I'm still knocked out by my 10 year old Anderson

Discussion in 'Guitars in General' started by Shovelhead, Feb 26, 2012.

1. Shovelhead

Shovelhead Member

I bought this guitar in 2002, after custom-ordering through Wildwood guitars. It's a basic Classic with a '62 Roundback neck profile and stainless frets. Mine has the old neck joint and neck plate, which has worked just fine. I'm not really sure why he changed the neck joint on later guitars. His neck joints were so well executed that it was not necessary to change. My guess is that it helps to cut down on fake Andersons, but I'm sure his new neck joint is stellar.

The body is swamp ash, and the fingerboard is African rosewood. It originally came with 3 stacked single-coils, but I ordered another pickguard and changed it over to a humbucker in the bridge. It also had a single toggle switch to cut a coil in each pickup to make them all single-coils, but I put in 3. They're wired to make each pickup have coil-cut, series or parallel options. Very helpful, depending on what tone the song calls for.

I've been gigging this guitar for 10 years now. Heavily. Not a single mark is visible on the frets, and not a single finish flaw. I know Anderson uses a very thin UV cured urethane finish, and it really holds up. The only wear anywhere on the guitar is on the gold finish of the bridge saddles and control knobs. They've begun to wear through to the silver color below.

Of course, there are lots of companies to choose from, but Anderson makes one of the finest Strat-style guitars around.

[​IMG]

Old-style, and new technology resting peacefully together:

[​IMG]

2. modernp

modernp Member

Great guitars had a hollow classic for a long time and traded it for something else. My mistake.

3. Pietro

Pietro 2-Voice Guitar Junkie and All-Around Awesome Guy

Still lovin' my 6 and 8 year old Andersons, too!

4. robertkoa

robertkoa Member

Great-I love switches to milk a lot of tones out of one ( excellent ) instrument. Stacks in Parallel can be a really quacky sound.

Still knocked out after 10 years really says a lot for the Guitar.

Have only played two Andersons but what I really liked was they both had much more acoustic unplugged volume and sustain and more bottom end than most Strats/Superstrats, which also translates IMO to the plugged in tones.

Is this a common characteristic of Andersons or just the two I played ?

5. Shovelhead

Shovelhead Member

I think it's common among Andersons. I have a pal that has 3, another that has 2, and they all share the same attribute. I used to have another, but sold it to fund another guitar. It too was very resonant, but had a V shaped neck that wasn't as perfect as the one I kept. Great guitars!

6. robertkoa

robertkoa Member

Thanks Shovelhead- I love super resonant Superstrats- I'll have to check out more Andersons..........they sometimes show up used in the $1500 range or a little less.

7. dumbell78

dumbell78 Member

Sydney by way of Muddy Water Land (Chicago)
    Great guitars!! About 10 years ago my buddy had an Anderson super strat, very similar to yours but with an alder body and a maple neck. I still say it was the best guitar I have ever played. Just a magical guitar!

I always mentioned to him that if he ever sold I would buy it on the spot. Buddy sold it on ebay years back, and man I would have loved to have it.

8. Peppy

Peppy Member

Two in my house. My son has one, I have one. Mine is even older...from 1999. Going nowhere.

9. pcbb

pcbb Member

i have a 2004 cobra thats not going anywhere :dude

10. franksguitar

franksguitar Member

I love my 1988 Anderson grand am proto

11. Simon

Simon Supporting Member

I have a 96 strat style that was refreted by Anderson with stainless.
    Every time I pick it up I can just feel the quality.

I've owned Suhr, Grosh, Tyler, and currently have a Masterbuilt Strat.
    There's just something about the Anderson that just feels so right!

12. FFTT

FFTT Member

I'm still quite happy with my Anderson built '79 Schecter PJ Bass

[​IMG]

The gold may have worn off on the tuning machine grips, but the bass is still perfect
    otherwise.

Solid one piece Hawaiian Koa Body, Pau Ferro Tele Bass Neck.

Pots are push pull for vintage or more aggressive tones.

He built this bass for me custom with John Entwistle in mind.

13. MichaelSaulnier

MichaelSaulnier Member

10 years old... it's just starting to reach its prime!

Beautiful! Keep on enjoying!

M

14. waini001

waini001 Member

I still love my hollow drop top. Thanks for posting that yours just turned 10, it reminded me that mine has too (02-10-02P). Whew, time flies.

15. mslugano

mslugano Supporting Member

Andersons are incredible. I've owned a bunch of his S shapes and a hollow T. I've ended up with a few Suhr S types though because I prefer the traditional/larger body shape. The T I owned was a great guitar but, ultimately, I couldn't live with a hollow guitar. One day (hopefully soon) I'll own another TAG T but it will be solid alder or maybe solid alder with an ash top.

16. gregc

gregc Member

I agree. I miss the A Strat I owned. I should have hung onto that one.

17. Simon

Simon Supporting Member

Are all Andersons after a certain date SS Frets? I notice none of the spec sheets to my knowledge say SS
    Anyone know that date?

I have my second Andy on the way and its 02-22-01a, hoping to make it under the wire.

18. tsar nicholas

tsar nicholas Member

LOVE these guitars. Such a great feel and one of my favorite sounds in overdrive. There's just something about the way an Anderson cuts through the mix with a gainy tone that really rox

19. superrock

superrock Silver Supporting Member

I love my '98 cobra. Butta...... Want to try a drop top classic some day when the deal is right....

20. Pietro

Pietro 2-Voice Guitar Junkie and All-Around Awesome Guy

That one is NOT SS (unless it was re-fretted... which is doubtful), but is still, certainly, an awesome guitar. It is BFTS I am pretty sure. I think that changeover happened in the 90s.

Early 2002 saw the changeover. fwiw, I have an 04 Hollow Cobra and an 06 Crowdster Plus 2, both with SS, both played a LOT... both with zero fret wear.