Im stuck trying to reorder my Pedaltrain 3...help!

mattymel

Man. I finally have enough pedals to do 2 boards: a Mini (for rehearsals) and PT3 (for more effects driven gigs).

Had a blast putting the Mini together. But this PT3 is turning into kind of a nightmare. Here is what I'm working with:

TC Polytune mini
Xotic SL Drive
EH Freeze
Teese Picture Wah
Hilton Pro Volume
TC Ditto Looper mini
Xotic SP Comp
Moog MF102 Ring Mod
Diamond MLJr. Delay
MJM London Fuzz
Caitlinbread Silverkiss OD
Rockett WTFuzz
Rockett Archer
Sey.Dunc. VaporTrail delay
Fulltone MDV vibe
Rockett Boing verb

This will be my main touring board with my weird indie band, but also a moody singer songwriter lady that likes lots of nontrad guitar sounds, and a weekly free improv gig where anything goes. Play that one with a vintage Korg synth player, drums, and bass.

Needless to say I do a good amount of atmospheric type delay stuff (clean volume swells, distorted swells with the SL into the Hilton, Freeze pedal drone loops, tap tempo, etc).

So the first 5 I listed (tuner-wah) are pretty well set for my needs. Assume I keep my Vapor Trail delay somewhere after the volume, set mostly for long delay swells, or occasional quick shifts to slap back sounds.

After that it becomes less obvious. My latest addition is the Moog MF102 Ring Mod. A amazing and complicated tool. It also doubles as the best tremelo I've ever heard.

I've already added a SP compressor to the chain just to work in tandem with the MF102, keeping my guitar input signal from dying out on very long notes, which was an issue inherent to the noise gate on the circuit.

My thinking for this part is: Ditto Loop>SP
Comp>MF102. This ensures the signal going into the MF stays strong, and I also have the option to start a loop and then run it through the MF. From there it can get PRETTY OUT THERE and my setup basically starts sounding more like a poor man's psychedelic sequencer.

It makes sense to me to have the Memory Lane Jr delay after the Moog MF102. Tap tempo delay options on any weird loops I run through the MF102...it's the icing on the cake.

Then I get into the dirt. Makes sense to me to keep dirt after the MF102 as adding overtones to the signal going IN to a ring modulator is kind of overkill. Though after can sound very interesting. Though it's usually pretty distorted and weird as is.

Anyway, I have a MJM London Fuzz (germ), a Caitlinbread Silverkiss OD (main OD sounds), and a Rockett WTF. I've tried many different orders for all of these. But mainly I keep them close together because they are all side input/out pedals, and I like to stack them. And my Teese Picture wah sounds bad if I put fuzz or OD before it.

From there we are winding down. This last section I usually keep together mainly because their inputs are all on the top of the pedals. Sometimes that's all you can think about anymore...

Anyways I have the Rockett Archer Boost/OD>Seymour Duncan Vapor Trail delay>Fulltone Mini Deja Vibe>Rockett Boing Reverb.

That's it.

Needless to say it's not that easy. That is my ideal. Making it happen is another matter.

My preference is to keep the Hilton Volume and Wah towards the bottom right of the board (I'm right handed/footed). Id also like to have quick and accurate access to the TC Ditto Loop (it's hard to turn it on/off accurately even if it's easy to reach) and obviously to the Memory Lane delay tap tempo as well. Same goes for the Silverkiss as I'm turning it on/off often.

Any helpful hints or suggestions would be greatly appreciated. I'll def post some pics if I ever manage to pull this off.

mattymel

One option I have already thought about is having the Moog MF102 section as its own separate pedalboard. I could see doing some gigs without it. Not ideal though.

goodhonk

Ha. Thanks. I have a gig tonight, so it's go time.
Have you considered putting the wah and vp on the floor? Not as simple to set up, but i always preferred the feel of them on the floor as opposed to the board anyway.

Maybe ditch the tuner pedal and go with a clip on? The polytune clip on works very well.

Multicellular

Have you considered putting the wah and vp on the floor? Not as simple to set up, but i always preferred the feel of them on the floor as opposed to the board anyway.

