I'm sitting here laughing at how much you guys spend on pedals...

Discussion in 'Effects, Pedals, Strings & Things' started by RichardB, Jul 24, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. coralreefer

coralreefer Senior Member

2. zzzzzzz

zzzzzzz Supporting Member

3. crawz

crawz Member

I'm in accord with the above comment from NewarkWilder.

4. coralreefer

coralreefer Senior Member

but I just want to "sound" good...I don't want to play better...

money > hard work

5. buddachile

buddachile Member

I'll go further and say they (gear like amps and effects) are actually musical instruments. When I play a lead with my octane pedal, I play the octane, not just the guitar. A guitar amp isn't just an amplification device, it makes its own sound, and when I plug my guitar in I play the amp. I'll play different amps/effects differently making different music with it.

6. starfish

starfish Member

Life experience has taught me that people like the OP, who reduce the limitless combinations of complex human behavior to just 2 camps, discounting widely varied creative processes, painting such broad sweeping generalizations, drawing spurious conclusions, are anti-intellectual and seldom are accurate, if ever at all.

The anti-intecllectual simply doesn't know what he doesn't know.

7. GibsonLives

GibsonLives Member

There are two groups of people: those who put people into groups, and those who don't.
    Steve

8. evets618

evets618 Senior Member

If we were really smart, we'd all spend all that scratch on hair and makeup, because looks will get you a lot farther than fancy gear.
    Then, when you gots the dough, you can buy whatever gear you like. You can even pay your peeps to buy the gear for you.
    Hell, you won't even have to change your strings on the 600 geetars you own.
    Rats!
    I knew I was going about this the wrong way! :jo

9. Theroyalconsort

Theroyalconsort Member

how does such a booring troll get up to 49 posts?

10. grunge782

grunge782 Member

I'm of the opinion that you can make just about any pedal sound good for a certain song or style. I am somewhat picky about amps and a little bit about guitars, but for some reason any pedal you put in front of me I can find something useful out of it :idk:. I own both cheapo 10 dollar wacky fx and vintage 300 dollar drives both of which I can find sounds I really enjoy making. I guess as long as the pedal works, you are making sound and you can use different pedals through that same rig for other sounds. An amp for me can kill everything if it isn't good because you are ALWAYS playing through it. Just my 2 cents.

11. snouter

snouter Member

Feeding trolls is mildly entertaining I guess. :p Anyhow, since this thread is about pedals, FINALLY Musiciansfriend has apparently sent out the Fulltone '69 MKII I ordered over a month ago. And still no coupon from them per the sale! :cry: Anyhow, now the wait for the Fulltone Soul-Bender. :drool

The Gathering of the Vibes ended a few hours ago. The Rhythm Devils were awesome as they are in all their incarnations.

Now I am wondering about envelope filters (analog only though).

Vid of them from a few years ago. Can't imagine getting that sound manually with a wah.

12. DGTCrazy

DGTCrazy Mod Squad Staff Member

I buy pedals because it's fun, they inspire me to be more creative, they're collectable, and I can. I have friends who spend $50,000 on a boat, $20,000 for fishing gear, $30k-$40k on a vintage car....so it's all about what you're into.

13. CharlyG

CharlyG Play It Forward

To me it's the chicken and egg thing.

Did Satisfaction become a hit because of the fuzz, or would it still have been a hit with a different distortion and tone? I think we like certain tones because they were on our favorite hits, not because that tone MADE them hits.

Or not..........

14. shayneallen

shayneallen Member

I'll bite....

The problem is... after this...
    your condescending statement loses all merit, and you basically reveal yourself as tone deaf.
    GAS is a very real thing (I don't mean a good thing), and I am a total believer that a large part of a person's tone is in the hands, but this is just such an arrogant and rude statement that I actually prefer to think you are simply being a troll vs. actually being so narrow minded as to think you have arrived at such an enlightened place that you are fit to sit in judgement and self stated mockery over those who have different gear needs and/ or desires than yours.
    As a friend of mine always says... "Not everyone can hear the difference, but those who can... are willing to pay it." Guess maybe you just can't hear the difference...?.... so that's cool... you'll save some money. :aok

Oh.... and it's "Here are 2 formulas"
    If you're going to be laughing at us... you should at least do it behind correct grammar.....:)

15. Steven

Steven Member

I need lots of different sounds from my gear so that I can do lots of different gigs and sessions playing lots of different musical styles. I could not do it with just a guitar, a cable and an amp. I aint gonna happen.

16. RichardB

RichardB Senior Member

Ok guys, I've stopped laughing now. Thanks.

17. RichardB

RichardB Senior Member

Shouldn't it be "Here are 2 formulae"?

18. Balok

Balok Member

Your observation about the interconnection of hearing and playing is spot on. I have to to get tones I like from cheaper stuff, which can be done if you look around some, and do some simple mods or tweaks.

19. teleclem

teleclem Member

Defintely. Some of the sounds of these pedals are simply integral to some music. Sometimes, these sounds come with a price that's above average, at least. As an example, I don't think you'll be able to get El Capistan sounds and features out of a cheaper delay pedal.

20. gmann

gmann Member

EJ has been known to blow a few bucks on gear fm time to time!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.