I'm real sorry if this is a dumb question, but...

Discussion in 'Luthier's Guitar & Bass Technical Discussion' started by BCRich86, Nov 28, 2005.

1. BCRich86

BCRich86 Member

I've heard from two different local, respected sound guys, that are on oppisite ends of the spectrum on how to wrap cables, one guy says circular, and the other says in halfs and then tie it in a loose knot in the middle.
    I haven't lost any sleep over the debate, but I figure alot of the people on this board are very knowledgeable and over my head on technical info and boutique stuff, so I figure I'd throw it out there and see what the result is....
    So how do you guys wrap up and the end of the night?

2. Chiba

Chiba Gold Supporting Member

Cheap cables - halves & then tie.

Expensive cables - circles & velco ties.

:D

--chiba

3. jreardon

jreardon Member

4. axpro

axpro Member

I figured for most of us it would be...

Some other *ssholes cables -halves & then tie.

MY cables -Circle+velcro strips.

My GOOD Cables.... Stay home.

:D :D
    Dave Mc

5. mccreadyisgod

mccreadyisgod Member

If you ALWAYS coil your cables in circles, and keep them neat, they'll last a lot longer. Also, as you continue to wrap your cables the same way, they will develop "memory", which means the jacket will become used to being wrapped the same way and will make coiling your cables easier over time.

Velcro or string ties are a great idea... for my cheap cables, I use a hitch (tying the cable to itself) but for my better cables, I either use a tie or just leave them untied rather than hitch them (a hitch can put unneccesary stress on the wire(s) and grounding braid inside the cable).

Of course, after a long gig, you just wanna pack your gear and sit at the bar for a drink before going home, and the halves-method is a lot faster and requires less concentration. But it's worth the extra time to wrap cables nicely, especially at $20-50 a pop (depending on type and quality).

I do admit to using halfsies on speaker cables a lot...

6. aleclee

aleclee TGP Tech Wrangler Staff Member

At 16 cents a pop (25/$3.99), a cable more that 12" long that's not worth a velcro tie likely isn't worth keeping.

7. Circles usually called over/under and cable ties. And a good cable will not retain any memory.