larry in 2017. Before the placing of the order I made personal meeting at Larry in Nürnberg. He is really nice person, classic old school gentleman. Larry build the amps in his living room like a watchmaker with crazy precision. On the working table is only ONE amp in building progress, and Larry continually documented every parameters of electronic parts during the building. You can check the marks on the potmeters inside of Larry amps (green, yellow, red)..... This work is extreme time consuming, but the result is the most fine tuned amplifier possible.

About the deposits - Larry has the biggest (or one of the biggest) NOS tube collection in the Europe. He collect the tubes very long time, and this collection is better investment than gold, flats... If Larry want to finish the building of amps, and sell of his tube collection on the bay, from the money He can live as King in the next 30 Years.

So my amp is 2,5 Years on Larry waiting list, but the possibility of shipping delays was clear for my from the beginning of this project. The delays are happened at the most biggest companies. My custom shop Charvel strat was quoted with 18 month ETA, and at the end was delivered after 2,5 Years waiting. My second order was Jackson Custom Shop Materbult stratocaster with 24 month delivery, at the end I received the guitar after 3 Years waiting. Its wort it? For me Yes. The masterbuilder of my custom Jackson Stratocaster was Mike Shannon, and that guitar is resonant as hell, sounds incredible.

Sometimes the communication with Larry is not the fastest, or easy. He is working alone without assistants, and last Year Larry had healthy problems too.

My Rock Wizard is very near to realization, but waiting is not problem for me. Larry Amplification is a One Man Show with all pros an cons, but I am sure, Larry is correct man.

novosibir, Big'Uns, Dee S One and 7 others like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.