Maybe ditch the tuner pedal and go with a clip on? The polytune clip on works very well.
I was thinking that too. You can mount one of these junction boxes under the PT and make it easier, faster, cleaner to set up. http://www.americanloopers.com/collections/5-junction-boxes-patch-bays-signal-split

tubekingsley

Wah and VP really need to live on the floor, at the right front of board, facing at a 45 degree angle. Its difficult to use either pedal, mounted on a Pedaltrain, that slopes upward- it's up too high. I tried putting an expression pedal on a PT3, once, but it sat too high to be used without a struggle. Plus, I've owned a PT3, I find it hard to imagine all those pedals, AND the wah and VP will all fit ? I would go guitar > wah, OR go guitar>tuner (in far right corner of board) > wah> back to board. You can still keep the volume pedal on floor, and place it anywhere in the chain you want- you just have to feed cables up through PT3 slat opening. One from the pedal before the Hilton, and one from Hilton to next pedal in chain. The cables can live in the before and after pedals, and when you pack up your board, you just find a place to lay them, where the plugs don't scratch your pedals. If you're not doing a bunch of quick violin swells with the Hilton, I guess you could avoid running cables off board, and just mount the Hilton in lower corner. But the wah, no way- it needs to be on the flat floor.

Last edited:

mattymel

Hmm. Interesting. I'm used to both being on the board, but it would open up a lot of real estate. And both are rugged enough that I wouldn't be worried
about keeping them in the soft shell zipper or my Mono case. When I'm on tour I use the PT3 flight case, which has a big side compartment.

Yes. I like this.

Today I kind of ran out of time. Had to basically fall back on my old setup with 30 minutes to spare before I had to load up. Worked fine though. Great g went well, and I am loving the JRockett Boing in place of the HofF verb. Cool verb!

Realized today that I am in drastic need of a few of those "no cable" straight "out it in" pedal connectors. What are those called? I looked on Sweetwater, Musicians Friend, and Prymaxe and didn't see them, though I know they exist!

I was stressing because I did recently buy some Voodoo Labs 2 to 1 cables in an attempt to power some more pedals off my PP2. Plugged them up, and none of the pedals worked with the those cables. Not sure if they just required more juice, or if I need to flip the white toggle on the PP2, but no dice.

The pedals I was trying to power were the Rockett Boing, SD Vapor Trail delay, Rockett Archer and EH Freeze. Any ideas as to why it didn't work? Ended up resorting to the One Spot to get me through for the gig. Some buzz, but oh well.

TBC...

tatoi

Seems like you've got things sorted out already, but I just wanted to tell you that I enjoyed reading your 1st post. Some fun ideas by someone who plays gigs frequently!

tubekingsley

The EHX Freeze requires 140 ma, so that is a problem if you're splitting out of a 150 ma slot. But no sound out of either makes little sense to me. Try powering your SP Comp and SL Drive with the same splitter cable to see if it works. If not, plug your one spot daisy chain into the pp2, and try with SP and SL. The VL splitters are called Output Splitter Adaptor- Ground Lifted. Make sure that's what you have. Stay away from those "no cable" adaptors- they put too much strain on your pedal jacks. Just put your wah on flat ground, and that should give you the room you need for patch cables. Lava tightropes are really small, so they may suit you. Curious about your pp2 issue...

mattymel

Yes I've read up on the couplers being a bad deal. Too bad. Something very appealing about the idea. Even my 1" Lava cables aren't exactly right. I'm going to have to splurge on a kit and cut them perfectly to what I need. I'm sure that would be quite satisfying actually. Maybe not $90 satisfying, but RESPONSIBLE.

mattymel

Yeah I'm going to be bummed if none of these cable work with my VDLs doubler connectors.

Supposedly the wah is a candidate. But most of the others seem to require more power, other than my fuzz pedals which I have always used cheap alkalines with. Doh!

mattymel

If I take off the wah and Volume I'll have plenty of room for the Moog setup.

Gonna have to get on that later tonight.

Trending Topics