I'm sooo mad at my mother!

Discussion in 'Member Video and Sound Clips' started by t0neg0d, Sep 25, 2005.

1. t0neg0d

t0neg0d Member

Na... not really. I am just tired of saying... "Instrumental" in the title.

Here is yet another thingy to check out. This one didn't hit me righ away... been workin' with it for a bit, because of this reason. But I am happy with the final tracks (especially the solo section) and the song has really grown on me. Not mixed as usual... (damn you, Deaj).

Um... Instrumental?

Cris

2. myles loud

myles loud Supporting Member

hey tone!!!!
    this one has a zep feel to it!!! very cool!!!!
    myles

3. AdamGian

AdamGian Member

4. headstack

headstack Member

Wow, really great playing!!!
    Definitely needs mixing and eq separation of the arrangement.
    The guitars and snare kind of step on each other and I wouldn't mind a slightly fuller tone on the leads.
    Can't wait to hear the finished product...
    That tune is going to get me a speeding ticket!:)

5. Weldaar

Weldaar Member

It's a cross between Vai and Blues Saraceno to me. But it has your own style too. Excellent playin'

BTW your Mom would be proud

6. jzguitar

jzguitar Member

Very cool! Do I hear some Greg Howe influence in there?

jz

7. t0neg0d

t0neg0d Member

Thanks for the positive feedback.

headstack - I don't know if you have listened to other clips I have done... but if you have... did you hear the same guitar/snare sonic space thingy happening? I usually spend at least a little bit attempting to get a rough mix... and on this I just dumped the raw tracks. If you hear it throughout... it will help to know, so when I do final mixes... I know what to watch out for.

Weldaar - I don't think I have ever heard Blues Saraceno play before... will have to check it out for sure!

jzguitar - You soooooooo nailed it on the head! I love old Howe... and no one is doing that kinda thing anymore... including Greg :( I dig his fusion stuff... but fusion is summed up unfortunately (for me anyways) by a single ascending run that sounds the same from ALL fusion players... if you play that run... your fusion.... if you don't... your not... and I think it is a waiste of Greg's talent. One of these days... I am gonna put a clip together of a bazillion fusion players (just that run) and see if ANYONE can actually tell who is playing what... my guess is... no one will be able to pick out one player from the next. Sad.

Me

-- EDIT --
    Introspection was his only fusion album I really dug... and Jump Start was probably the only song that stuck with me from the entire album.

8. Tag

Tag Gold Supporting Member

What is sad to me is rock players who play completely diatonically, in nothing but a minor or mixolidian tonality with no harmonic or melodic movement, (and 95% of that is based around pentatonic patterns,) with buzz like, highly compressed tones to hide that they are not playing anything musical........

If you think Al D, John Scofield, Mike Stern, and say Scott Henderson sound ANYTHING alike, never mind just playing the same ascending run, well...............

9. t0neg0d

t0neg0d Member

Tag... this isn't meant to be a slight against anyone. Fusion is an acquired taste. I would argue that album of instrumentalist who play rock far out-sell those of fusion players... because the masses understand...

more than they understand fusion.

And not to mention, the statement "they are not playing anything musical" is highly subjective, to say the least. But, if you feel that you have moved beyond this type of music and reached a plain the rest of us have failed to reach... why bother reading my lowly thread?

The statement "with buzz like, highly compressed tones". Um... what else can I say... tell this to Hedrix. I am sure he would have appreciated your input. Might have even set him straight.

I would also agrue the point that players like BB King, Albert King and more blues players than I have room to list here, never break out from "pentatonic patterns" and say more with their guitar then most players (including myself) will ever hope to.

As a side note... I wouldn't consider Al D fusion (as it is toted these days). He has his own thing going on.

-- EDIT --
    And to be fair... "If you think Al D, John Scofield, Mike Stern, and say Scott Henderson sound ANYTHING alike, never mind just playing the same ascending run, well..............."

I said nothing of the sort. I said that FUSION is summed up by a single ascending run... if you play it... your fusion... if you don't... your not. One of my fav players is on this board and plays... fusion. Scottl is simply bad ass... but I can only take fusion is small doses. For that matter, I can only take the instrumental stuff I have been working on lately... in small doses. Or any guitar centric music for that matter.

