I'm sitting here laughing at how much you guys spend on pedals...

Discussion in 'Effects, Pedals, Strings & Things' started by RichardB, Jul 24, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. RichardB

RichardB Senior Member

And there is barely any audible difference between just about all of 'em. Here's 2 formulas:

The better a musician hears/plays (and btw the two are inseparable - the better a person plays, the better they hear), the less he/she ****'s around w/ gear.

The better a musician is, the easier it is to get a decent sound out of just about any piece of **** gear, which is exactly what makes the expensive gear purchases so amusing....

Last edited: Jul 24, 2011
  2. PerFusionist

PerFusionist Supporting Member

This man would disagree with you.

[​IMG]

flyingmusicman likes this.
  3. ccpa

ccpa Member

This should go over well...

4. PerFusionist

...and Nels would too...

[​IMG]

5. CharlyG

CharlyG Play It Forward

However Rory, Roy, Al, Jeff, and countless others would agree.

6. Axe-Man

Axe-Man Member

I get where you are coming from but I started with digital (M13, HD series PODs) and when I moved to decent quality analogue gear, I could easily hear the difference I was missing.

You also get alot more tonal EQ, transparency and dynamics with some decent pedals...also way less 'tone suck'.

Yeah I've spent more than a guitar and amp together but I'm actually pretty happy with my choice.

In fact I actually spend way more time playing and less time tweaking the cheaper digital gear as well.

7. Pedal Dan

Pedal Dan The Island of Misfit Pedals

Hey...it's only money.

8. RichardB

RichardB Senior Member

sorry, I'll fix the spelling error.

9. Skreddy

Skreddy Vendor

There's plenty of room on both sides of this debate. Many of my guitar heroes are absolutely crazy and demanding over their gear, and some great artists rather enjoy the vibe of what we'd generally consider less than adequate gear.

10. coot tone

coot tone Member

The guy has 1,364 posts on TGP and now he's Mr. Zen Guitar?

11. Matlock

Matlock Member

People purchasing musical equipment that inspires them and makes them happy, regular laugh riot I tell ya.

12. Badfrog

Badfrog Member

I would think the better you get the more you might tend to mess around with gear since you're better able to use or apply it (I'm talking about more than just OD pedals here).

13. CharlyG

CharlyG Play It Forward

The number of posts on TGP has no bearing whatsoever on the knowledge, talent, etc. of the poster.

Just sayin.....

14. coot tone

coot tone Member

it was a joke!

15. PerFusionist

...k :dunno

16. CharlyG

CharlyG Play It Forward

just naming a few guitarists with minimalist pedal boards, or none.

17. coot tone

coot tone Member

And I would like to point out that this is not called "The Knowledge and Talent Page". My participation proves so.

:sarcasm

18. CharlyG

CharlyG Play It Forward

What was the give away, the smile as you typed, the tone of voice in the typing, what? :rimshot

19. d.rhoads

d.rhoads Member

You are partly right. But here is what I have experienced. Many lay people don't think they can tell a difference, but they do subconsciously. It's when you pay meticulous attention to detail in your guitar tone that you start setting yourself apart from many guitarists who don't care too much about their tone. I mean, lay people can't even tell the difference most of the time between a crappy crate amp and a really nice tube amp. But does this mean that they are truly indifferent about it? Not at all. Many lay people can't even tell the difference between an out-of-tune guitar and an in-tune one. This doesn't at all make tuning your guitar obsolete.

And it's not just about getting "great tone" as it is about getting a tone you've been looking for. It's not just about your audience. It's about making you, the artist, happy, it's about what inspires you. And It's been more than obvious to me over the years that certain gear setups will just simply not allow you to play certain styles. People won't necessarily blame "your" guitar tone for why the song doesn't sound good, but they will think to themselves, jee, this band just doesn't pull it off and I can't figure out why.

Will great guitar tone be noticed more by trained ears? Of course it will. But it doesn't mean it doesn't make a difference. Yes, some people do spend a lot, some people do flip out over the most ridiculous things with tone. And I agree !100%! that practicing your instrument is really important, more important than guitar tone, usually. But it's a balance. I'd say a healthy balance is 70% practice and 30% tone.

I saw a guy the other day who was a fantastic guitarist, but he sounded very underwhelming, not just to me, but even the lay people around me. His gear really sucked, though. I know he could have benefited with some nicer gear.

20. denied

denied Member

Yes a good player can coax great music out of pretty much anything. But there is something to be said for quality, reliable gear.

That said, I crack up every day at the utter nonsensical comparisons, hairsplitting, and BS hype that TGP loves to dive into.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.