I'm shallow - are you?

Discussion in 'The Sound Hound Lounge' started by GAD, Feb 19, 2009.

1. GAD

GAD Wubbalubbadubdub Silver Supporting Member

I'm in the market for a guitar, and there are modern and vintage options.

Without being able to play them, I'm limited to how they look, and their condition.

I find myself more drawn to the modern pretty versions than I am to the vintage plain versions, even when in excellent condition. Doesn't hurt that the modern pretty ones are cheaper by about 1/2.

When I do find the rare pretty vintage guitar, it's of course even more expensive, and so far they've had issues.

I know there's the "I don't care how it looks so long as it plays/sounds well/good" camp, and I can appreciate that. I've played and owned vintage instruments and love them.

There's something to be said for buying a more modern instrument. Less possibility of problems than a 30-yo guitar for example.

So why am I drawn to the pretty modern over the plain vintage? Am I shallow? Is it human nature? Do I just want bragging rights? Am I just an idiot?

I come here for free psychiatric advice. Hook me up people! :)

GAD

2. elkym

elkym Member

In answer to all of your questions--I don't know.
    Guitars should look classy-- to me at least.
    Pedals on the other hand? I up for as crazy as they get-- Bright Colors all the way.
    And Amps can be tolexed in black, red, white, blue, green, orange, maroon, brown, blonde, tweed, and MAYBE purple (only if the guitarist can pull it off).

3. edgewound

edgewound Gold Supporting Member

It means that vintage guitar prices turn your stomach...

...so you're value oriented....which is just fine.

4. GAD

GAD Wubbalubbadubdub Silver Supporting Member

I don't mind paying for something that's worthwhile though!

GAD

5. The Captain

The Captain Supporting Member

Let me give some advice..............

FAshion is good for the soul !!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I only buy "pretty" guitars, in that I like the way they look. They must also pass inspection by the Minister for Fashion and Chocolate, being my wifelet.
    So far, it's been a good policy.

6. HHB

HHB Member

I value all the attributes prized by the superficial male!

7. GuitarsFromMars

GuitarsFromMars Member

8. shane88

shane88 Member

i'm anti pretty > my guitars have to look like junkyard dogs ;) but yes you are shallow

9. TNJ

TNJ Gold Supporting Member

I've been known to be appearance oriented. :D
    I love eye candy...but the ear candy factor has to be just as high.
    I'll try to post a pic of my current #1. An '08 PRS Custom 22 with a 10 top Cherry Sunburst pinstripe flame finish. And birds.
    I get a little tingle just looking at my beauty. Then I plug in and begin playing...and the excitement goes off the charts!
    Such a tonal beast...fat and throaty, with an overdriven growl that makes me weep.
    Sometimes you can have your cake AND wade in the baby pool!

S.
    j

10. Rumblefish

Rumblefish Silver Supporting Member

Uuh,I don't know.I'll consult my references and get back to you.

11. Carltone

Carltone Gold Supporting Member

I've played plenty of vintage guitars that were "dripping with soul and mojo" and guess what... I thought they sucked. They have no more mojo than the owner bestows upon them.
    I'll take custom made guitars, built to my specs, over something pulled off a wall any day. Doesn't make me shallow... makes me practical.
    I know what neck shape, pickups, neck radius, and finish I prefer. I also appreciate fine woodworking done by skilled craftsmen and fine works of art by talented painters and sculptors.
    I can combine several different passions in the commission of a custom instrument.

Music, Art, and Craft... y'know... the sh*t that makes it (the daily grind) all worthwhile...

12. dwes

dwes Member

Good for you, Bro!

13. Grun

Grun Member

Advice and/or guitars you typically get what you pay for.

14. bynt

bynt Member

Like what you like and appreciate it at the same time and you'll be a happy guitarist!!!

15. kurtsstuff

kurtsstuff Member

Most vintage stuff does suck but every now and then ya come across some that just sing but for the most part...it's just old crap..

16. mad dog

mad dog Silver Supporting Member

Shallow, deep, who cares? Just dive in and drown in gear lust like the rest of us!

17. MisterTV

MisterTV Supporting Member

Shallow? Nah. Everybody takes appearance into consideration. Those who say otherwise are being less than truthful. This goes both ways, too - a preference for new shiny guitars or beat-up road dogs is still making a choice based , in part, on looks. It's an extension of who you are.

Have you ever felt uncomfortable wearing a certain shirt, jacket or suit because it wasn't "you"? Same thing with guitars.

Personally, I've never felt "right" with brand new guitars. Something about the mystery of where a 30-year-old guitar has been over the years has always appealed to me. A new Strat that goes from a Mexican factory, to Guitar Center, to my basement? It doesn't inspire me. YMMV.

18. whitehall

whitehall Member

I too have always been as shallow as a petri dish. I'll take newer prettier any day. The few really old guitars I've had I always wound up selling off sooner because of the the way they looked to me. Sound ? hell, I know how to use a screwdriver and a soldering gun. I can make any of my guitars sound like anything I want.

19. Tone_Terrific

Tone_Terrific Member

Oh, oh...:worried

20. wsaraceni

wsaraceni Member

there are plenty of guitars out there that look good and sound good. don't settle for one or the other :D.

i am kinda stupid because i like things to match. when i got the red/black komet. i had to build a matching rack for it just because i dont like non-matching stuff.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v217/wsaraceni/IMG_2466.jpg