I'm sorry but this might be the coolest pedal demo I have ever seen....

sputnikshell

The guitar playing in this video is fine and all, but I didn't care for the drum machine in the background. When I watch a pedal demo I don't want to hear anything else but guitar and pedal. The drum machine in the background takes away from appreciating the pedal being demo'd... Pedal demos don't need any kind a background accompaniment in my opinion. Unless they are trying to distract the viewer or compensate for something.

Ugly Bunny

I, too, fail to see what makes this such a great pedal demo; great click bait title though :)

I prefer any of Pete Thorn's videos - or any of Rob Chapman's. This ain't bad, but it's by FAR not the best.

I will say, it's nice to hear the pedal in full-band context - while sput may prefer JUST the guitar, I feel that makes the demo a bit disingenuous. I think a pedal needs the full track to show the viewer how it sits in the mix. That's why I love Pete Thorn... well, that, and his ambyopia :)

Just my opinion.

WorkinSteamin

Wow. I shouldn't have worn such a flimsy flame suit.

I thought it was generally accepted around here that Mike Hermans makes great YouTube pedal demos. His writing, playing, production are often lauded. Maybe I'm thinking of someone else.

Anyway, one of the reasons I like this demo is that he shows us what the pedal sounds like in a band mix, on different settings, solo, layered, different styles of music, etc.

I also like that after the produced material, he goes through different settings with one guitar just plugged into a clean amp giving me a real good idea of all the different sounds that can be made with the pedal. This goes on for at least five minutes, Gearmanndude-style.

But the real reason I think this pedal demo is so cool is because he is demoing a super-high-quality clone (it is ARC Effects after all) of one of the coolest pedals ever, the "Tall Font" Russian Big Muff--sound of The Black Keys.

Of course this is all just my opinion. These things are subjective dontcha know.

Carry on.

Last edited:

ChampReverb

Gold Supporting Member
Wow. I shouldn't have worn such a flimsy flame suit.

I thought it was generally accepted around here that Mike Hermans makes great YouTube pedal demos. His writing, playing, production are often lauded. Maybe I'm thinking of someone else.

Anyway, one of the reasons I like this demo is that he shows us what the pedal sounds like in a band mix, on different settings, solo, layered, different styles of music, etc.

I also like that after the produced material, he goes through different settings with one guitar just plugged into a clean amp giving me a real good idea of all the different sounds that can be made with the pedal. This goes on for at least five minutes, Gearmanndude-style.

But the real reason I think this pedal demo is so cool is because he is demoing a super-high-quality clone (it is ARC Effects after all) of one of the coolest pedals ever, the "Tall Font" Russian Big Muff--sound of The Black Keys.

Of course this is all just my opinion. These things are subjective dontcha know.

Carry on.
I generally like Mike Hermans' videos because he plays into a clean amp so I get a better indication of how the pedal will sound through my own rig. There's always a long section at the end where he twiddles the knobs with no backing track. Having said that, some (not all) of the music he creates is amazing for a pedal demo, more often with modulation pedals though. In addition, there have been many times that I've used his demos as guitar lessons.

-bEn r.

JJ Fux

I don't trust any review/demo videos involving fuzz pedals. Off-topic, but I came across a bunch of videos of random players doing a their own Rig Rundowns! ROFLMAO, man...

PerFusionist

Silver Supporting Member
Mike Hermans is a killer player.

I would, however, caution you not to use demos like this as proof that any given pedal will work in a band mix. Using a drum machine set low and having the backing guitar tracks drop in volume when a lead starts is not a good indication it'll cut when you click it on with a real drummer, bassist, rhythm guitarist, etc.

Not saying it won't, but this setup can be misleading.

Again, love MH's playing!

Devin

Low Voltage
The "pop into the chemist" guy is very good. The demo's are some of the best. Especially because he plays with just the pedal at the end. Not my taste though, the guy is a little too good. Its easy to zone out listening too it. There's little variation in phrasing and the chord progressions sound cookie cutter. Feels like autopilot.

WorkinSteamin

Hat tip Kit Rae...

"The Green Russian Big Muffs Pi's are the most common Sovtek BMPs to be found from the 1990s era. Also known as the Tall Font and Bubble Font Green Russians. The tank-like military appearance made these very mean looking pedals, and very desirable. They shipped in the same military style wood crate with Russian lettering as the Mike Matthews Red Army Overdrive, and previous Sovtek BMPs, though the box graphics changed sometime during the third edition run. These were made in St. Petersburg Russia.

Contrary to popular belief, these Russian BMPs were not made with spare tank parts, ammunition boxes, land mines (!), or any other junk-scrap military weapons. They were made in a former Russian military equipment factory operated by two Russian colonels."

mowatsmith

The guitar playing in this video is fine and all, but I didn't care for the drum machine in the background. When I watch a pedal demo I don't want to hear anything else but guitar and pedal. The drum machine in the background takes away from appreciating the pedal being demo'd... Pedal demos don't need any kind a background accompaniment in my opinion. Unless they are trying to distract the viewer or compensate for something.
So fast forward to the segment where it's just the pedal. Some people like to hear things in context, some don't.

his vibrato is to springy, soulfulness way to bluesy, and uses the same notes too many times.

I'm being facetious of course. Mike Hermans is awesome and I love his playing. I know everyone has their opinion, but it's just funny to me to see him get criticized.

Whether you like him or not, he gets great tones out of anything I've ever heard, and he always sounds like himself.