I'm thinking about an overdrive/distortion pedal that...

Discussion in 'Effects, Pedals, Strings & Things' started by brewbaker, Dec 16, 2009.

1. brewbaker

brewbaker Supporting Member

...has angular, as opposed to smooth qualities. Sort of like Roy Buchanan's Tele tone, where the microphonics from his pickup were integral to his sound--and he used them so well.

So a pedal that throws in harmonics and overtones in a less predicatable way than your average TS-style for example would be what I'm thinking about. Some fuzzes probably would work but I don't want something fizzy or overly distorted--I still want the tone of the guitar foremost. Maybe a treble booster? Maybe whatever the pedal, the amp has to cranked enough to get amplifier distortion? Just brainstorming...

Does anyone have ideas--does this exist?

2. furry

furry Senior Member

sounds like a modded Boss BD-2 with the gain cranked would work. so would a Timmy for that matter.

3. thedroid

thedroid Member

A treble-booster isn't it. That just cuts bottom end and adds a slight fuzziness.

4. brewbaker

brewbaker Supporting Member

I had a Keeley BD-2 but sold it because it seemed fizzy to me when you turned the drive up with the volume below 12 o'clock. It seemed to only sound good when you had the volume and drive really cranked which was too loud for most venues.

Thanks for the suggestion though.

Does a Timmy have more gain than an LTD or an RC Booster? I'm familiar with those.

5. Cap'nMayhem

Cap'nMayhem Member

The Menatone amp based pedals let all the harmonic texture and complexity through. Try a Top Boost In A Can.

6. sanhozay

sanhozay klon free since 2009 Silver Supporting Member

Cusack Screamer Fuzz! Insane clarity and when you roll that fuzz in people will know you're talking to them. Great pedal, can't understand why there's not a 200 page thread on this pedal.