I'm starting to think that the used market isn't all that bad

dreamspace

It's just that all the good pieces get sold so f'ing fast.

The past months, I've had so ,so much nice gear slip right through my fingers - sometimes I've been literally seconds too slow. Just this week, here's some of the stuff

Charvel MIJ So-Cal with modern case, $300 - I sent a message 4 minutes after the guitar was listed, some guy beat me with 30 seconds

Marshall JCM800, $350

90s Les Paul Standard, $800

Made in USA Jackson Dinky, $550

A couple of Made in USA Fender Specials and Highway-1, in the $300-$500 range

From my experience, you can't even ask questions, because they'll get bought so damn fast. You almost need to buy first, ask later.

So, yes, while there are some lackluster prices out there - and probably listings that will sit around forever...you really need to be quick to get the good pieces. Preferably use some tool which picks up keywords and pushes out notifications.

Raymond Lin

There is a 594 in Brian’s Guitar with BRZ fretboard for $2500! If that’s in the UK I’d get it in a heartbeat but with $100 shipping and then 20% tax and the bad currency conversion atm I’m looking at £3000 !

dazco

I find deals too, but i am not seeing what u r which is to say, not many deals. The vast majority aree from high to ridiculous and often over the new price. But maybe once a week or 3 i see a great deal and yes, they get sold instantly. Saw a gibson J-15 the other day in CL for $850 and checked the price to see most go for an average of about $1300. It was gone in a couple hours. But deals like that are (at least here) a fraction of a percent.

chrisjnyc

Supporting Member
Plenty of "reasonable" priced used guitars out there. I think people thought that Covid-19 made everyone broke and would be fire sale of epic proportions.

chrisjnyc

Supporting Member
On a side note, why is it that Guitar Center consistently has some of the best prices on used gear? They dont know how to take pictures, but they always seem to have great prices on a lot of guitars.

Rod

Tone is Paramount
Silver Supporting Member
On a side note, why is it that Guitar Center consistently has some of the best prices on used gear? They dont know how to take pictures, but they always seem to have great prices on a lot of guitars.
Very true....

Fitzer

Supporting Member
When they’re cheap, the money talks. Don’t ask questions, just be the guy who can be there first with the money.

zeppelinpage4

I feel your pain...been looking for an original 80’s era Kramer Baretta that’s not overpriced. And finally today saw an original 1987 Kramer Baretta for $700 on Guitar Center used website. Literally the same cost of the new MII reissue. It was a steal...turned out it was already sold they just didn’t take the listing down. I probably missed it by just a few hours. Been checking every day for a good deal for months, but people are selling them on reverb for $1800-2500 which everyone on Kramerforumz agrees is overpriced. I doubt I’ll find one at that $700 price anytime soon if at all. I gave up on reverb but guitar center used is def the way to go but the good stuff moves very fast.

Last edited:

dreamspace

I feel your pain...been looking for an original 80’s era Kramer Baretta that’s not overpriced. And finally today saw an original 1987 Kramer Baretta for $700 on Guitar Center used website. Literally the same cost of the new MII reissue. It was a steal...turned out it was already sold they just didn’t take the listing down. I probably missed it by just a few hours. Been checking every day for a good deal for months, but people are selling them on reverb for $1800-2500 which everyone on Kramerforumz agrees is overpriced. I doubt I’ll find one at that $700 price anytime soon if at all. I gave up on reverb but guitar center used is def the way to go but the good stuff moves very fast.
I usually trawl through local classifieds for the best deals. Lots of garbage, but some gems here and there.

A couple of years ago I found one guy that was trying to sell a Kramer which was, in his years, "4-5 years old" - he wanted $200 for the guitar.

Turns out it was a legit, almost mint condition, Kramer Stagemaster from late 80s. Made by ESP, original Floyd-Rose, SD pickups, etc.

Unfortunately I needed the money more than the guitar, so I flipped it for almost $1000. And what's worse, the headstock got smashed in the mail. Oh well, buyer got his money through insurance, and the guitar was ultimately parted out. Fantastic guitar, really, really regret that one.

Krausewitz

Plenty of "reasonable" priced used guitars out there. I think people thought that Covid-19 made everyone broke and would be fire sale of epic proportions.
It did make people broke, and continues to do so, especially in the US. The fault of the people assuming a fire sale was largely about who owns guitars (and who owns guitars they might actually want), rather than the (ongoing!) economic devastation a global pandemic brings with it.

Simply put: families that were already living on the precipice weren’t loaded up with great musical equipment before Covid came and pulled the rug up under them.

Anyway, just this week I got a very reasonable deal on a Bad Cat Black Cat 15 (£1,100). It wasn’t a steal, by any stretch, but pretty standard here for a ‘boutique’ amp.

Pricing here in the U.K. is always high, though....and this is only partially due to import tax. I think it mostly has to do with British concepts of commerce. This country pretty much never has anything like the regular sales on music gear Americans have. Our gear starts out more expensive and the price never really drops much. People are too stubborn.

Eireguitar

Maybe it's different in Europe where I live, but I haven't found any noticable change in the last few years.

If you're patient and persistent, your piece of gear will show up at the right price, then you jump on it. If you want a specific piece of gear immediately and won't wait, it's a seller's market.

Drew66

What I see is a lot of expensive gear (what I consider overpriced but fear is the new normal) and that the few reasonably priced things that hit the market sell immediately, sometimes to flippers (happened to me this week, I was watching one guitar that sold within a day off a local store site and appeared on reverb the next day for a 25% increase...and sold within a day on reverb, just waiting to see where it pops up next and how much more it costs).

RLP

I buy all my gear used. If it's a reputable seller and the price is fair, I just buy it without asking questions. Never had any issues. As for things slipping away, yeah, that happens, but it almost always pops back up.

Cheers

Pricing is very odd for many things right now, particularly online. Good deals get scooped at lightspeed, but local deals remain as always, the most consistent way to score great deals. I dont want to reveal what i got or what i paid for it in fear it may jinx my hot streak, but I’ve gotten better deals this year than any other. Particularly stuff for playing out, big cabs, amps PA etc. some people are just giving it away.

JSutter

The priced right items move quick for sure. There have been quite a few old Fender amps priced between $100-250 here. All listed for repair/projects. They get scooped up within hours.

The only thing I missed out on got relisted at 2.5x the price. The seller couldn't tell me the model number of his guitar. He did his research and priced it accordingly. I agree if it's cheap buy first, to hell with the questions.

Trending Topics