My statement about fusion was directed at Greg Howes choice of music now as apposed to what he used to play. I personally enjoyed his older material more than his new stuff... nothing more... nothing less.

Me again

10. unix-guy

unix-guy Member

The old "Howe II" stuff rocked - excellent Van Halen inspired rock! I saw them live in Oakland, CA back in the day. The drummer did THE BEST drum solo I have ever seen or heard. After his awsome full kit solo, he came to the front of the stage with a snare and high-hat and SLAYED! Greg's 1st intructional video was pretty good, too.

I think the early Ritchie Kotzen stuff was great too. "Electric Joy" was great and "Fever Dream" was too.

As for Saraceno, his 1st album "Never Look Back" is one of the best rock instrumentals of all time in my book... And he was 17!

I rate "Never Look Back" and "Electric Joy" right up there with Beck's "Guitar Shop", Satch's "Not of this Earth" (I have that on VINYL!) and "Surfing with the Alien", as well as Eric Johnson's "Ah Via Musicom"... Another favorite is Michael Lee Firkins' 1st disc - man I wore that one out :)

Kevin

11. headstack

headstack Member

Actually I have and Iwas re-listening to it late last night, like 5 am and thought, "gee, I dont hear it so much now" Then I realized I was listening to another piece of yours.
    It must have been the descending run that made me think it was the same tune!!:D
    Sometimes a track will sound like crap by itself but drop right in and sound great in the mix.
    I just hear a bit of cloudiness in the low mid and needs a bit of a hump in the upper mids on the guitars.
    Could be your monitors too or mine.
    I always used to fine tune my levels and eq on an Auratone in mono and checked it on the midfields as well as the soffits (read refrigerators!!:cool:) to see if it sounded scary powerful and with good separation.
    Your stuff is sounding great and I can't wait to get a CD so I can blow up a few crossovers!

12. Tag

13. t0neg0d

t0neg0d Member

Tag --

The best selling instrumental album of all times (not including classical music) was from the ventures... strangely enough... a rock band.

And Breezin is a jazz album, is it not?

As far as an example of that run... why go as far as one of those albums. We could pull it from a clip posted by a fusion player from the board here. Man... this is gettting a little rediculous. Rock music has the same thing going on... so does blues for that matter. It just so happens that the fusion of TODAY doesn't do it for me. Everyone builds off of a library of ideas that they know especially when improvising.

Your correct in saying Al is fusion in the sense that he is not akin to the fusion of today. Most every style of music is a fusion of other styles. But that doesn't mean it is classified as fusion.

Conversation has been a lot of fun (not really). But unless you are in this thread to "take the time" to listen to the clip I posted and post something relevant to that clip... can we take it to PM's if you feel the need to continue?

Thanks,

Me

14. duffyguitarman

duffyguitarman Member

Wow Cris, really nice playing, indeed the crunch gits could come down to let the solo git and rhythm tracks punch through better.
    This has gone somewhat off track from your music, but your fusion synopsis opened that door.
    Most of the runs I heard you(terrificly by the way) play, I have heard almost every rock shredder type guy do since 1988, much of the tone is always quite compressed and thinish. Could be defined by many as "buzzy distortion".(although I have heard Stern use the worst 'buzzy distoriton"in history, lol) While the technical aspects of this playing is really fantastic, it has personally always left me kind of cold to it. I think what Tag might be trying to to address in the fusion thing, is that they have much more advanced complexity in harmonic color, primarily because of the use of passing tones and superimposed scale harmony. Whether it be fusion or straight up jazz, that is the kind of stuff that hits my soul and I can hear a wide difference in implimentation of said harmonic concepts by various "fusion' guys. Not sure what cats you are talking about, but I could definatly tell the difference between Sco, Henderson, DiMiola, Holdsworth, Metheny, Gambale, Herring, Stern. Of course there are going to be many that imitate, absorb, utilize some of the same concepts,(I know I attempt to), just like in everything else.

At any rate, your stuff is terrific.

Peace,
    Duffy

15. t0neg0d

t0neg0d Member

I am with ya duffy... when you say:

Very true statement. Its my own take on something that I used to do in 1988 as well... just decided to start a project of this kinda stuff for fun.

