I'm really starting to hate either Digidesign or Apple

Discussion in 'Recording/Live Sound' started by eru, Jan 27, 2008.

1. eru

eru Member

I can get things working, but not everything at once.

Things have been sketchy since I upgraded from 10.4.8.

After finally taking a break from just guitar and school work, I got Pro Tools LE to install an start again (stability unknown) on 10.5.1.

After I did that, Ableton Live and Reason just randomly started failing to launch...they bounce in the dock indefinitely and don't start. Granted, I've only waited a few minutes for them to start, but if they don't start in 5 minutes, they might as well not start at all as far as I'm concerned.

It's sad, but the only times I'm actually happy with any computer is when I'm not using any recording/production software.

I've updated prebinding.
    I've repaired disk permissions.
    I've done everything I know to do, but as soon as Pro Tools gets installed, everything else stops working.

The only thing that makes my guitar rig (including everything) cost more than the software I've purchased is the attenuator.

I've spent more on DJ gear, but that stuff is just expensive, and it's not a wide margin.

And none of it works. This is pathetic.

2. Shawn S.

Shawn S. Member

I too have been frustrated by either. I later found out it was PT. I've switched to Logic. It's wonderful. And coincidentally works rather well on a mac :) Try it out, I think you'll like it. And I'm pretty sure it works seamlessly with Live and Reason with ReWire. I got so sick of PT LE, I don't remember what was the problem, but no one could help - Digidesign couldn't help!

3. eru

eru Member

Yeah. It looks like they haven't actually certified anything past 10.4.8. I'd assumed they'd made some progress in the better part of a year. No dice.

I'm currently making a redundant backup (beyond time machine) of critical data (school work, original writing, music, movies, etc.) and I'm going to wipe and reinstall everything.

Logic Studio is looking more appealing, but if I can get Ableton Live running well, I say screw it. I tried Logic Express next to Pro Tools LE (with a borrowed mbox 2), Digital Performer, etc. when I was last shopping for a DAW and Pro Tools won hands down as far as how easy it was to work in for me, but if installing it on an OS that's not almost a year old breaks every other piece of audio software I have on the computer, it's not worth it.

Anyone interested in buying an Mbox2 Mini factory bundle?

4. Shawn S.

Shawn S. Member

Put that bundle on the Bay, I got almost all my money back on it (less ~$30)

5. eru

eru Member

Heh. I run the uninstall scrip for Pro Tools and everything else starts launching.

I listed it on Facebook and will talk to Guitar Center about selling it back to them, but I keep getting screwed on eBay, so I'm hesitant to do that.

Looks like I'm going into RPM with Ableton + Reason and a bunch of plugins I need to reauthorize... not horrible, but I need to find my old RME interface...

6. Shawn S.

Shawn S. Member

Ah... dongles? I'm glad I just barely missed that junk. Good luck man. Ebay has really changed the past few months (this was about a year ago)... good idea. The good thing about almost every other software is that you can change your interface as you need it, and not locked into something...

7. kiko

kiko Member

Well PT 7.4 is not certified for leopard but i know there is a way to have it working check on the digi forum. I just switched from Nuendo/Cubase to PT and i just love it. The flexibility i have is amazing and not only that having the hardware and the software made by the same people will make it a lot stable. But hey thats just me.

8. GaryNattrass

GaryNattrass Member

PT 7.4 working fine on my leopard macbook pro with an 002 console and an m-box2.

Leopard wont work with 7.3 via firewire interfaces tho!

9. Tonealicious

Tonealicious Member

Hey 4 day old Macnewb here. I am about to get into audio interfaces. What is an 002 console, and what should I get in stead of an mbox mini, that I nearly bought today?