• The Gear Page Apparel & Merch Shop is Open!

Based on member demand, The Gear Page is pleased to announce that our Apparel Merch Shop is now open. The shop’s link is in the blue Navigation bar (on the right side), “Shop,” with t-shirts, hats, neck buffs, and stickers to start. Here’s the direct link: www.thegearpageshop.com

You’ll find exclusive high-quality apparel and merchandise; all items are ethical, sustainably produced, and we will be continuously sourcing and adding new choices. 

We can ship internationally. All shipping is at cost.

im struggling to get a strat-like tone out of a p90

ThehotP90

I know I know they are different pickups but I saw some guy on youtube a while ago playing some SRV like stuff on some p90s. I've been trying to emulate that. any help?

edit: with that being said I'm not a fan of the neck pickup in general and I wanna replace it with a more strat like one but I don't know-how. the pickup is a SD phat cat

Last edited:

Bossanova

Gold Supporting Member
I know I know they are different pickups but I saw some guy on youtube a while ago playing some SRV like stuff on some p90s. I've been trying to emulate that. any help?
Lower the pickup, raise the individual screws/pole pieces... get a Kemper... or a two rock/super reverb... and lots of practisssssss

what amp are you using? Don’t say Plexi

edit: just saw your username. The hotter the P90, the farther from SRV you will be.

ThehotP90

Lower the pickup, raise the individual screws/pole pieces... get a Kemper... or a two rock/super reverb... and lots of practisssssss

what amp are you using? Don’t say Plexi

edit: just saw your username. The hotter the P90, the farther from SRV you will be.
lmao yeah the name tab. so if I lower the pickups it will get closer?

Gclef

Yamaha and reverend solved this.

It's called a bass cut.

Reverend is adjustable with a pot, while Yamaha makes do with an on/off push/pull.

I have a revstar rs502t and cutting the bass kinda get me into fat Tele land. Close enough for me.

The bass cut also works great for high gain. No mud.

There are diagrams and such online.

Good luck

I don’t know - what has been suggested will lower the output and that may help, but I think this mission is kind of like taking a blue tube of paint and asking how you make it show up yellow.

Strummerfan

Less gain at the amp, more highs, less lows. No p90 really sounds like a Strat pickup, so go to the amp and get it at least in the same vibe.

Strummerfan

In addition to my previous reply, don't try to sound like SRV tone-wise, just look for a tone that you like the sound of when you play his style of music. People get too hung up on sounding like their heroes. Just find the sounds you like for the songs you love. You might find some magic on the journey.

ThehotP90

[/QUOTE]
In addition to my previous reply, don't try to sound like SRV tone-wise, just look for a tone that you like the sound of when you play his style of music. People get too hung up on sounding like their heroes. Just find the sounds you like for the songs you love. You might find some magic on the journey.
hell yeah, brother that's the attitude.

the answer is simple, but unpopular.
you'll need his amp, and his guitar to put your p-90 into.
Or, an amp and guitar similar tone-wise to his equipment.
Everything is relative, if your guitar is not the same or similar to his wood-wise ( uh, not just wood type, but sonic grade of that wood type) it ain't gonna happen.
If this is the case, there ain't no amount of pickup raising or knob twiddling that will get you what you want.

The donor strat will need to be thin sounding, when added to the fatness of the p-90, it might just equal out. p-90's in strats are a good band aid for a crappy , thin sounding strat.

dancehall

Yamaha and reverend solved this.

It's called a bass cut.

Reverend is adjustable with a pot, while Yamaha makes do with an on/off push/pull.

I have a revstar rs502t and cutting the bass kinda get me into fat Tele land. Close enough for me.

The bass cut also works great for high gain. No mud.

There are diagrams and such online.

Good luck
I love my Reverend, and I love the bass contour, but for me it still can't make the neck P90 sound Stratty. I've always thought it would be a great idea for them to do a neck single / bridge P90 guitar, where the bass contour only affects the bridge pickup.

bigben55

Try adding a kinman style treble bleed to the guitar.

Really, the thing that makes good P90s so awesome isn't the pickup, its YOU. No other pickup is as dependant on and responsive to pick hand attack. And its up there when it comes to guitar vol and tone knob manipulations. You really need to "play" the pickups AND the guitar to get the most out of them. I can get SRV tones out of my Wolfetones, but its not as easy as just grabbing my strat.

Last edited:

edward

Silver Supporting Member
That's like saying, "I'm having a hard time getting my tuna to taste like trout".
I was going to offer my own snarky reply, but this is just so much better! :)
And yes, get an EQ pedal and get 'er close enough for rocknroll.

For the neck pup, I personally found the Gibson P90 too thick for my liking for the neck position as I love the P90 (perfection, IMO) in the bridge spot. Tried this and that to address the neck tone, and got it close to what I wanted, but not quite. The ultimate solution was a Lollar Staple P90 in the neck. The tone really is very close to the Gibs when vol knob is on 10,, but the Lollar is less "wooly" esp in the bottom end, and therefore has better indiv note distinction and clarity ...this on 10 ...even with crunchy OD. Now roll the vol knob back it it cleans up faaaar better than the Gibs P90 cleans up, and can really get chimey in a way the Gibs pup could not. All to my ears and opinion, mind you, but that's one option for the neck pup.

Edward

Last edited:

Trending Topics