Where I differ though is this:

It may be more advance complexity in harmonic color... but that doesn't mean that it is necissarily appealing. I think my biggest quam with fusion... is it has become a "heady" approach to something I consider to be an outlet for emotions that I am not sure what to do with.

Think about where jazz has come from... it was (like blues) not a white mans game... it wasn't "heady"... it was soulfull and dancable music. This is SOOOO not the case with todays fusion. You would be lucky to walk to the club door if you had to keep rythem with the music. This is my fundimental problem with where fusion has gone.

BTW... thanks for taking the time to listen and give feedback. I really do appreciate it!

-- EDIT --
    Sorry.. one more thing I meant to mention. When Jazz started... it was shunned because it was people rebelling against what was happening in music at it's time. Rock started from the same notion. As much as I don't necissarily dig the rock that is coming out these days... it at least is staying true to it's origins and continues to be a rebellion against what is considered proper, while still holding some dancable rythem.

16. t0neg0d

t0neg0d Member

Ahhhhhhh country - the other, other, other white music. Hiya, Chris!!

Ok... everyone have at me for tagging country :D Awsome influences for guitar btw.... and never listen to a stitch of it.

17. Tag

Cool! Great band. I know that Breezin is up there as well.

And Breezin is a jazz album, is it not?

To me, Breezin is a fusion album. No jazz on it that I can tell.

As far as an example of that run... why go as far as one of those albums. We could pull it from a clip posted by a fusion player from the board here.

Cool. Let me hear it.

Your correct in saying Al is fusion in the sense that he is not akin to the fusion of today. Most every style of music is a fusion of other styles. But that doesn't mean it is classified as fusion.

It sounds like you like Al. D, so are seperating him from other fusion players you do not like. Al has less jazz in him than many fusion players, but as far as I know, he is KNOWN as one of the premier fusion players. Personally, I love the guy.

Conversation has been a lot of fun (not really). But unless you are in this thread to "take the time" to listen to the clip I posted and post something relevant to that clip... can we take it to PM's if you feel the need to continue?

I listened to your clip. I hear it like Duffy.....

I am addressing a comment you made in your original post. You can PM me or email me if you want, but I would like to address your opinion of fusion right here in the open so all can see both sides of the argument. If you want to delete that opinion and take it to PM, I will delete my responses to it. My email is listed.

Thanks,

Me

18. t0neg0d

t0neg0d Member

I don't mind keeping the discussion here... but a similar one is already going in the sound hound lounge... Just thought it would be more appropriate to take it over to there so this clip doesn't keep getting pushed to the top when others have posted newer clips that deserver notice.

You are correct in saying I like Al D. I don't consider him fusion as it stands today is all... though he is a fusion player (or at least was considered one). I am not seperating him because I like what he has done... I listen to him as often as I listen to Gambale... which is almost never.

Me

19. tonefreak

tonefreak Member

I would agree with duffyguitarman's post. You're a fantastic player... I couldn't play like that. And it sounds like you're having fun!

But growing up listening to MacAlpine, Yngwie, Vinnie Moore, Chris Impellitary (sp?), etc. there are really no surprises here. I've listened to most of your posts and the runs and songs start sounding very similar to me... eventhough they may not be.

I understand this is all for fun and that's all that counts no matter what anyone says!

20. t0neg0d

t0neg0d Member

I agree with you, Tag and Duffy with the the fact that this stuff all starts to sound the same after a while... it does. I am as sick of this project as anyone could possibly be. I am just thankfull I only need to finish up one more track so I can be done with it.

My inititial comment was about where fusion is now and how I think that it is a waiste of Greg Howe's talent. He DID sound like his own player when he first came out... now he sounds like quite a few other people. I have no soul wrenching love for the music I am working on now (not saying I don't find it fun as hell... and dig listening back to it)... but I enjoy it more than where fusion has gone (at this particular moment).

Once I finish this project... I am back to writting the 60's/70's rock inspired music that I really do love. Or back to doing blues gigs (which is yet another type of music I have real passion for).

Interestingly enough... the rock guitar instrumental crap I am doing right now has a decent market for making money... not only is it's popularity taking a turn for the up and up... but it is the background music used on almost all sports and news programs on cable. And sinse music is nothing more than a hobby for me... it is nice to know, that with little effort I can get back to making some extra money with that hobby.

Me