I'm sitting here laughing at how much you guys spend on pedals...

Status
Not open for further replies.

mojotele65

I can't believe a troll post like this gets 5 pages. We don't go to the amp forum and say " why do you spend xxxxx on an amp"

If you don't like effects don't come to this corner of the forum.

100JH

And there is barely any audible difference between just about all of 'em. Here's 2 formulas:

The better a musician hears/plays (and btw the two are inseparable - the better a person plays, the better they hear), the less he/she ****'s around w/ gear.

The better a musician is, the easier it is to get a decent sound out of just about any piece of **** gear, which is exactly what makes the expensive gear purchases so amusing....
:barf

All vanilla...no chocolate, strawberry let alone mango-lime-dark rum gelato? Why should chefs break the mold? Why should painters try a new technique? Tell Hendrix, Van Gogh, DaVinci or Escoffier this. IMO I would rather push the edge then go with the flow. There are many styles and types of players. You have yours and others have theirs. Neither is right or wrong. IMO what I consider to be pretentious is the lack of an open mind.

Music is a higher revelation than all wisdom and philosophy.
- Beethoven

pothole

trollface.jpg

redbeardrob

yes. i great guitarist can do with crappy gear. but imagine how much better they would sound with fancy gear. you know? a car is meant to get you from one place to another quickly. any car will do. but we go in debt for fancy ones. same principle. it doesn't make me less of a driver if my car is utilitarian.

pakralj

I honestly think the right gear is essential sometimes. There would be no certain music without certain pedals, amps, guitars. Please examples: ... countless...

Jahn

Listens to Johnny Marr, plays like John Denver
Silver Supporting Member
i am being laughed at. i am sad.

Ron

Silver Supporting Member
And there is barely any audible difference between just about all of 'em. Here's 2 formulas:

The better a musician hears/plays (and btw the two are inseparable - the better a person plays, the better they hear), the less he/she ****'s around w/ gear.

The better a musician is, the easier it is to get a decent sound out of just about any piece of **** gear, which is exactly what makes the expensive gear purchases so amusing....
Well, you're half right, but you can score that well calling heads or tails. There are just too many "better musicians" who are equipment geeks (and sometimes well over the top, IMO) to make the first assertion true. The second statement is pretty obvious; what's not amusing is that good musicians have difficulty making a living and cannot afford expensive gear purchases anyway and sometimes have to make do with "any piece of **** gear."

I disagree that there is little audible difference between "just about any of them", but would assert that an audience couldn't care less about it, unless it's an audience of TGP forumites!

CharlyG

Play It Forward
Silver Supporting Member
If it was TGP forumites, we would need cameras on all equipment and big screens so we the audience, could keep an eye on them....you know, as to which ones are one when, etc.

macteacher

Silver Supporting Member
the more you paint, the larger and more refined you want your pallet to be....

or not...

up to the artist.

sanhozay

klon free since 2009
Gold Supporting Member
unless they are stand up comedians. Then you should.

true - but only when they are funny. like redd foxx said, "you got to wash your ass", now that's funny. this thread is ass, but not funny. go calculate that?

matthewh133

umad.jpg

surferfuzz

Dude you cracked the case!:horse

Laugh all you want, it is a free country, after all. Me? I'm enjoying spending my money as I see fit and that includes a whole lot of cool, boutique gear (pedals, amps, guitars, and so on). There's no wrong answer. To each his own, as the saying goes.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Top Bottom