I'm shopping for my church Youth team.

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs' started by Songman, Dec 26, 2009.

1. Songman

Songman Member

So I am in the market for $750 and under amp. It can be used.

This is for the youth group at our church. They mainly play Modern Christian worship music. Hillsong, Brewster, Tomblin, etc.
    These members play in front of 30-50 other members and get pretty loud. However they can mic the amp so wattage isn't a big problem here. let's say in between 10-40 watts.

Criteria

-Tube
    -Under $750
    -Take pedals well (currently using couple overdrive, delay, chorus)

What would you recommend?

2. Pietro

Pietro 2-Voice Guitar Junkie and All-Around Awesome Guy

Fender Deluxe Reverb Reissue is very versatile and would probably make them happen. Also, although it can keep up with a band, it can't get so loud it hurts everybody, which is, in my experience, important in a situation like that.

3. Bo Faulkner

Bo Faulkner Member

4. melven62

melven62 Member

I think a Blues jr., AC15 (w/ bright cap and if you can a blue speaker), or night train come to mind. I use my blues jr. in a similar situation, it does very good but i'd like to upgrade to something like an ac15tbx or spitfire if possible.

5. funkmaster

funkmaster Member

ac15. Fantastic amp with some weber blue dogs

6. Songman

Songman Member

AC15? are we talking about those new PCB ones that are made in China?

7. enigma

enigma Supporting Member

Used Vox AC30CC 2x12

8. frankencat

frankencat Lex Luthier Gold Supporting Member

I have been through this a few times and I have a Crate Vintage Club 30 for sale in the emporium for $250 plus shipping for a good sounding, USA made all tube amp. Honestly though, I would take a good long look at a Line 6 amp for youth ministry stuff. I ended up buying 2 PV Valve Kings for our youth praise team and for what they use them for, if I had to do it again I would buy a couple of Line 6 Spiders or Flextones for them. They would get way more sounds out of them for a much better price and no maintenance. My 2c - fwiw I am the Worship Director at my church and I am responsible for this kind of stuff so I deal with it on a regular basis. PM me if you have any questions. -Frank

9. dramaticrunner

dramaticrunner Supporting Member

10. funkmaster

funkmaster Member

Wow, why don't you try to pick a good tube amp under 750 that doesn't use PCB? There are plenty of good amps using PCB and ones that are made in china. Not all of us can afford boutique /13's and Dr Z's.

11. Terry Hayes

Terry Hayes Member

I think the Vox or the Deluxe are both good suggestions. A very versatile amp that I used for many years is a Rivera R55. I used mine for a wide range of gigs including a 5 year stint as a church music director playing all kinds of praise and worship music including modern stuff. You can use a Fulldrive on the "clean" channel and cover all the tones needed.

12. Baloney

Baloney Senior Member

Id check out craigslist for good deals.

Used fenders are good.
    Used VOX will work.
    Carvin makes a decent tube amp in your price range
    Peavey classsic series are good for what yall do

13. bonchie123

bonchie123 Supporting Member

Fender or Peavy combos will work fine for church stuff like Hillsong. They take pedals well while giving you great cleans.

A used Hot Rod Deluxe or Peavy 30 will only cost you about half your budget.

14. Eliguitar

Eliguitar Member

Fender Blues Deluxe. Its loud and takes pedals extremely well.

15. puddinstone

puddinstone Member

I'd agree with a few others here... for the style- AC15 is the way to go.

16. andrewgreen

andrewgreen Member

i'm a worship leader myself and often lead as a rhythm electric guitarist. as a worship band leader, rhythm, and occasional lead guitarist, i would recommend:

fender blues junior
    fender hot rod deluxe
    vox ac15
    fender pro junior

i would consider ebay shopping so that you can spend a little more cash on amp "upgrades" like speakers, better tubes, and speaker cabinets (if you need it). you can always mic the amp if it is too loud (turn it down, then mic) or too quite (mic and turn the gain up on the board).

i would also consider the "tones" your guitarists are using. some guitarists do not realize that their tone is offensive (i have experienced this many of times). a tone can be too bright or too muddy. consider the amp with the tones used.

as far as a worship setting, having too much isn't necessarily the right way to go IMHO.

God bless y'all!

17. DICKIE C

DICKIE C Member

My first thought on reading this thread was the Hot rod deluxe, but I agree with this post. I am hesitant to recommend the HRD because I find the amp to be tonally lacking. It has a decent clean channel and with a good OD pedal could probably do OK. It's the overdrive on this amp that I did not like, whether on the OD channel or cranking up the clean side. Go used if you get one of these and you'll have enough left for other things.

18. Bo Faulkner

Bo Faulkner Member

My opinion of the HRD is every time I hear a guy using one in a live situation is they come across really harsh and blaring ... almost like they are too loud even if they aren't. For some reason those amps are real hard on my ears. I think they are voiced to sound fantastic sitting in the store

19. frankiestarr

frankiestarr Supporting Member

I would say Blues JR too...and a house Bad Monkey and a TUNER ! haha

20. candid_x

candid_x Supporting Member

Having been part of P&W groups in the past for 20 some odd years, any small 1x12 15-20 watt amp with a) good cleans b) reverb c) versatility, either with pedals or on-board fx, would do nicely. My favorite was a pastor's old practically unused bf Princeton (never forgot that sweetheart of an amp). I know, not a 1x12.

If I were to do that today, I'd have no qualms about using my SCXD. Can find them for under $300. I greatly prefer a 12" over the 10", so I put it in a Newell Cab. Total cost, around $550 with the 12" speaker of your choice. With the balance I could buy the guts of a second as a backup, just in case. Oh, it's got all the onboard fx and amp "voices" I'd need for any song or stage setting, no need to drag pedals around.